1994 Nebraska OL | Syracusefan.com

1994 Nebraska OL

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
How come our OL don't look like this?

These dudes looked like this nearly thirty years ago - probably a steady diet of bacon, eggs, and flap jacks that allowed these big boys to pancake the DL.

Big dudes who are somehow lean and muscular, not just big.

What's the dietary and strength and conditioning program like for our OL?

Coaching and technique are a big part of the problem, but we have had OL coaches come and go who have been successful elsewhere

Screenshot_20231104-114923~2.png

These dudes looked like this nearly thirty years ago - probably a steady diet of bacon, eggs, and flap jacks that allowed these big boys to pancake the DL.

Coaching and technique are a big part of the problem, but we have had OL coaches come and go who have been successful elsewhere

View attachment 232958
Would take 7 of our guys to make up for that total amount of mass.

View attachment 232958

Dino does not appear to be a good evaluator of talent both on the field and on the sideline

Still got mine from 60 years ago. Same red jacket with a big white "D".
Can't play the game any more, but the memories are still there.

How many sucessful P5 head coaches go on to other P5 head coaching gigs and have success (trick question, we will never write a check for this coach)
Some of us, including Moontan, are hoping for a Mullen rejuvenation. ;)

View attachment 232958
Farm roids.

Players were lighter back then. They had 6 players on the roster 300 lbs to 315 lbs. And, they had 33 OL on the roster with all of the walk-ons, so they were developing players over 5 years to become OL. Syracuse has 13 players 300 lbs and up including one who is 375 lbs and one who is 360 lbs.

View attachment 232958
20 years of industrialization of agriculture

View attachment 232958
They could all be siblings.

Players were lighter back then. They had 6 players on the roster 300 lbs to 315 lbs. And, they had 33 OL on the roster with all of the walk-ons, so they were developing players over 5 years to become OL. Syracuse has 13 players 300 lbs and up including one who is 375 lbs and one who is 360 lbs.
I don't need my OL to be 360 pounds

315 pounds and nimble is better

And just think. They on;y played with those 5

So your saying SU is missing out by not offering an agricultural major - lots of farms in CNY
If Syracuse was a public state flagship we'd offer it. And stock a bunch of 2 and 3 kids as walk ons

But I think they were shorter, too. Not 6-6 or 6-8.

View attachment 232958
Related to this, I'm still fascinated how Nebraska went from basically being Alabama from 95-00 to total doodoo today.

I don't need my OL to be 360 pounds

315 pounds and nimble is better
Yes, 315 and agile is probably ideal. In that picture, I don't think any of them are that size. And, linemen are much bigger now on both sides of the ball. Nebraska's starting DTs in 1994 were 275 lbs and 285 lbs.

BC's starting OL on Friday? 308 lbs, 315 lbs, 292 lbs, 322 lbs, 313 lbs.

Nebraska lost their coach. He was amazing in all things involved in coaching. Osborne was creeping up in years

If Syracuse was a public state flagship we'd offer it. And stock a bunch of 2 and 3 kids as walk ons

I think the state portion of Cornell offers it; all the farmers I knew in NYS were Cornell grads. Getting an Ivy League degree on a NYS tuition is a hell of a deal.