2-point shootouts? NCAA looks to limit OT football games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2-point shootouts? NCAA looks to limit OT football games

NFL overtime is absolutely awful. I don't see anything wrong with current college overtime. I find it exciting.
NFL overtime is so contrived ...first to score wins, unless it's a field goal, then the other team gets the ball and it's over, unless they get a field goal too, then you play sudden death, and if the clock runs out it ends in a tie. Seriously? Awful

I personally think the current NFL OT format is a perfect balance. The old NFL format was way too skewed towards who won the coin toss, and I find the current college system just too drawn out.
NFL overtime is absolutely awful. I don't see anything wrong with current college overtime. I find it exciting.
NFL overtime is so contrived ...first to score wins, unless it's a field goal, then the other team gets the ball and it's over, unless they get a field goal too, then you play sudden death, and if the clock runs out it ends in a tie. Seriously? Awful
Any OT tweak that doesn't give both teams a chance with the ball is DOA. The NCAA is trying to be fair. The NFL is trying to get the game over so the 4 o'clock games can be televised. "Fairness" is why we have conference championship games, so the bid to the NCAA playoffs could be decided on the field rather than arbitrarily. (It was designed for a lower division conference in PA and the SEC jumped through the loophole.) I like the 2-point shootout. If they don't choose that one, I'd choose the "No kicking in OT" option.

I think it's time for change in the college OT. too many times games are 21 all and end up 49-48 where the final score in no way reflects what kind of game it really was.

Adopting the modern NFL model makes sense. Could be tweeks. Play with no clock .

Who cares about what the score ends up?

The NFL has the worst overtime rules in sports. NCAA football has one of the best.

I personally think the current NFL OT format is a perfect balance. The old NFL format was way too skewed towards who won the coin toss, and I find the current college system just too drawn out.

Anything that relies primarily on the literal flip of a coin is ridiculous and has no business in sports. Pure luck should not be a factor.

KC and NE in the AFC championship: everyone knew whichever team won the coin flip would win the game. Neither defense was going to be able to stop the offense. Just a ridiculous way to end a sporting event.

Anything that relies primarily on the literal flip of a coin is ridiculous and has no business in sports. Pure luck should not be a factor.

KC and NE in the AFC championship: everyone knew whichever team won the coin flip would win the game. Neither defense was going to be able to stop the offense. Just a ridiculous way to end a sporting event.
Absolutely this. If I were NFL commissioner I would at least decide that the team that gets the ball first in OT is the team that was last to score in regulation. Keeps momentum and takes decision from a coin and puts it in the hands of game play.

But this change would be too awesome so it will never get done

Any OT tweak that doesn't give both teams a chance with the ball is DOA. The NCAA is trying to be fair. The NFL is trying to get the game over so the 4 o'clock games can be televised. "Fairness" is why we have conference championship games, so the bid to the NCAA playoffs could be decided on the field rather than arbitrarily. (It was designed for a lower division conference in PA and the SEC jumped through the loophole.) I like the 2-point shootout. If they don't choose that one, I'd choose the "No kicking in OT" option.
Hate a 2 point shootout. A 2 point shoot out should never decide a game. Never. Would cheapen the whole game.

And all sporting events are based on fairness. One team gets the ball, then the other. NFL does it too, they just a have a ridiculous overtime format

Or maybe they could use the current system in the regular season, and then in the playoffs you just play another 15 minute quarter like a basketball overtime.

Why does there even have to be OT, unless it is a playoff game ?

What's wrong with just having ties be part of the record ?

It might even make for interesting strategy, eg if a team potentially ties on a TD plus point after vs. go for the W with a two point try or eschew a tying FG attempt to try for a game winning TD.

Exactly. I watch it and it pisses me off.

It might even make for interesting strategy, eg if a team potentially ties on a TD plus point after vs. go for the W with a two point try or eschew a tying FG attempt to try for a game winning TD.
I have no problem with keeping ties. Everyone likes to quote what Duffy Daugherty of Sparty said after the tie with ND, "Tying is like kissing your sister." But they fail to quote the second part of what he said, "... but losing is like kissing your brother."

Yep, if after 60 minutes, two teams are even, I'm fine with calling it a draw. If we supposedly care about player safety, playing additional minutes doesn't seem prudent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom