10 programs on the rise/10 on the decline | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

10 programs on the rise/10 on the decline

Yeah - thinking that programs like UK, Duke, KU, Cuse, etc. will not rebound from an off year, is kinda stupid and short sighted.

Also - why isn't Sparty in that "decline" list too then?

Indiana and Georgetown have been not great for numerous years now.

UK/Duke/KU ... are having down years. We have been mediocre since '14

Might not be a good buy. I'd assume in 5 years that AT LEAST 7 of the 10 on the decline list will undergo a coaching change.
So? Those schools have had coaching changes before and done just fine. I imagine some of the schools on the rise list will have coaching changes as well,

So? Those schools have had coaching changes before and done just fine. I imagine some of the schools on the rise list will have coaching changes as well,
Well Arizona, Kansas and LSU may not be making those changes by choice and apparently sanctions now make a program mediocre for an infinite number of years or so I've been told.

Well Arizona, Kansas and LSU may not be making those changes by choice and apparently sanctions now make a program mediocre for an infinite number of years or so I've been told.
That information would be included in the stock price right now. It isn't like it is a secret to the public. I'll stand with my investment.

Don't sleep on ,Grand Canyon. Those fans blow ours away. Great atmosphere.
stop! I live here too and you can't be serious. They screwed up by firing Dan

I think the one and done model is starting to hurt some of those schools a bit. There’s a lack of veteran continuity.
No question about it, especially when you see how one-and-done players like Jalen Johnson or Terrence Clarke can leave programs like Duke and Kentucky in the middle of the season, so as to not hurt their future draft prospects.

And then when you factor in the explosion in transfers in recent years, and the increase in waivers granting immediate eligibility at the new school... College Basketball is completely different from what a lot of us grew up with in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

There's often so much talk on this board about how Syracuse is down and how JB has lost a step for a variety of reasons... but this year in particular shows how very hard it is for any school to stay relevant year after year, as JB has done. Just about all of the 'blue bloods' have struggled in recent years, and that's something that I think a lot of us overlook because we're so hyper-focused on what's going on within the Syracuse program.

I subscribe to the Atlantic but find many of their articles to be h0t takes and click bait, just like this one. How can Iona be "on the rise" when they are only 5-3, with 4 of their wins over horrible teams (5-12 Rider twice, 6-11 Fairfield and 9-12 Coppin State)?

Grand Canyon?
1614964106524.png

BUY THE STONK DIP!!
Zoinks.
I subscribe to the Atlantic but find many of their articles to be h0t takes and click bait, just like this one. How can Iona be "on the rise" when they are only 5-3, with 4 of their wins over horrible teams (5-12 Rider twice, 6-11 Fairfield and 9-12 Coppin State)?
Iona is a historically strong MAAC team and hired a Rick Pitino to be a hired gun.

Agreed - buying a blue chip on a dip, is a much wiser strategy than throwing $ at a speculative STONK, hoping that maybe it eventually becomes a blue chip years down the road.

Many of those top 10 "on the rise" programs are like Pets.com.
It sounds like it should do well, right?
Put 100 bucks on the rising ones and 1000 on the declines

If they were a mutual fund, I would buy the programs on the decline fund before I would buy the programs on the rise fund. let's see what programs do what over the next 5 years.
might thoughts were the same. Staying on top for 20-30 yrs like those programs is probably something none of those on the rise is gonna manage.. Lucky if its more than 1 solid class for most of them.

They have been bad during the two Covid seasons, but they were a 1/2/1/1 seed in the past four tournaments. I just don't see them not bouncing back very soon. But believe me I would love to be wrong.
I agree with this. I think it's a mistake to base too much on the COVID-plagued 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons, anyway.

on the rise:

Alabama
Arkansas
FSU
Grand Canyon
Illinois
Iona
Michigan
OK State
Texas Tech
UConn (Gulp)

On the decline

Arizona
Duke
Georgetown
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
LSU
New Mexico
Notre Dame
Syracuse

The list is flat dumb. Sure you can argue several of the on the rise teams are truly that. But you are telling me that one bad season at UK, Duke means they are on the decline? Kansas is still a beast. Georgetown and Indiana have been irrelevant, for the most part, for 20 years. New Mexico - irrelevant. Cuse - yeah we are at this point, hard to argue that. Point is, the 'one the decline' list is terrible. One season does not a program make...

It's not surprising that the programs in supposed decline tend to have older coaches or coaches who should have been fired for scandal (Arizona & LSU) or who were fired for scandal (Pitino).
In other words, unstable long term coaching situations.

But the Orange have been nothing special for 7 seasons now.
And don't seem to have adjusted well to the realities of the new one (or none)-and-done era.
That's decline.
Sad to say.

The list is flat dumb. Sure you can argue several of the on the rise teams are truly that. But you are telling me that one bad season at UK, Duke means they are on the decline? Kansas is still a beast. Georgetown and Indiana have been irrelevant, for the most part, for 20 years. New Mexico - irrelevant. Cuse - yeah we are at this point, hard to argue that. Point is, the 'one the decline' list is terrible. One season does not a program make...

Apparently a bunch of people didn’t read the article. He gave some valid reasons.

It's not surprising that the programs in supposed decline tend to have older coaches or coaches who should have been fired for scandal (Arizona & LSU) or who were fired for scandal (Pitino).
In other words, unstable long term coaching situations.

But the Orange have been nothing special for 7 seasons now.
And don't seem to have adjusted well to the realities of the new one (or none)-and-done era.
That's decline.
Sad to say.
Cuse has been to two final fours in the last 7 seasons when there has been a tournament (excluding 2019-20). Throw in an elite eight and sweet sixteen too, going back to 2011-12. Most teams would say that's pretty special.

Hard to argue with the “on the decline” list. But Iona? Is that based on Pitino being there now? They played a grand total of what, 5 games this year? Tough to say they’re “on the rise” right now.
If they're at an Italian restaurant something would definitely be "on the rise"... in Rick's pants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom