18 former NBA players charged | Syracusefan.com

18 former NBA players charged

08DE977D-B43A-4189-A346-7EE4D364C4B1.png

Average of $222,222 per player so not exactly pocket change. Let's see what carrot the Feds will dangle in front of them. Should be interesting.

Here is a good breakdown. News conference scheduled for this afternoon.

Some real Einsteins on that list. Maximum sentencing on 1 count of wire fraud is 20 years. I'd have to think everyone on that list is at least facing 5 years plus realistically if convicted. Dumb with a capital D.

Telfair and Wroten. Both guys I recall Syracuse being involved with but backing away as things got squirrelly. JB seems to have a sense for that type of stuff.
Think that's the point of sanctions. Works on most, unless your name rhymes with malipari.

The NBA got suspicious when Glen Big Baby Davis submitted claims for being colicky.
Don't minimize their stupidity. Greg Smith, one of the 18, filed a $50,000 dental claim and he got caught because he was playing overseas on the day the dental work supposedly got done. I guess he forget that box scores are published on the world wide web.

Don't minimize their stupidity. Greg Smith, one of the 18, filed a $50,000 dental claim and he got caught because he was playing overseas on the day the dental work supposedly got done. I guess he forget that box scores are published on the world wide web.
Here is more stupidity. Don't confuse these guys with Bill Bradley and Tom McMillian.

All marginal careers. A couple Pitino prodigies in there, right?
Maybe marginal but some still made enough made not to have to resort to this. Telfair has career earnings of $20 million, Glen Davis $34 million and Tony Allen $40 million and those are were just the 3 I checked because I know they did decent.

18 former NBA players charged in $4 million health care fraud scheme

None of our guys although as I recall we recruited Telfair.
The scheme was uncovered, in part, because of the sloppy work of the defendants, authorities said.

For example, Smith, who played for the Houston Rockets, submitted claims for IV sedation, a root canal and crowns that he is alleged to have received during a Dec. 20, 2018, dental procedure in Beverly Hills, California, prosecutors said.

"Travel records, e-mail and publicly available box scores showed that he was playing professional basketball in Taiwan that week and did not receive root canals in Beverly Hills as represented in the claim form he submitted," Strauss said.

At the time, Smith was in Taiwan's Super Basketball League, and he scored 11 points for Bank of Taiwan the next day in an 84-76 loss to Kaohsiung Jeoutai Technology.

And several players didn't bother comparing notes to see whether they were raising red flags by putting in for the exact same dental procedures on the same days, Strauss said.

For example, Davis, Allen and Wroten filed for root canals, all supposedly performed on the same six teeth on April 30, 2016, Strauss said. The trio also put in for payments for crowns done on the same six teeth on May 11, 2016, she said.

Wroten and Allen filed for root canals done on the same 13 teeth on Sept. 6, 2018, Strauss said.

Maybe marginal but some still made enough made not to have to resort to this. Telfair has career earnings of $20 million, Glen Davis $34 million and Tony Allen $40 million and those are were just the 3 I checked because I know they did decent.
I’m sure 90% of that money was gone before their career ended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom