1 rule you liked to see changed | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

1 rule you liked to see changed

timeouts should not be allowed in the backcourt. get it in and get it over then you can call a TO.. reward the D for solid play.

Hey, that's a good one. Great idea.

I find the "players must stay in college for X amount of years" to be kind of disturbing. What is this - the USSR? You should have a right to stay in college for as long as you want or to go make a living in your desired profession whenever you want (like dancers or musicians or baseball and hockey players do).

What if a player just can't cut it academically in college but has the physical ability to play in the NBA?

How about, say, judicial clerkships? Should someone sign on for a two-year term with a judge, find that a private firm wants to hire him after six months, and be allowed to chase the bucks and leave his employer high and dry?

I don't think there's anything wrong with requiring someone to put in a certain amount of time after making a commitment. I am uncomfortable with the idea that a school may revoke a student-athlete's scholarship for any or no reason. That existing policy certainly does not coexist fairly with any requirements that an already-enrolled student spend a certain amount of time in college.

How about, say, judicial clerkships? Should someone sign on for a two-year term with a judge, find that a private firm wants to hire him after six months, and be allowed to chase the bucks and leave his employer high and dry?

I'm not really sure how judicial clerkships work. If it's a contractual position, then obviously they should stay and honor the contract. If it's an "at-will" position, then they can and should leave whenever they want.

I don't think there's anything wrong with requiring someone to put in a certain amount of time after making a commitment. I am uncomfortable with the idea that a school may revoke a student-athlete's scholarship for any or no reason. That existing policy certainly does not coexist fairly with any requirements that an already-enrolled student spend a certain amount of time in college.
They can't revoke a scholarship for no valid reason. The scholarships are for one year.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I hate that a TO resets the 10 second count.

I'm not sure I follow. You aren't really making a commitment last the first year, since as you mention, they ran revoke the schollie from you at the end of the year.

I guess the bigger problem is tha we're talking about an NBA rule here, not a college rule. Who is going to enforce this? When you accept a scholarship to play basketball at a school I don't see how you are necessarily making a 4 year commitment. (I'm assuming there is nothing on the letter of intent or anything to that).

I also can't imagine coaches would be cool with that, since they like running guys off teams when they need to.

(But I feel like I may not be totally following your argument, so I don't want to mis interpret it)

My view on the schollie issue, and maybe it's easy to say from a distance, is that as long as the kid is making an effort to get his work done and is in good academic standing, then he shouldn't be able to lose his scholarship, even if he might not be a good player.

They can't revoke a scholarship for no valid reason. The scholarships are for one year.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, that's what I meant. The school can opt not to offer a scholarship for subsequent years.

Re: EAO's post, I think there should be a mutual commitment between the two parties - absent some egregious DeShaun behavior, the school should be offering the kid an scholarship that's good until his athletic eligibility is exhausted; in return, the student should agree to stay for a set amount of time.

For the uber-talented or not academically inclined who don't like this arrangement, let them enter the draft. And then let the undrafted folks come back to school without penalty.

The current system isn't serving anyone well, except maybe the Calipari family.

Yeah I hate that a TO resets the 10 second count.

I'm not sure I follow. You aren't really making a commitment last the first year, since as you mention, they ran revoke the schollie from you at the end of the year.

I guess the bigger problem is tha we're talking about an NBA rule here, not a college rule. Who is going to enforce this? When you accept a scholarship to play basketball at a school I don't see how you are necessarily making a 4 year commitment. (I'm assuming there is nothing on the letter of intent or anything to that).

I also can't imagine coaches would be cool with that, since they like running guys off teams when they need to.

(But I feel like I may not be totally following your argument, so I don't want to mis interpret it)

The commitment between both parties is a little weak; I'm not wild about the schools offering scholarships to kids while reserving the right not to re-offer the scholarship in future seasons. If the kid is willing to sign a letter of intent to accept the scholarship and intend your school, the school should be promising him that he'll be welcome (and his tuition will be paid) for the full four years, provided the student doesn't do something terrible.

Can't imagine the coaches would like that, either. We can do better by the student-athletes, though (and I'm not talking about paying them money). There should be a way to enrich the great majority of kids who will never play in the NBA and accommodate those who don't want to attend college; the regulations that make this happen should be driven by the governing body of college athletics, not the NBA (whose one-and-done rule is designed to look out for the financial well-being of its owners, not the well-being of the kids).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom