#1 Indiana lost last night | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

#1 Indiana lost last night

This was so good I had to reply again. First this is as a flawed a team as I can remember. He's 22-6 with it. His concept of 'shooting well' is spot on. When teams shoot well they win. Syracuse is usually a high scoring team = except this year because our offense stinks and our guys can't shoot.

Since the Nova loss (a 4-5 stretch) the team has averaged 67 ppg. In those 4 wins it averaged 75 ppg.

In the team's 6 losses this year we've scored just 63 ppg. The problem is scoring. More a personnel issue than a coaching issue. Kids can't shoot and only one kid can reliably score.

Are you a distant cousin of Coach B? You sound ridiculous with these attempts to defend him. To each his own I guess... Say hi to Jimmy for me at the next family cookout.

PS - the key to sports, which Im guessing you never played, is to adjust if you have a weakness. Jim has not had to do that for years because we have had ridiculous talent (granted, thanks to his solid recruiting). Everyone knows we cant shoot, yet he has not tweaked the offense. Its chuck and pray. I guess u are fine with that.

I guess this means Duke will probably slide back into the #1 spot despite a really weak conference schedule. Only two games in the last 6 weeks against a top-25 RPI team (both at home). The other seven were against teams no less than a 61 RPI.

It's not a great metric, but sheesh. Syracuse's last 12 opponents average a 46 RPI. Duke's last 12 average an 83 RPI. Maybe that ACC will move will be nice...

This was so good I had to reply again. First this is as a flawed a team as I can remember. He's 22-6 with it. His concept of 'shooting well' is spot on. When teams shoot well they win. Syracuse is usually a high scoring team = except this year because our offense stinks and our guys can't shoot.

Since the Nova loss (a 4-5 stretch) the team has averaged 67 ppg. In those 4 wins it averaged 75 ppg.

In the team's 6 losses this year we've scored just 63 ppg. The problem is scoring. More a personnel issue than a coaching issue. Kids can't shoot and only one kid can reliably score.

With this argument, I don't think ppg is as good a metric as FG% since ppg wouldn't factor in the tempo of the game. And let's face it, we always allow the other team to control tempo. We could have lost games that scored in the 80s, but won games with scores in the 50s. I just did a quick lookup, and in BE games so far this season, we're averaging 45.6% shooting in our wins, but only 37.4% in our losses.

With this argument, I don't think ppg is as good a metric as FG% since ppg wouldn't factor in the tempo of the game. And let's face it, we always allow the other team to control tempo. We could have lost games that scored in the 80s, but won games with scores in the 50s. I just did a quick lookup, and in BE games so far this season, we're averaging 45.6% shooting in our wins, but only 37.4% in our losses.

When you say "we always allow the other team to control tempo" do you mean this year or every year?

I guess this means Duke will probably slide back into the #1 spot despite a really weak conference schedule. Only two games in the last 6 weeks against a top-25 RPI team (both at home). The other seven were against teams no less than a 61 RPI.

It's not a great metric, but sheesh. Syracuse's last 12 opponents average a 46 RPI. Duke's last 12 average an 83 RPI. Maybe that ACC will move will be nice...

I think it will be a toss-up between Indiana. Duke, Gonzaga -- all will get 10+ #1 votes. Enough of the season has been played that a team with more losses can be number one if they play in the best conference.

Are you a distant cousin of Coach B? You sound ridiculous with these attempts to defend him. To each his own I guess... Say hi to Jimmy for me at the next family cookout.

PS - the key to sports, which Im guessing you never played, is to adjust if you have a weakness. Jim has not had to do that for years because we have had ridiculous talent (granted, thanks to his solid recruiting). Everyone knows we cant shoot, yet he has not tweaked the offense. Its chuck and pray. I guess u are fine with that.

tweaked the offense - lol - how so?

How can we tweak the office when we have no low post scorers - Rak and Keita are soft and Coleman has been hurt but showed no propensity for scoring down low beforehand (stripped of the ball or blocked repeatedly)

MCW can't beat quick defenders off the bounce - and defenders give him the jumper so the pick and roll is limited

We need JSouth and BT to hit jumpers to create space for MCW and Fair to drive the lane - when the jumpers aren't falling and teams pack it in the lane - we struggle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom