1 rule you liked to see changed | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

1 rule you liked to see changed

One thing I'd like to see enforced MORE is a crack down against coaches coming out onto the court or way outside of the coaching box during game play.

Drives me nuts.
This really is a point of emphasis for refs this year. I was working a D3 game last night and the refs actually gave the coach a bench warning because he was a few feet outside the box. That might have been the first time I've ever seen that.

I also agree with folks about the shot clock. Why is the women's clock 30 and the men's is 35? It should either be universal across the board at 24, or universal at the college ranks at 30.

I find the "players must stay in college for X amount of years" to be kind of disturbing. What is this - the USSR? You should have a right to stay in college for as long as you want or to go make a living in your desired profession whenever you want (like dancers or musicians or baseball and hockey players do).

What if a player just can't cut it academically in college but has the physical ability to play in the NBA?
Could not agree more. For some reason people think it's okay for a musician, or even a tennis player to be a professional at 13, but a basketball player can't do the same thing at 18. The hypocrisy is nauseating.

But they can play professionally if they choose. They just can't do it in the NBA.

This really is a point of emphasis for refs this year. I was working a D3 game last night and the refs actually gave the coach a bench warning because he was a few feet outside the box. That might have been the first time I've ever seen that.

I also agree with folks about the shot clock. Why is the women's clock 30 and the men's is 35? It should either be universal across the board at 24, or universal at the college ranks at 30.

There's nothing I dislike more than watching a game, thinking a team has nothing going on offense, and looking up at the shot clock and seeing they still have 10-15 seconds to get a shot off.

I think the shot clock being at 24 would probably help our defense as well, but that's not why I'm saying it.

There's nothing I dislike more than watching a game, thinking a team has nothing going on offense, and looking up at the shot clock and seeing they still have 10-15 seconds to get a shot off.

I think the shot clock being at 24 would probably help our defense as well, but that's not why I'm saying it.

Good points. A 24 second clock would certainly speed up the game and reward tenacious defensive play. But it would also tend to favor more talented teams and make the game more NBA-like, which might not be so desirable.

How about a rule that the ref's waist can't be larger than their chest.

10565663-standard.jpg

No timeouts on inbounds plays following a stoppage.

Or, you can't pass the ball into the backcourt on an offensive half baseline inbound.

the problem isnt letting kids play at 18.. the problem is paying the new people more than the established stars.. what other business does that? the union complains but they want to start higher so it goes up faster. they should be making it lower. then let everyone plays who wants to but teams dont take a bath on players who tank it and the kids would need to work if they wanted to make the big money.

the problem isnt letting kids play at 18.. the problem is paying the new people more than the established stars.. what other business does that? the union complains but they want to start higher so it goes up faster. they should be making it lower. then let everyone plays who wants to but teams dont take a bath on players who tank it and the kids would need to work if they wanted to make the big money.

They have a rookie scale in place. The #1 pick is the only guy who makes more than $4 million as a rookie. That's a lot, but it's not what the stars make.

Be able to call a timeout just as the opposing player is about to shoot a foul shot near end of the game, just like they do for field goal kickers. OK, maybe not.

24 second shot clock, easily. It would kill off the Bo Ryan's of the world.

Good points. A 24 second clock would certainly speed up the game and reward tenacious defensive play. But it would also tend to favor more talented teams and make the game more NBA-like, which might not be so desirable.

Yep...Vermont game never happens with a 24 second shot clock.

I never liked when a coach has his team take bench chairs and move them on the court during a time out.
Are they afraid someone in seats behind them are stealing signs? Chairs scratch a court and the players sweating on the court seems dangerous. Just seems dumb to me. Did John Thompson start that fad?

Next time that Buzz and Marquette come to the Dome (fortunately, they aren't coming again) I'd like to see them tether all of the chairs on the bench together so that one can't be moved without moving all of them. If they can pick them all up at once and get them on the court then have it.

Be able to call a timeout just as the opposing player is about to shoot a foul shot near end of the game, just like they do for field goal kickers. OK, maybe not.
Only to see the player miss the free throw, but of course he's given another chance because of a horrible timeout called by the opposing coach.

1) No huddling on the FT line when FT's are awarded.
2) Go to the FIFA rules on inbounds plays off turnovers- official does not need to handle it. Faster game
Go to FIFA non-goaltend/interference calls after the ball has hit the rim.
Go to FIFA larger lane, and enforce 3 seconds.

I'd get rid of the rule where Pitt players are allowed to maul their opponents. Not sure where it's written in the rule book, but it must be in there somewhere.

1) No huddling on the FT line when FT's are awarded.
2) Go to the FIFA rules on inbounds plays off turnovers- official does not need to handle it. Faster game
Go to FIFA non-goaltend/interference calls after the ball has hit the rim.
Go to FIFA larger lane, and enforce 3 seconds.

FIBA. Though a few FIFA rules would be interesting. No use of the hands, only 3 subs per game, no breaks in action, etc...

and maybe TV timeouts changed to 15:00/10:00/5:00. There's too much stoppage in a game that is so dependent on momentum.

Through the '93-'94 season (I think), the only official timeout came at the first dead ball under 12:00 in each half. Much better for flow.

I think it should you should have to stay 3 years, with an option to go out of high school. The Kobes and Lebrons who dont have any want or need to go to college still could, everyone else, 3 years.

Good one. I like this a lot, though if you're going to make them stay three, why not just bring it up to four?

Good one. I like this a lot, though if you're going to make them stay three, why not just bring it up to four?

I just figured I'd go the same as college football

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom