1987 "retro"spective... | Syracusefan.com

1987 "retro"spective...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
Just found this on You Tube. A season review of the 1987 squad, done right after the season. It's an hour long, but I think you'll enjoy the highlights, and the "eighties"-ness of it all. A fun look back at our winningest team in the last half century. Frankly, the heavy use of the synthesizer makes it worth the watch.

I was at the Penn St and WVU games. They r burned in my memory

I'd love to experience the pure elation and noise of Moore's touchdown and the 2 pointer.

the closest i felt it was the beginning of the SU/Miami game in 1994 when Dan Conley intercepted Toretta. Place went completely bonkers. I couldn't hear myself talk. I was in the hill from 94-98 so i'm sure that's not the high water mark but for me it was.

I've still got the old VHS tape, along with the 100th anniversary tape that came out two years later.

I'd love to experience the pure elation and noise of Moore's touchdown and the 2 pointer.

For me, there was no greater Syracuse Football moment than the Don McPherson TD run at the beginning of the third quarter against Penn State - making the score 41-0.

At that moment all of my frustrations dating back to the Cal game in 1968 - a 43-0 drubbing in Berkley - and the 1969 4th quarter loss to Penn State at Archbold - 15-14 - were finally cured.

I'll never forget that incredible moment.

I got to meet Robert Drummond a few months ago and I related this story to him: I was stationed on an aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean that year. My best friend was a Penn State fan. I heard the score on the Armed Forces Radio Network and couldn't believe my ears. Of course I had to go wake my buddy up and I told him the final score was 48-21. He said "oh we kicked your ass again" at which I said "No Lets Go Orange" and laughed at him. Robert's response was "yeah, we kicked their butts". I thanked him for the great memory.
As a final note: my parents came down to Mayport FL to welcome the ship back. Immediately upon coming aboard ship, my dad produced a VHS tape and had my best friend and I watch the opening play...

Can we please wear retro jerseys for one game? Please.

Can we please wear retro jerseys for one game? Please.

AthyvhZCIAAxTlL.jpg

the closest i felt it was the beginning of the SU/Miami game in 1994 when Dan Conley intercepted Toretta. Place went completely bonkers. I couldn't hear myself talk. I was in the hill from 94-98 so i'm sure that's not the high water mark but for me it was.
Are you talking about '92 with the 3 yard line Gedney catch in the end? I don't think Toretta was at Miami in '94.

sufandu said:
Are you talking about '92 with the 3 yard line Gedney catch in the end? I don't think Toretta was at Miami in '94.

94 was jump ball Frank Costa. He was horrible.

Miami, down 6-0 at half just decided to run the ball down our throats in the 2nd half as our offense was stuck in a terrible late season slump.

That was Conley's 6th year. Can't recall if he had an INT, but I do recall the Dome rocking in the first half.

Pat Dye was the biggest wuss in the world. pathetic. I loved how Coach Mac hammered him for going for the FG. Dye was all bent out of shape about that. Too bad, wimp.
I was at that game, the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, and it was one of the best times I've ever had. My boyfriend had to work for Drumlins so I wandered around Bourbon St. and every bar I went into there was an SU contingent buying me drinks and high fiving. I think I was 22 or 23 at the time, first time to NO. Unforgettable. I know we'll get back there some day, I just know we will.

I was at that game, the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, and it was one of the best times I've ever had. My boyfriend had to work for Drumlins so I wandered around Bourbon St. and every bar I went into there was an SU contingent buying me drinks and high fiving. I think I was 22 or 23 at the time, first time to NO. Unforgettable. I know we'll get back there some day, I just know we will.

That is an awesome memory. We will absolutely get back there, hopefully soon

I made it to every home game in '87 even though I didn't become STH until the following year. WVU game was the best game I have ever seen. After the TD I turned to my 13 year old son to say something and I could not hear my own words. I thought the 2 point conversion was louder. We were in the 2nd level corner below 323 and all of that final drama happened right in front of us. You couldn't plan a better game or regular season ending. My son is now 42, a life long SU fan living in Hawaii. He is up very early to catch our noon games. Hopefully he won't have to do that much longer. I am just as excited for this season's potential as I was at the end of that game.

I made it to every home game in '87 even though I didn't become STH until the following year. WVU game was the best game I have ever seen. After the TD I turned to my 13 year old son to say something and I could not hear my own words. I thought the 2 point conversion was louder. We were in the 2nd level corner below 323 and all of that final drama happened right in front of us. You couldn't plan a better game or regular season ending. My son is now 42, a life long SU fan living in Hawaii. He is up very early to catch our noon games. Hopefully he won't have to do that much longer. I am just as excited for this season's potential as I was at the end of that game.

The two point conversion was louder because of Jim Ridlon who went crazy describing it.