2014 Dome Attendance Spike? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2014 Dome Attendance Spike?

I'm not a marketer, although I work with a team of great ones, so I've learned a little through osmosis.

While I'm a fervent believer that, in the case of SU football, marketing only helps marginally around the edges, and that winning is what really moves the needle, I do think the timing is right to up their efforts this summer.

They really need to hammer home (1) three bowl wins in 4 years ("we're on the rise!"), (2) lots of exciting returning offensive talent ("we'll be fun to watch!"), (3) great home schedule anchored by [hopefully] defending national champion Florida State ("you'll see us play good teams!").

I think SU really needs to drive a narrative about the program in a more forceful way... and then hope and pray the team delivers.

our pricing people must wake up every morning thanking their lucky stars that somewhere on the internet exists a man who might be worse at this stuff than they are.

That would be you. Donors and donation levels aren't keeping a single person out of the Dome. If someone doesn't want to pay $150 per game, they could pay $99 for the whole season or get the single game deals. Not sure why you struggle so much with this.

So statesman do you still get seasons tickets or just buy singles as needed? I think the Food Stamp tickets would be ideal for your situation. The Tops Club section looks great if your kids qualify.

As an aside and just a general comment about how society is evolving

Most of us who grew up in the 60s-70s didn't have too many kids activities (little league, girls or boy scouts) and parents didn't have to feel compelled to be at every event. It is ok to miss a game or two IMHO.

The problem for SU isn't necessarily kid's activities pulling people away, it's simply math. We have a tiny fan base compared to most Power 5 conference FBS schools (private school with far flung alums and a stagnant regional population). When you compare our attendance to our institutional peer set we look pretty darn good. And I continue to think that the Dome was built 6-8K seats too large. Think of all the sellouts we'd have had over the years if capacity was 44K?

So statesman do you still get seasons tickets or just buy singles as needed? I think the Food Stamp tickets would be ideal for your situation. The Tops Club section looks great if your kids qualify.

As an aside and just a general comment about how society is evolving

Most of us who grew up in the 60s-70s didn't have too many kids activities (little league, girls or boy scouts) and parents didn't have to feel compelled to be at every event. It is ok to miss a game or two IMHO.
No I'm a diehard and still buy season tickets-I've sucked it up through the lean years I'm not about to give them up here as it appears that we're on the verge. I'm coaching my daughter's indoor soccer team here in Rochester and there would be a lot fewer conflicts with the evening games with the travel time etc. Your point about society is right on- I'd still rather watch my kids games than SU- is that wrong? lol

one of the problems Syracuse has is one the Yankees just found out the hard way.

they need a ROCKSTAR.

they need to market a ROCKSTAR.

no Jeter, no ARod...no inflated attendence #s.

hunt is not a rockstar, hes not going to put fannys in the seats. neither is anyone else on offense.

the ORANGE could go 9-3 next year with the 3 losses coming at Giants Stadium and 2 on the road, and attendence will be about 40k.

i doubt the cnyers even care to see a winner.

now, some 3 star kid running for 2k or a QB at the top of the ratings board putting up playstation #s, win or lose...

that sells.

The problem for SU isn't necessarily kid's activities pulling people away, it's simply math. We have a tiny fan base compared to most Power 5 conference FBS schools (private school with far flung alums and a stagnant regional population). When you compare our attendance to our institutional peer set we look pretty darn good. And I continue to think that the Dome was built 6-8K seats too large. Think of all the sellouts we'd have had over the years if capacity was 44K?

Agreed...I'm not totally opposed to a new Dome Stadium being built slightly smaller. Just need to figure out to get 20k high quality hoop seats in the Dome and 10k marginal ones.

No I'm a diehard and still buy season tickets-I've sucked it up through the lean years I'm not about to give them up here as it appears that we're on the verge. I'm coaching my daughter's indoor soccer team here in Rochester and there would be a lot fewer conflicts with the evening games with the travel time etc. Your point about society is right on- I'd still rather watch my kids games than SU- is that wrong? lol

BTW, thank you for driving over from Rochester...wish there were more of you. Below is not directed at you but I'll step on my soap box and preach.

I guess my point is (not sure what your daughters age is) is parents are running around crazy with tons of activities for elementary school aged kids. It is okay for your 10 year old to miss a game for a SU FB or BB game...or at least arrange for another parent to take them to the game and hang out at their house while you go to the game or see a movie with your wife. I'm not directing this at you but more to young parents today. You will have middle school and high school years still to come (it only gets worse)...take a breath and enjoy other things besides watching 14 kids swarm around a soccer ball.

BTW, thank you for driving over from Rochester...wish there were more of you. Below is not directed at you but I'll step on my soap box and preach.

I guess my point is (not sure what your daughters age is) is parents are running around crazy with tons of activities for elementary school aged kids. It is okay for your 10 year old to miss a game for a SU FB or BB game...or at least arrange for another parent to take them to the game and hang out at their house while you go to the game or see a movie with your wife. I'm not directing this at you but more to young parents today. You will have middle school and high school years still to come (it only gets worse)...take a breath and enjoy other things besides watching 14 kids swarm around a soccer ball.

I agree! I don't know or care about sports like soccer, but they've got basketball games being played by 6-7 year olds nowadays! Ridiculous. There's no skill development whatsoever and trying to play basketball games at that age is a complete waste of time.

Night games are horrible for me. I don't live in Syracuse and a 7:00 game means I am driving until around 1-2 a.m..

Hey I totally agree with you- I've taken both my girls to SU games to try and get them hooked, and possibly save their marriages one day, on football (In particular SU football- the best kind). My younger daughter is on board and I'm glad I have a partner in crime to share the experience with. My particular problem is that as a coach, I've made a slightly different commitment than the typical parent who is just dropping a kid off and running errands. It's been an all too frustrating road trip for the last decade or so, and now that we can see some light at the end of the tunnel that drive is not so difficult to make anymore. You are 100% right on about over zealous parents over doing it with their kids at a very young age. I see it way too often. Its very sad that the leagues have had to implement zero tolerance policies not just for the kids but aimed at the parents.

As to more butts in seats- its been said here by many- winning football games, playing exciting offensive football, and the upgraded ACC home schedule will do the trick. Getting rid of my extra ticket used to be a tough sell- now, not so much.

Outside of the hardcore 20-25,000 SU fans, most other folks in the Syracuse area know very little about the team. Some think they know, but they are embarrassingly ignorant. Others just plain don't know . We as fans have operated in a siege mentality for too long. For the last decade, we gravitated to other hardcore fans, following the team, giving our support, but not being nearly vocal enough. That has to end. You want to get more support into e Dome? Talk it up to folks who don't follow it. Sell them on the idea that SU is coming back, on the excitement of being at the Dome fort he BC game, on the affordability of tickets. Invite them to a tailgate. Make it an event. Syracuse area residents are passive, and need to feel like lots of other people are into something before they tentatively check things out. We need a grass roots effort. And that starts with the hardcore fans.

Well, with the help of great experiences at 2 Fine Mess tailgates I've recruited an additional 4 season ticket buyers for next year. And not being facetious about that at all. The wife of one of my friends actually asked if she can come to the tailgates even if they don't go to the game!

Well, with the help of great experiences at 2 Fine Mess tailgates I've recruited an additional 4 season ticket buyers for next year. And not being facetious about that at all. The wife of one of my friends actually asked if she can come to the tailgates even if they don't go to the game!

There ya go. It sounds silly, but I don't think it is at all. I was completely serious. (Well, as serious as I am able to be.) The hardcore fans need to recruit more fans. Marketing by the University can only do so much until SU starts winning bigger. In the meantime, we are their best hope at creating a buzz. People will go -- people who are largely non-fans to date, and fence-sitters -- if we encourage them a little. Of course this is a small-scale thing, grass-roots, as I said, and it works better locally than outside 315. But still, if even one out of ten fans can get ONE other fan to go, that's a ten percent increase in attendance, and that's noticeable.

There ya go. It sounds silly, but I don't think it is at all. I was completely serious. (Well, as serious as I am able to be.) The hardcore fans need to recruit more fans. Marketing by the University can only do so much until SU starts winning bigger. In the meantime, we are their best hope at creating a buzz. People will go -- people who are largely non-fans to date, and fence-sitters -- if we encourage them a little. Of course this is a small-scale thing, grass-roots, as I said, and it works better locally than outside 315. But still, if even one out of ten fans can get ONE other fan to go, that's a ten percent increase in attendance, and that's noticeable.

You know, I agree with everything you said but it's a damn shame you even had to say it and SU doesn't do their part in increasing attendance.

my "likes" for those posts of yours are for that great pic avatar! (though I'm sure the post contents were solid too ;))
thanks for pointing that out...a great photo start to a blow up doll.

I'm not a marketer, although I work with a team of great ones, so I've learned a little through osmosis.

While I'm a fervent believer that, in the case of SU football, marketing only helps marginally around the edges, and that winning is what really moves the needle, I do think the timing is right to up their efforts this summer.

They really need to hammer home (1) three bowl wins in 4 years ("we're on the rise!"), (2) lots of exciting returning offensive talent ("we'll be fun to watch!"), (3) great home schedule anchored by [hopefully] defending national champion Florida State ("you'll see us play good teams!").

I think SU really needs to drive a narrative about the program in a more forceful way... and then hope and pray the team delivers.

What you said is spot on for next year. They need to hit this hard and start marketing in June after lax season. There are a lot of positives starting to come together for this program and a little bit more manageable of a schedule next year could push us into more wins.