You never know who you are going to meet in the Mountains | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

You never know who you are going to meet in the Mountains

Against one team in one game. For most of the year, Symir didn't do much and didn't look all that good. let's see what Joe can do playing an entire year being guarded by athletic 6-5 guys that Buddy had to go up against instead of 6-2 pt guards.

I bet we’ll go back to previous years and see Joe coming off screens a lot to get him room.

joe winds down . call it cardio , pressure whatever. give him 30 minutes he'll be fine.

Last edited:
I'm not running the kid down. Just that there is a difference between the guys that guarded him as a 1 and the guys that will guard him as a 2. there is a reason most 2 guards are not 6-1.

No doubt. That’s why I think he’ll come off a lot of screens. I’d like to see some pick and pops with him and Cole. We used that with Lydon some.

Exactly. Joes 3 point pct will drop to around 35-36pct next year…maybe lower. He will face tougher shots and he will be expected by his coach to take them.
I wonder how much having a true PG and running a more well rounded offense with increased use of inside play will mitigate that.

There are only two people in the Girard family that matter. Dad and Mom.
Yeah and that recruiting story about Gmac being the lead is just not true. The whole dynamic here is because Girard is a JB recruit

I’d bet Joe is 40+% next year….
... at Iona!

pitino-smile-google2.jpg

ovcina's green light will never make sense to me

they let him shoot 153 threes here and he made 37 of them
my green light threshold would normally be about 36%. of course i used elvir as an extreme example .
on the other hand at 6'11" who was gonna block it ? ( he avg'd 13 minutes a game 1 3pta and 1 block.)

He better start running a lot of wind sprints, and doing some HIIT to prepare himself for the Cooney role!!
gerry is gonna take him fishing this summer to whip him into shape.

He better start running a lot of wind sprints, and doing some HIIT to prepare himself for the Cooney role!!

Won’t be that extreme. More along the lines of Andy.

Although he has put together some impressive stats over his 3 years….it certainly hasn’t been easy on him for numerous reasons….. 1.) he’s been forced into a position that doesn’t exactly suit him and he knows it 2.) he reads and senses everything, he knows the majority of the fan base was upset that KR left and many blamed Joe (even though it wasn’t his fault) 3.) he figured he would get a little more than roughly 60-90 seconds a game at his natural position playing the 2G (Buddy typically would sit right before the 8 minute media TO, and then come right back in after the first whistle) 4.) I’m sure there is more 5.) I’m certain there is more

I live 15 minutes away from Glens Falls, and a LOT of basketball minds wanted him to choose Notre Dame, thinking their style was better suited for his game. And as a 2nd choice, BC. They were all in agreement that the SU zone wasn’t an ideal fit.
Joe might get killed playing a man to man defense. I think he chose wisely.

Joe should stick it out, graduate, and then do a post-grad year at another school if he wants to try something different.

All credit to him for his improvements on O this year, but Newhouser is right, if he gets in a system that plays man, which is almost anywhere, and especially a system where there is a lot of switching, he's going to be hunted every possession and put into a blender unless he drops down a level to maybe A10 or something, and even then it may be dicey.
His biggest improvement was not being sick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom