“Kornet Contest” should be implemented in the zone | Syracusefan.com

“Kornet Contest” should be implemented in the zone

I am watching the Celtics/Nets game and just saw Kornet do this.

Dayron Sharpe had the ball slightly to the left of the top of the key behind the arc. Kornet was standing between the restricted area circle and the FT line dots and jumped to contest the shot.

I have always thought the Cuse version of this is standing 5-10 feet away from the shooter with one hand up to give the appearance of challenging the shot. Devendorf was a master of this.

I wonder how much longer this lasts before it gets outlawed as illegal defense. Hard to believe it hasn’t been tried sooner.

Simply put, this will be everywhere soon. Let's be first.
I don’t know. I saw them in person, a week ago Friday and we had pretty good seats (lic humblebrag). Kornet is a legit 7’ with decent athleticism. He’s got pretty good timing on these as well. There are a few guys who will be able to match it, but not too many. And shooters will eventually adjust.

But it sure is fun to watch. And the dude is kind of hilarious

That’s pretty interesting. The concept is to simply disrupt vision.
Yeah, I think that’s how some commentator described it—blocking vision of the rim? I’d like to see a breakdown of that geometry in animation, though.

I used to do the Battier hand in face thing all the time. Even when just guarding against a pass. Disrupting vision plus distracting them mixed in with annoying them with constant hands in their face.

Unfortunately it forced them to drive more frequently and that was bad for me and my sub Joe level lateral quickness.

I used to do the Battier hand in face thing all the time. Even when just guarding against a pass. Disrupting vision plus distracting them mixed in with annoying them with constant hands in their face.

Unfortunately it forced them to drive more frequently and that was bad for me and my sub Joe level lateral quickness.
I’ve seen guys walk off the court in pickup games because of an aggressive hand in the face. No one needs to lose an eye because they can shoot the three. Not saying you were that aggressive.

That’s pretty interesting. The concept is to simply disrupt vision.
I think it is more than just disrupting vision. It is a disruption to a specific zone of focus that causes the shooter to lose focus on the actual target.

I think of vision, in a sports context, as having three zones of focus. Long distance, short distance, and peripheral.

When a good shooter is shooting, he focuses on a very specific point on the rim. The long distance shooter is in his long distance vision zone. His brain filters out distractions in the short distance and peripheral zones. So a close out from the side or even a hand in the face is not effective on a focused shooter. The shooter filters out those distractions. They barely exist in his brain and therefore cause minimal disruption in the hand /eye coordination.

Kornet is causing a distraction in the vision zone that the shooter is relying on. Because of his distance from the shooter, he is in the long distance vision zone. It is hard for the eyes or brain not to see it. So now rather than focusing solely on a specific spot on the rim, the shooter's eyes bounce from the rim to the hands and probably back to the rim. This is enough of a distraction to throw off the shooting hand just a little. A little variation is all you need to miss a 25' shot.

I play in a weekly casual pick up game. I'm going to experiment with this. I think I have to be in line , directly between the shooter and the rim and probably 6-12 feet away to be in the distance vision zone. I'll let you guys know the results.

I’ve seen guys walk off the court in pickup games because of an aggressive hand in the face. No one needs to lose an eye because they can shoot the three. Not saying you were that aggressive.
Oh I didn't get that close. I had to give some space to make up for my lack of quickness. Just keeping a hand in their line of sight. Think of having jazz hands 12 inches from for face for an hour. If nothing else it added levity. Lol

I think it is more than just disrupting vision. It is a disruption to a specific zone of focus that causes the shooter to lose focus on the actual target.

I think of vision, in a sports context, as having three zones of focus. Long distance, short distance, and peripheral.

When a good shooter is shooting, he focuses on a very specific point on the rim. The long distance shooter is in his long distance vision zone. His brain filters out distractions in the short distance and peripheral zones. So a close out from the side or even a hand in the face is not effective on a focused shooter. The shooter filters out those distractions. They barely exist in his brain and therefore cause minimal disruption in the hand /eye coordination.

Kornet is causing a distraction in the vision zone that the shooter is relying on. Because of his distance from the shooter, he is in the long distance vision zone. It is hard for the eyes or brain not to see it. So now rather than focusing solely on a specific spot on the rim, the shooter's eyes bounce from the rim to the hands and probably back to the rim. This is enough of a distraction to throw off the shooting hand just a little. A little variation is all you need to miss a 25' shot.

I play in a weekly casual pick up game. I'm going to experiment with this. I think I have to be in line , directly between the shooter and the rim and probably 6-12 feet away to be in the distance vision zone. I'll let you guys know the results.
I wish I could jump high enough, but I’ve got Joe hops. The only way this would work for me is if the shooters aim point was the bottom of the net. I just try doing different things in their vision randomly.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom