your first su home game | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

your first su home game

Mine too.

Hmm, what J S's do I know ...
JS Actually is "Jersey Shore", because I live in NJ near the Shore (and not because of those yahoos on NYC.) The J does work for my first name, John, though...

su vs navy nov 11 1978

last game at archbold -
Same here. Had some of the turf in a bag for several years. My next game was the first game at the Dome.

Vs Pitt in a blow out I believe in '96. I was sitting next to the tunnel and after the game (not 100% serious or expecting him to) I shouted to Kevin Abrams to see if he'd give me his gloves. He's like "sure" and throws them up to me, what a nice guy!

9/26/59 against Kansas. We won 35-21

It was Ernie Davis' first game, also. And the first win in our undefeated, National Championship season!

Naively, I thought it would always be like that.
That reminds me. I wasn't around yet but I remember my dad telling the story about him going to the KU - SU game in 1964. My dad went to Kansas but was transplanted here (worked for GE) He said he went to the game to see Gayle Sayers but a back by the name of Floyd Little stole the show! Eventually he (my dad) became a Syracuse fan. :)

That reminds me. I wasn't around yet but I remember my dad telling the story about him going to the KU - SU game in 1964. My dad went to Kansas but was transplanted here (worked for GE) He said he went to the game to see Gayle Sayers but a back by the name of Floyd Little stole the show! Eventually he (my dad) became a Syracuse fan. :)
The back-up KU quarterback in 1964 was Sid Micek. Ironically, Sid later became the #2 guy in Institutional Advancement (fund-raising) at SU. He then became the president of the University of Illinois Foundation. A lot of Syracuse folks (probably some on this board) knew Sid very well during the many years he was at SU.

September 5, 1987
Syracuse 35 Maryland 11
Not sure I was quite as naive as CTO 28 years earlier, but it was a great four years to be an SU student / sports fan.

1974 opener win over Oregon State -- first game of the Frank Maloney era/error. We threw about 3 passes the whole game. Ken Kinsey, a local kid, ran for about 200 yds.

First year my dad and I had season tickets (we had them for about 10 years through the 90s and the very beginning of the 00s). I believe it was 1992. Syracuse vs Texas. The game where the end zone railing collapsed and fans spilled out onto the field.

Driving away from the Dome we saw Keith Jackson and Bob Griese actually walking down the hill to the Sheriton. I yelled "Go Cuse!" And Keith nodded at me. I was 14 and it was a magical day. We won 31-21 I believe.

November 83, boston college.

some short kid wore a running back # and played QB for the clowns. i basically went to see him and not the Orange, as my allegiances were split then.

and thus began a lot of game watching for what i consider our best game and greatest football rival.

starting with that game and running for the next 2o years, id say i missed the clowns only a handful of times. 5 tops, maybe 6.

glad to see the clowns back on the sched every year.

not a fan of it being on Thanksgiving Weekend as far as attending goes, but will enjoy it on the telly.

September 5, 1987
Syracuse 35 Maryland 11
Not sure I was quite as naive as CTO 28 years earlier, but it was a great four years to be an SU student / sports fan.

25-11

25-11
Honestly, couldn't remember the score. Goes to show you that you can't trust everything you read on Wikipedia ... But I think we knew that already.

1994 vs. OU as a freshman.

This was my first also. Horrible first half and then Kevin mason almost brought us back. The graves to mcnabb bridge year. Other than the outcome great first game.

su vs navy nov 11 1978

last game at archbold -
I believe it was a game at Archbold against a really bad Iowa team on 9/20/75.

My memory is that Dave Jacobs kicked a FG late in the game to win it for the Orangemen. When I googled to see if I could find anything on the game, I found that my memory was solid on this one. Attendance was 19K.

Vividly remember running down the hill from the campus after the game with my brother, both of us pretending we were Jacobs.

Good times.

10/1/1994 - Syracuse beats undefeated Virginia Tech 28-20

A 12 year old becomes hooked. Despite getting a spit wad shot directly into my ear by a group of nearby kids during the game.

October 26, 1963 SU beat the Oregon State Beavers 31-8. Wally Mehle and Rich King split duty at QB, Jim Nance and Billy Hunter were in the backfield but I only remember Hunter. Beavers had a wide receiver who was terrific but I can't remember his name. I can still see images from that game in my mind's eye.

BTW SU sucked at BB at that time and was in the midst of setting a record losing streak for NCAA Div 1 program. From 1960 to 1962 we were 14-54. Football was king and then a couple of guys named Bing and Boehme showed up.

I can't remember which, I was very young, but my Dad used to always take me to the Navy games in the early '70s.

Great thread. Mine was the 1990 SU-MSU tie game. Marvin Graves' freshman year. Ending sucked but we got high after the game.

This was my first game, as well. I didn't get high after the game... but that is mostly because I was nine years old.

Ball State in 1993, who I believed featured all-american punter Brad Maynard.

The first game I ever attended in the dome was the Eagles vs. Saints. I didn't know the game became such a storm.
http://syracuseb4.blogspot.com/2008/08/august-23-1981.html

Ugh. I was at that game, trying to recover from the the worst hangover i've ever had. My best friend's parents had a camp on Sandy Pond, and I got loaded the night before drinking Tanguray and Tonics... LOTS of them. Threw up my toenails that night, woke up late with a spliting headache, :bat: and had to haul ass to meet my brother to go to the game. Pulled over by a Trooper on 81, received speeding ticket. Trooper was nice, ONLY wrote me for 80 mph in a 55... was doing 90-95. Not a good day, but didn't lose my license:) Oh ...and to this day, just the smell of Gin turns my stomach:confused:... a sort of Pavlovian response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom