2 others to make 16 | Syracusefan.com

2 others to make 16

Flacusian

All Conference
Since it is now a done deal w/ Cuse and Pitt moving to the ACC coupled with the fact that ideally the ACC would like to have a conference w/ 16 teams, who would you like to see as the 2 additional teams to be added? Connecticut and Rutgers have apparently been in the discussion. I for one would like to see UConn added but I'm indifferent to Rutgers. Keeping the in conference rivalry with UConn is certainly appealing in my opinion and takes some of the sting out of Syracuse's departure from the Big East. I now live in Florida and the only chance I get to see Syracuse play (without great expense) is when they play USF or they year they played Florida in Tampa. Now I'd need to travel further to see them play. So although I have a hard time imagining Syracuse anywhere but the Big East I guess I need to focus on the positives ( can't quite get my head wrapped around just what they are) and hope that perhaps UConn would be added to the ACC. Thoughts?

Since it is now a done deal w/ Cuse and Pitt moving to the ACC coupled with the fact that ideally the ACC would like to have a conference w/ 16 teams, who would you like to see as the 2 additional teams to be added? Connecticut and Rutgers have apparently been in the discussion. I for one would like to see UConn added but I'm indifferent to Rutgers. Keeping the in conference rivalry with UConn is certainly appealing in my opinion and takes some of the sting out of Syracuse's departure from the Big East. I now live in Florida and the only chance I get to see Syracuse play (without great expense) is when they play USF or they year they played Florida in Tampa. Now I'd need to travel further to see them play. So although I have a hard time imagining Syracuse anywhere but the Big East I guess I need to focus on the positives ( can't quite get my head wrapped around just what they are) and hope that perhaps UConn would be added to the ACC. Thoughts?

My preference would be UConn and ND. Don't laugh at the ND idea. If the national landscape changes to four 16-team mega=conferences, why would one want a school that says "everything except football." ND is much more like an ACC school (small, private, good academics) than it is like a Big 10 school (huge, public, land grant university) -- with singular exception of Northwestern which, I think, is the only BCS school never to have been to the NCAA basketball tournament. http://collegebasketball./content.asp?CID=880494

Forever Rutgers has been supposed to be a sleeping giant. But forever it has not been. I don't see the allure of Rutgers to the ACC as, say, a WVU, UConn, even Cincinnati or Louisville. All are better in football than Rutgers. If two more BE teams leave then the conference will be in deep trouble. ND would be a coup for some conference, esp. if they ever decided to go in with football.

William & Mary and UConn...the Virginia Governor requires 1 additional VA school with every ACC change

UConn and without a doubt, Notre Dame will strengthen the conference regardless of how much hatred people have against them. Otherwise UConn and someone else. This someone else just can't be Rutgers.

My preference would be UConn and ND. Don't laugh at the ND idea. If the national landscape changes to four 16-team mega=conferences, why would one want a school that says "everything except football." ND is much more like an ACC school (small, private, good academics) than it is like a Big 10 school (huge, public, land grant university) -- with singular exception of Northwestern which, I think, is the only BCS school never to have been to the NCAA basketball tournament. http://collegebasketball./content.asp?CID=880494
Just agreed with this in another thread. Let ND keep their NBC contract til it expires and let em play one less inter-divisional team for a period of time.

Bring Georgetown. I don't care about fb and I will miss this rivalry most of all. Pull an ND in reverse and bring a football only to fill the hole. ;)

I understand the UConn sentiment, but if we want to be honest, it's better for SU sports overall for UConn and Rutgers to be in lesser leagues, so we don''t have the same competition for recruits in the tri-state area. After Calhoun retires, UConn would slip back into a mediocre program without the ACC, if the Big East turns to junk. That's better for us, despite personal friendships and connections.

UConn will sell their soul to get in and will be admitted the next day. The ACC would have no reason to want Rutgers for any sport. I don't know who else they will go after. Kansas? Personally, I don't like the move to the ACC, but since it has happened, I would love to see Notre Dame and Rutgers left out in the cold.

UConn has to be one of them, they're arguably the best basketall program in the country. For the other I'd probably go with Notre Dame over Rutgers though Rutgers in the Big10+ would hurt a little.

Uconn would be the most likely and from all accounts they are pushing very hard for ACC admission. I've readon other boards though that Swofford is not a big fan of UConn atletic policies (and I don't blame him). ND is unlikely b/c they don't want to give lucrative independent football monies and would enter as a basketball-only school. Begins to smack of Big East and I think ACC wants to stay away from that and maintain both football and basketball ... and remember, it wasn't basketball that drove this realignment ... it was football. Ditto with Texas. Texas would enter as basketball only. Besides Okahoma and Texas have been having serious talks with the PAC-12. That's where they end up. Now how about Rutgers. What can they bring to the table? Actually the New Jersey and possibly New York City market. However, I am not sure how much of a following Rutgers actually has in either basketball or football outside of Rutgers ... I don't think enough to be attractive to the ACC. SU already brings that to a lesser degree. I think Rutgers looks to the Big 10. Who is left to raid in the Big East (assuming that ACC would still be looking only at the Big East). I think that Louisville would be a good fit ... athletically and geographically. Or, how about a raid into the SEC ... very unlikely.
And for those that feel WVU is a likely...probably not... at least academically. I have also read that they are applying for the SEC ... that would be a good fir for them.

YouCon and either L'Ville or WVU please
Although UConn has been a great rival, I would love to see them left behind. UConn and Rutgers are our main competition going forward for football recruiting, and I would love to see them have to remain in the geographically messed up Ridiculously Big East, or be outliers in the Big 10. You have to remember, this is a zero sum game, in some respects. Relegating UConn, in particular, to a Conference USA type of existence is best for SU in the long run, especially after Calhoun retires.

That only happens, though, if the ACC can convince Notre Dame and either Texas or Penn State to join. Penn State fans are probably 70-30 in their preference to play some of their old eastern rivals, and hate the travel involved in Big 10 games. I think the ACC would be able to take Notre Dame and Texas and allow them to keep their separate football deals, because the ACC would still be strong enough in football to keep their BCS status. They would negotiate some kind of scheduling arrangement like Notre Dame has with the Big East to give them access to the bowls (the ACC has like 8 tie ins), provided they play at tleast 3+ games against members each year. The same argument applies to Notre Dame, and ND already has many of those games on its upcoming schedules.

If Texas and the other 3 Big 1

From my perspective, I'd like to see the ACC first go after Notre Dame for all sports but football, but do the 3+ games scheduling arrangement like they have with the Big East, and I would offer the same to Texas, although their move to the Pac 10 seems to be close. As my next choice, I would make an overture to Penn State. People will say that Penn State would be taking a step back, prestige-wise and economically by moving to the ACC, but adding Penn State and Notre Dame, even part time, would make that ideal Eastern League that we old timers always dreamed of. And it would put the ACC in tremendous position to renegotiate their contract that is only a year old.

Only after those avenues are explored do I think about UConn. Nobody wants Rutgers. Leave them at the roadside to die, or get scooped up by the Big 10, as they have thought for so many years now. West Virginia will never get into the ACC because of their academic profile, but they would be great to add to Pitt, Va Tech, Virginia, Syracuse and BC as rivals.

Personally, I've never gotten over Calhoun's dirty recruiting against us in the pre-probation days, when it cost us Donyell Marshall, who really made their program, solidifying the miracle year they had with Chris Smith and Tate George, turning them into a perennial contender. Calhoun also cost us Jalen Rose, who fared pretty well in college, too, making 2 championship games. UConn, to me, built their program on the backs of our probation. I hope that the Pasqualoni hire submarines their football program, and any way you cut it, Calhoun has won his 3 championships, but last year's team shouldn't have been allowed to play for the championship because of their violations, and he cheated, as well, in paying $40K to the AAU coach of Rudy Gay and scheduled an exhibition game with their team, in order to get him. Calhoun and Boeheim have become personal friends because of their shared cancer experience, but I just don't like him.

As for the football side, tri-state recruiting is a zero sum game. I want to see UConn and Rutgers in a lesser league, so that we get the better recruits, just like we used to. It's that simple. From a selfish perspective, UConn gaining admittance to the ACC comes somewhat at Syracuse's expense, since we are currently on the inside and they are not (yet, anyway). I know we have lots of UConn friends on this and their board. I have enjoyed the rivalry, but I don't want it to continue. There are better brands out there than UConn.

From my perspective, I'd like to see the ACC first go after Notre Dame for all sports but football, but do the 3+ games scheduling arrangement like they have with the Big East, and I would offer the same to Texas, although their move to the Pac 10 seems to be close. As my next choice, I would make an overture to Penn State. People will say that Penn State would be taking a step back, prestige-wise and economically by moving to the ACC, but adding Penn State and Notre Dame, even part time, would make that ideal Eastern League that we old timers always dreamed of. And it would put the ACC in tremendous position to renegotiate their contract that is only a year old.

Only after those avenues are explored do I think about UConn. Nobody wants Rutgers. Leave them at the roadside to die, or get scooped up by the Big 10, as they have thought for so many years now. West Virginia will never get into the ACC because of their academic profile, but they would be great to add to Pitt, Va Tech, Virginia, Syracuse and BC as rivals.

Personally, I've never gotten over Calhoun's dirty recruiting against us in the pre-probation days, when it cost us Donyell Marshall, who really made their program, solidifying the miracle year they had with Chris Smith and Tate George, turning them into a perennial contender. Calhoun also cost us Jalen Rose, who fared pretty well in college, too, making 2 championship games. UConn, to me, built their program on the backs of our probation. I hope that the Pasqualoni hire submarines their football program, and any way you cut it, Calhoun has won his 3 championships, but last year's team shouldn't have been allowed to play for the championship because of their violations, and he cheated, as well, in paying $40K to the AAU coach of Rudy Gay and scheduled an exhibition game with their team, in order to get him. Calhoun and Boeheim have become personal friends because of their shared cancer experience, but I just don't like him.

As for the football side, tri-state recruiting is a zero sum game. I want to see UConn and Rutgers in a lesser league, so that we get the better recruits, just like we used to. It's that simple. From a selfish perspective, UConn gaining admittance to the ACC comes somewhat at Syracuse's expense, since we are currently on the inside and they are not (yet, anyway). I know we have lots of UConn friends on this and their board. I have enjoyed the rivalry, but I don't want it to continue. There are better brands out there than UConn.

I would like to see two of Penn State, Notre Dame (all sports), Kansas or UConn... in that order. Kansas is probably a bit of a bad fit, but it would really be a plum on the basketball side.

ACC has a conference provision stating all members are required to be in Division I-A Football. Gtown/Nova are out by default. WVA was already told no.

Penn State would never downgrade to a worse football conference (let's be realistic). Same for ND. They have a contract right now making them more money than any member of a conference. If they are ever forced to move into a conference (due to some crazy NCAA split off or something) it will be the Big 10.

L'ville and Cincy don't fit the ACC profile they're looking for (correct mix of academics, geography, and big TV market)

UCONN and Rutgers are the only two options right now. No one knows if ACC actually wants to go to 16 until there are more options on the table a few years down the line. Also there are rumors that BC indicated they will try to veto UCONN invitation so they don't have to split the New England TV market.

I understand the UConn sentiment, but if we want to be honest, it's better for SU sports overall for UConn and Rutgers to be in lesser leagues, so we don''t have the same competition for recruits in the tri-state area. After Calhoun retires, UConn would slip back into a mediocre program without the ACC, if the Big East turns to junk. That's better for us, despite personal friendships and connections.

Are you implying that JB and JC are personal friends? If you are, you are very much mistaken. Trust me on this one.

Are you implying that JB and JC are personal friends? If you are, you are very much mistaken. Trust me on this one.

Interesting. I've always thought the "friends" thing between JB and JC was overplayed. I think there is a mutual respect but also a healthy competitive dislike.

I also heard a quote that was attributed to JB that went something like, "I'm Calhoun's best friend in coaching, and even I think he's an a**hole."

Really? I never would have guessed it until the last couple of years when the media keeps seeming to play up their friendship (especially with the cancer connection). I always wondered who JB was closest to on the coaching circuit...my guesses would be: 1. Phil Martelli, 2. Coach K, 3. Pitino

I would like to see two of Penn State, Notre Dame (all sports), Kansas or UConn... in that order. Kansas is probably a bit of a bad fit, but it would really be a plum on the basketball side.

Unless Penn State comes up with a big name coach to replace Joe Pa, they will be in danger of becoming the new Northwestern. They bring nothing to the BB side.

Really? I never would have guessed it until the last couple of years when the media keeps seeming to play up their friendship (especially with the cancer connection). I always wondered who JB was closest to on the coaching circuit...my guesses would be: 1. Phil Martelli, 2. Coach K, 3. Pitino

1. PJ (even though he's not coaching right now), 2. K. 3. Rick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom