You never know who you are going to meet in the Mountains | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

You never know who you are going to meet in the Mountains

3P% can also be related to how much defenses pay attention to you. We've seen numerous examples of complimentary players who benefit from clean looks earlier in their careers, who struggle more when they become the focal point of what defenses want to take away later on.
yeah, that's part of what I meant by shot quality but was too lazy to elaborate but yes i agree completely

yeah, that's part of what I meant by shot quality but was too lazy to elaborate but yes i agree completely

No worries -- my quick read skimming your post interpreted that as "shot selection," but I get what you're saying.

Joe's family probably thinks the team would've been better with Joe at the 2 and Torrence at the 1
They'd be right
But the team would've really been better with Buddy at the 2 and Torrence at the 1
Be thankful you didn't get Torrence at the 1, Girards

3P% can also be related to how much defenses pay attention to you. We've seen numerous examples of complimentary players who benefit from clean looks earlier in their careers, who struggle more when they become the focal point of what defenses want to take away later on.
Yeah. You can expand that to overall FG% too. You saw that with Todd Burgan. His best FG% was during his first 2 years in a sidekick role. His next two years he scored more, but at a lower percentage.

ugh, joe spending 40 minutes sprinting up and down the baseline for threes with his momentum going the other way ala Cooney is not good - hell it wasn't good for cooney either
Debatable, but Joe hasn't appeared to be a high stamina guy -aware of the asthma.
A lot of flat-footed low-effort time on D to keep going 35+ minutes.
I like Joe, but max 25" a the 2 with 100% effort would be best vs energy conservation mode.
Can't see Joe able to race around the floor like Cooney while playing big minutes.

Yeah. You can expand that to overall FG% too. You saw that with Todd Burgan. His best FG% was during his first 2 years in a sidekick role. His next two years he scored more, but at a lower percentage.
JG3 had some interesting numbers shooting this season.

88.2% from the FT line
40.3% from the 3 point circle
and
37.6% from shot attempts inside the 3 point circle.

That is one area he really needs to improve. His struggles shooting mid range jumpers, runners in the lane, even layups really hurt his efficiency on offense. If he can keep his 3 point shooting percentage above 40% and get his non three point shooting percentage even to around 45%, he will be a lot more effective and valuable.

88.2% from the FT line
and

That is one area he really needs to improve. His struggles shooting mid range jumpers, runners in the lane, even layups really hurt his efficiency on offense. If he can keep his 3 point shooting percentage above 40% and get his non three point shooting percentage even to around 45%, he will be a lot more effective and valuable.

He gets blocked a lot when he goes inside

I think that less is more with many players including Joe. Cut his minutes back into the 14 15 minutes a half and he will be more productive. Shooters will conserve energy on the D side once they start to tire. Give the kid a rest play him 28 minutes or so a game and i bet he is a much better player

I think that less is more with many players including Joe. Cut his minutes back into the 14 15 minutes a half and he will be more productive. Shooters will conserve energy on the D side once they start to tire. Give the kid a rest play him 28 minutes or so a game and i bet he is a much better player
One other point the ladies that i had dinner with were super nice. Neither one was a big JB fan but they were not mean about it. I found it really odd that they didnt think Joe was getting a fair shake from Jim.
Im sitting there sinking. Wow im the guy who says that Joe is Jims third son and these gals are peed that Jim isnt treating Joe fairly. Go figure

Obviously. What i was told was that the family wanted Joe to go away to school. To experience a new environment. Joe being a homebody wanted to stay close to home.
This wasnt an SU or BC or other school decision.

It was a stay home vs go away decision.
There was so much more to it than that. Sorry there just was…

88.2% from the FT line
and

I'm wondering if his size and lack of athleticism will ever let him be efficient inside the arc. He'll never be a blow by guy and he can't elevate enough to make up for his height. He's got some craftiness to his game, but is that enough?

There was so much more to it than that. Sorry there just was…
Question that you or others might know the answer to. Did Joe have a committable offer from Duke? The ladies said that he did.

I'm wondering if his size and lack of athleticism will ever let him be efficient inside the arc. He'll never be a blow by guy and he can't elevate enough to make up for his height. He's got some craftiness to his game, but is that enough?

His 2PT%s have been:
(career .382)

sutomcat, imo, is right that he has to find a way to improve in this area. My take is he should find one move that he can count on.

I can't imagine his wingspan is that great and he isn't jumping out of the gym, so I don't think he's going to jump up in % near the rim, but I do think he can find a running floater that he can get over defenders if he can get penetration into the lane.

I don't know how much higher that 2PT% will get to, but if he wants to keep improving, he has to find another move in his bag.

Unfortunately, I think the likelihood is he will probably hover around that same %, but fingers crossed.

His 2PT%s have been:
(career .382)

sutomcat, imo, is right that he has to find a way to improve in this area. My take is he should find one move that he can count on.

I can't imagine his wingspan is that great and he isn't jumping out of the gym, so I don't think he's going to jump up in % near the rim, but I do think he can find a running floater that he can get over defenders if he can get penetration into the lane.

I don't know how much higher that 2PT% will get to, but if he wants to keep improving, he has to find another move in his bag.

Unfortunately, I think the likelihood is he will probably hover around that same %, but fingers crossed.
So it sounds like you agree with both of us. He needs to find a way to improve inside the arc but am not confident he can do it.

Question that you or others might know the answer to. Did Joe have a committable offer from Duke? The ladies said that he did.

Don't want to speak out of turn here, but no.

Joe had initial interest from lots of schools, but they kind of pocket vetoed him once they had a chance to see him live, or got him on campus. I think lots of schools were initially curious because of the superlative scoring, the then-recent comparisons to Jimmer, etc. but once they had a chance to evaluate more in depth, his limitations got flagged.

I think it basically came down to ND, BC, and us.

So it sounds like you agree with both of us. He needs to find a way to improve inside the arc but am not confident he can do it.

Yep. Hope for the best, of course, but wouldn't bet on it.

Don't want to speak out of turn here, but no.

Joe had initial interest from lots of schools, but they kind of pocket vetoed him once they had a chance to see him live, or got him on campus. I think lots of schools were initially curious because of the superlative scoring, the then-recent comparisons to Jimmer, etc. but once they had a chance to evaluate more in depth, his limitations got flagged.

I think it basically came down to ND, BC, and us.
Thank you.

Thank you.

But I do think he may have been "offered" verbally -- at least enough to get him on their campus. Might not have been a formally communicated offer as much as an expression of interest.

None of us really know probably but my guess is going to be yes. I say that because K and Scheyer had an in home with him and had dinner with the family. Is that typical for someone you haven’t offered?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom