11 & 22 | Syracusefan.com

11 & 22

Won't Staats want 45?
Austin wears #43 in the field game to honor Marshall Abrams, same as Cody Jamieson at OCC & his Jr. year at SU. Randy wore #45 to honor Jamieson Kuhlmann, his teammate at Hill Academy who died after suffering a hit in a box game. Many Canadiens, including Brendan Bomberry & UNC's Cloutier, wear #45 for this reason.

Why Do So Many Canadian NCAA Players Wear No. 45?

If Staats wants to become the 2nd Native, after Jammer, to wear #22, you ABSOLUTELY give it to him. Let him wear it for 2 years & allow Cook/Magnan to earn it. This would be a great way to move the tradition away from incoming Frosh.

Last edited:
If Solomon steps up & takes a leadership role, both on & off the field, I could also see him wearing it as a Senior before giving to it Staats for his senior year. That may be a better way, IF Nate proves deserving.

I know there's differing opinions on this throughout the board but, just like #44 in football, I think people need to stop viewing a player being given the number as comparing them or putting them on the same level as Brown, Davis, & Little or the Gaits & Powells. Those players are on a separate level that will likely never be matched again in this modern era but that doesn't mean you scrap the tradition. Evans wearing #22 doesn't diminish anything previous #22s have done. Keeping the #s active ensures that the tradition lives on, that it's mentioned on every broadcast & kids grow up with a knowledge/understanding of it.

Most of this is more directed at #44 in football so I apologize for the rant but I've just always felt that retiring #44 was a horrible decision & simply a move by Gross to drum up publicity for the movie & that 1 game. I'd hate to see the same happen with #22. Don't hand them out to incoming recruits or if there's not a deserving player that year but don't shelf them, allow players to earn them. Traditions are such a huge part of college sports & we must preserve the few cool ones we have.

Think they should hand it out only to a deserving senior and it doesn't matter if that player is a star or supporting actor but rather just a positive in their context. That way it represents something just as important but perhaps even greater without the needless additional pressure over years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom