"You are What Your Record Says You Are" B. Parcells | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

"You are What Your Record Says You Are" B. Parcells

They, UMASS, are not that bad, coming from almost nothing. I believe I was the only poster here saying it would take Babers some time, though I don't feel impelled to look through old threads to footnote this. I wasn't making it sound like a magic wand could be waved and everything would change, as others were
lol No. You weren't the only poster saying it would take time. I can't think of any responsible posters that thought this would be a quick turnabout. No one thought a magic wand could be waved. you were however, the one that said that UMass would go to a bowl game this year. That the ACC couldn't sleep on taking UMass before they got scooped up by the B1G. That was you. Umass has 2 wins. They beat two tomato cans. They aren't good. and it was laughable to think that the B1G or any P-5 conference would want them. The P-5 doesn't want UConn an they have twice as much to offer. but on something we do care about, Syracuse football is on track. i think they get their two wins and get to 6 wins this year and it's onward and upward from there.

over the past few years we've seen a sharp drop off in quality of football , basketball and lacrosse (our major sports.) this to me suggests something more than individual coaches. is it the ACC move ? or do we have a problem in the higher echelons of our universities sports over seers ? we are trending downward.

Last year we lost to FSU 45-14. Lost to Clemson 54-0. Lost to Louisville 62-28. Lost to USF 45-20. Gave up 76 to Pitt. Gave up 50 to ND.

Some of you are intentionally being blind to the improvement. Continued improvement will lead to more wins.

Agendas.

Right. But I don’t understand the purpose of the “agenda”. What do these few people want? If Dino flops(he’s not so far and I’m confident he won’t), this program would be dead in the water.

over the past few years we've seen a sharp drop off in quality of football , basketball and lacrosse (our major sports.) this to me suggests something more than individual coaches. is it the ACC move ? or do we have a problem in the higher echelons of our universities sports over seers ? we are trending downward.

Basketball: sanctions and lame duck JB
Football: Shafer sucked
Lacrosse: talent spreading out to more schools

They, UMASS, are not that bad, coming from almost nothing. I believe I was the only poster here saying it would take Babers some time, though I don't feel impelled to look through old threads to footnote this. I wasn't making it sound like a magic wand could be waved and everything would change, as others were
Count me in too. I've been trying to talk sense into people regarding how long a turn around can take, since
Babers name first was mentioned. If i recall, I think even Dino himself told everyone it will take time and patience. If dino is the guy to turn us around, I feel like we are about exactly where we should expect to be at this point, with the trajectory I expected. We were an absolute embarrassment when Dino arrived. We improved in his first year offensively and proved when we play well, we can beat a decent top 25 team. In year 2, our offense is still learning how to score while racking up yards, and our defense has improved significantly, and proved that when we play well, we can knock off an elite team, and are now good enough that when we bring our c game, we can still have a chance to knock off a good top 25 team. Next year, I would expect the offense to become more efficient. When we put up 450-500 yards of offense, we'll be scoring 40-45 points, instead of 24. I think we'll have a much improved running game. Our O line is sooo young. Throw in the fact that we're bringing in 2 of the highest rated players on the line that we've had in years (temper expectations, they'll be freshman), and return our best offensive lineman in Aaron Roberts, and we'll have some nice capable depth. I feel like our defense may take a step back next year with the loss of our LB's, but will overall be an avg college defense.

I'm appauled that you are convinced that this

The reason I asked about Scott Frost was he is the coach everyone loves right now. Major schools are willing to pay major dollars to put their school's future in his hands. Given the talent and schedule what do you think Syracuse's record should be this year with coach that knows what he is doing? I have a particular interest in getting your views on what success is with this years team and schedule. I think that the kids are being coached up, playing close games that they wouldn't be in otherwise with a less effective leader. I feel as though you think differently. What record is acceptable for this years team with this schedule in your mind?
Again, I have no opinion at all about Scott Frost. He could hit me over the head with a two-by-four (which you would surely like) and I wouldn't know who he was.

I stated several times: 6 wins 6 losses in year two, a .500 record.

9C0C4A58-3A24-4773-AF08-D217F6F01D11.jpeg
View attachment 114504
Was thinking of "Kraken". Nastiest liquid garbage ever distilled...
Angostura 7 yr. I’ll bring you a bottle at the western Michigan tailgate next year.

If you are talking about Cade Carney he was injured in the Louisville game and required surgery. Don't think he will be back for the SU game. And Dortch is done for the season.
Bummer he's injured. That is the player.

“If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms” - Mike Ditka.

See, this could be applied to kicking FG’s too, so going for it before half was the right call. But we should’ve thrown a pass into the end zone at the end. Ditka says so.

"Ninety percent of the game is half mental."

- Former MLB Outfielder Jim Wohlford

There are many posters here who promised that if the old coaching staff was dispatched and a new competent one was hired, this team had the talent to win and make bowls immediately. They relentlessly bashed SS for moral victories and making excuses and yet apologize for the current coach doing the same.

(Started reading this thread, and was def like "needs more couscous")

Here's the thing with Shafer vs Babers: It's about where we are headed. Under Shafer, it became very clear that it wouldn't be up. With Babers, it's clearly up.

The Clemson win is bigger than an win since Mac roamed the sidelines. The end.

My spurious and outrageous claims are never directed against a player, coach or the program.

I don't know - you seem to claim things about programs (UMASS) and players (Hunt for Heisman!) then they wet the bed. I think your spurious claims may be of the cursed variety, lol.

Right. But I don’t understand the purpose of the “agenda”. What do these few people want? If Dino flops(he’s not so far and I’m confident he won’t), this program would be dead in the water.

Stockholm syndrome

Again, I have no opinion at all about Scott Frost. He could hit me over the head with a two-by-four (which you would surely like) and I wouldn't know who he was.

I stated several times: 6 wins 6 losses in year two, a .500 record.

So it doesn't matter what wins? I mean you're just going with .500?

Would you describe the Lord of the Rings as some smallish people chucking jewelry into a fire?

So it doesn't matter what wins? I mean you're just going with .500?

Would you describe the Lord of the Rings as some smallish people chucking jewelry into a fire?
He doesn't take in to consideration the schedule. For example, next year we play North Carolina in our cross over game. If we swapped them for Miami this year, that wouldn't have made a difference?

This is what bothers me most about the Shafer people they think only Shafer is a great guy.
Big deal he is a great guy. So is Dino and so was Greg Robinson.
Robinson when he was hired would jog around campus and was beyond nice. He would buy students drinks at Starbucks on Marshall.

Shafer was hired to be a Head Coach.
He couldn’t even prepare the team. It was awful how we were prepared.

The uncompetitive games time after time. Thank goodness he is gone and we have a real HC.

The program is moving upward.

lol No. You weren't the only poster saying it would take time. I can't think of any responsible posters that thought this would be a quick turnabout. No one thought a magic wand could be waved. you were however, the one that said that UMass would go to a bowl game this year. That the ACC couldn't sleep on taking UMass before they got scooped up by the B1G. That was you. Umass has 2 wins. They beat two tomato cans. They aren't good. and it was laughable to think that the B1G or any P-5 conference would want them. The P-5 doesn't want UConn an they have twice as much to offer. but on something we do care about, Syracuse football is on track. i think they get their two wins and get to 6 wins this year and it's onward and upward from there.
UMASS lost a lot of close games ang App State is not a tomato can.

Should you be THE poster calling out others for making outrageous claims?

Is he the guy who invented the question mark?

Anybody? Anybody?

44cuse

(Started reading this thread, and was def like "needs more couscous")

Here's the thing with Shafer vs Babers: It's about where we are headed. Under Shafer, it became very clear that it wouldn't be up. With Babers, it's clearly up.

The Clemson win is bigger than an win since Mac roamed the sidelines. The end.
Shafer didn't have a junior Dungey, who is playing like one of the best QB's in college. Your one of the people who thinks Addazio can't coach, well when he has a competent QB it sure looks like he can coach.

I don't know how even a cynic could look at the team this year and not see dramatic progress over the recent past. We're competitive again and weren't for a long time. How does that not feel great all by itself? With several errors on special teams & questionable coaching decisions, we still had a chance to send the game into overtime yesterday. That was a game we could have won. We need all parts of the team, including coaches, to perform consistently well, at least if we want to win instead of come close. However, the offense & defense put us in a position where we could have won. In the end, a few miscues cost us another big win on the road but we were a play away not 4 scores away. We've got to be competitive before consistent wins will come and we outplayed Florida State on the field in many ways. A few less errors and we'll have a win on the scoreboard, too...

It is hard to recruit in your second year when people are calling for your firing. Most of the best players on this team are previous staff recruits. And many of them are very fine young men.

People were excited for his second year, he got over 40K in the building for Villanova. It was straight downhill from there.

He's a coordinator. Bud Foster is a coordinator. That's no great sin.

Not really disagreeing with anything you stated. But, playing devils advocate relative to recruiting, aren't the guys we have playing significant roles for Dino in year 2 still mostly Shafer guys? Dino has only gone through really one recruiting period that was solely his own. I don't see many/any true freshmen on the field. So, how bad are these Shafer recruits? Babers undoubtedly has coached many of these guys up...

Some are sure. But they are in the Dino training program now.