“Colgate is a better team than about anyone we will play against a zone” | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

“Colgate is a better team than about anyone we will play against a zone”

I’m serious I’ve never seen some of that defensive alignment ever in my time watching basketball. It simultaneously looked like colgate had 6 players, but also seemed like half the players were not on the court with how much court was visible, usually around the foul line where a guy was just routinely pivoting with the ball.
it was weird...all the center had to do was pivot and twist a couple times and all the orange defenders lost their minds and started running around like 3 blind mice. there were always 2 colgate players wide open...hard to fathom.

“Colgate is a better team than about anyone we will play against a zone”​

I sure hope he's right...but for me they didnt do anything special other than move the ball quickly to wide open teammates ...17/43 WIDE OPEN threes is pretty standard, imo...there are teams with a lot more talent than Colgate...and a lot of those teams can do exactly what Colgate did out there tonight, or even better.

Not to be funny but maybe a little of ajax's long hands could of helped tonight if he learns to keep them up. Jim usually favors Jrs when things are going bad.

And if any other ACC coach tried saying a Patriot League team was a bad matchup I’d be roasting them.

Our coach said it and now I have to pretend it’s not the dumbest coaching comment I’ve heard since Shafer invoked ISIS.

Imagine Jamie Dixon saying this back in the day while coaching Pitt, or everyone's most hated court-stander, Buzz Williams.

Unfortunately I agree. We really need Williams to make a huge jump and quick. The lack of any other forward depth on this team is criminal.
Benny’s shot looks so broken (not Symir broken), maybe we can get him to make the leap on the defensive end but on offense there may be a big problem. Disappointing to say the least.

All that said, not sure Jimmy is much worse than Swider if he is.

JB plays zone exclusively for a few reasons:

1. More practice time can be devoted to his voluminous offensive playbook
2. Players have more time to beast in the weight room
3. It’s hard to get excited with Xs and Os at the old chalkboard when you’ve been coaching for 50 years and there’s a golf simulator at home calling your name
Just savage...

Ajax is a nice story but he wouldn't start at Utica College. He should have moved on last year and SU used his scholarship for a guard or forward
I know, I thought he could give them more than a wide open air balled 3 at this point in his career that everyone jokes about. Dont think UK, Duke, etc would manage it the same way. Cant use those scholarships in 21 because that 22 class was going to be the dream team.

I just got around to listening to the presser and it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting.
Presser was fine. I expected worse after this game.

I think he needs a mod to delete what he says. The things he says are so predictable, and quite honestly, nauseating at this point. So sick and tired of the excuses. It's Colgate for God sake.
And... Colgate scored 100 points - that's not bad. The game before playing us they scored 95. Maybe they've got something there, I know, they can shoot the ball really well.
You can't win if you don't rebound and play Defense. And, we didn''t.
I sound just like JB. The point is, it's true.
Did you think they were just another cupcake were going to roll over? Not many cupcakes on our schedule and here comes Atlantis.

And... Colgate scored 100 points - that's not bad. The game before playing us they scored 95. Maybe they've got something there, I know, they can shoot the ball really well.
You can't win if you don't rebound and play Defense. And, we didn''t.
I sound just like JB. The point is, it's true.
Did you think they were just another cupcake were going to roll over? Not many cupcakes on our schedule and here comes Atlantis.

Yes, they're a Patriot League team that recently lost to Cornell and we were double digit favorites. I 100% expected a win. And if you don't expect to beat Colgate, don't expect to beat many other teams on the schedule. You HAVE to beat Colgate.

Benny’s shot looks so broken (not Symir broken), maybe we can get him to make the leap on the defensive end but on offense there may be a big problem. Disappointing to say the least.

All that said, not sure Jimmy is much worse than Swider if he is.
Here is the Benny Scouting report from Jerry Merry. Reliable 3 point shooter?? Where did it go?

Has positive length for a combo forward. Is thin, however, and needs to build up mass and strength. A high leaper with athleticism. Can struggle to utilize athleticism against contact and while in traffic. Has a great shooters touch. Finishes well on the move going to the basket. Is a reliable three-point shooter. Has potential to really extend his range. Not necessarily a nifty ball handler, but Williams is a reliable handler and can see the floor and distribute while on the move. Is a straight line driver who likes to utilize a crossover early in the drive. Has potential has a versatile defender and overall rebounder. Developing physical strength and toughness is vital.

Not a chance he would have helped at all.
he had 4 rebounds in 7 minutes last time he played...if rebounding is necessary wouldnt be so sure he couldnt help there.

the problem at this point is the players who can help with d and rebounds hurt the offense a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom