#11 and #22, Hang em up or hand them out | Syracusefan.com

#11 and #22, Hang em up or hand them out

Nobody on the 2018 roster had enough success at the college level to merit wearing #22. I think they should put it on the shelf until someone earns it while playing at SU.

#11 has a lot of candidates. If the team feels like there is a leader on the defense, I would be fine with them wearing it.

I like when there is a 22 on offense. I don't consider 11 a defenders number. 4 of the 6 best offensive players in the history of the program wore 22. 1 of the ten best defenders in the history of the program wore 11. Hell, the best player to wear 11 was an attackman.

I am totally becoming a grumpy old man. Get off my lawn.

Nobody on the 2018 roster had enough success at the college level to merit wearing #22. I think they should put it on the shelf until someone earns it while playing at SU.

#11 has a lot of candidates. If the team feels like there is a leader on the defense, I would be fine with them wearing it.

Magnan or Cook

Magnan and Cook will be on the spring 2019 roster, not next year's spring 2018 roster. I should've been more clear. All I was saying is that I don't think anyone has done enough to earn #22 for next season.

don't think i watched or listened to a single game where jordan evans and the anchor of expectations of the number wasn't brought up. do we have a dominant scorer who can physically take over games on next years roster ? if not best not to hand it out. too much pressure.

It seems clear 22 won't go to a freshman any time soon. Rehfuss is the obvious choice if Solomon does not want to switch numbers. Bomberry can't get his own shot, so he's out. The only midfielder that could wear it would be Trimboli. I wish they would hang it up for one year. Make someone earn it this year. Maybe at the halfway point of the year if someone earns it, break it out. 11 has to go to Mellen. This kid covered other teams #1 attackman as a freshman! That never happens at cuse. He's gonna be a stud.

The numbers should definitely be handed out. The question is how to use them.

If you want to use it as a reward then I would say give them to the top returning seniors each season. Maybe some kids would even come to the Cuse simply for opportunity to compete to wear one of those numbers in the due course of time.

If you want to use it to more immediately help the team, then you use it as a recruiting tool. Some are against this because Evans did not work out relative to expectations (which are only increased if a kid wears # 22 or # 11). I think just because staff made a "mistake" on one kid it doesn't mean that they won't get it right more often then not in the future. The problem; however, is that the time they get it wrong would mean tying up the numbers for four years.

And then again, it does not have to be an either or situation. If the staff wants a recruit badly enough & handing out 22 gets the commitment - why not ? At other times use the senior rule.

The one thing I do not like is the idea of giving it to returning underclassman. Then you are tying up the number for multiple seasons while not being able to use it as any kind of a tool to improve the team.

They need to stop giving them out to players who have yet to touch the Dome turf. As Jordan Evans proved all too well, high school success (even alot of it) does not necessarily translate to the college game. If a kid comes in (whether highly recruited or not) and puts up stellar numbers his first year or two, then throw the grail at him, but not before.

I think Mellen gets #11 next year assuming he's good to go. I think Cook gets #22

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom