2015-2017 NFL drafts SU will only have 1 player we recruited drafted | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2015-2017 NFL drafts SU will only have 1 player we recruited drafted

Don't think Marrone had the support he needed to recruit and produce at the level we know he's capable of.

HCSS's a great guy but not a P5 head coach.

So who recruited our greatest single season WR out of high school? Who saw the diamond in the rough but just couldn't cut that diamond?

We are in the position we are in now because of Dr. Gross going cheap when Douglas Marrone left.

We need talent. Our roster is less talented than some group of 5 schools.

The fact we had a significant portion of our fanbase that wanted Scott Shafer to get a 4th year shows how far behind we are in college football from being relevant.

The administration is lucky Dino was available and took this challenge. I don't think he even realized how far behind we were.

Syracuse football should be sending multiple draft picks every year. Our roster the last 3 years has shown the 9-27 record isn't a fluke. It's the roster we have.

Not really all that surprising when you consider what Shafer was recruiting. Just look at where the players in his final class ended up after Dino got here. This would have been roughly 50% of our 2016 class and Lindsey Scott would have been gone the second that LSU offer came.

Monquavion Brinson(Georgia Southern)

Noel Brouse(UConn)

Cam DeGeorge: (UConn)

Brandon Ginnetti(Rhode Island)

Will Harper(Tulane)

DE Jamal Holloway(unqualified)

Sadiq Palmer(UMass)

Dymelle Parker(Towson)

Taylor Riggins(UMass)

Lindsey Scott(LSU)

Darius Stubbs(Georgia State)

The punter Riley Dixon.

Amba has a chance to get drafted but he was brought in by Dino.

Look at the talent our coaches recruited. The NFL has rejected it.

Dino is going to change this.

I hope Brisly Estime gets a shot somewhere as a FA.

You recruit smaller guys with big football hearts, you're not gonna get a lot of draft picks.

Unfortunately you're not gonna get a lot of wins either. It's a two-fer.

Turning it around instantly is mission impossible. But Dino is bringing in bigger humans. That's step 1.

We are in the position we are in now because of Dr. Gross going cheap when Douglas Marrone left.

We need talent. Our roster is less talented than some group of 5 schools.

The fact we had a significant portion of our fanbase that wanted Scott Shafer to get a 4th year shows how far behind we are in college football from being relevant.

The administration is lucky Dino was available and took this challenge. I don't think he even realized how far behind we were.

Syracuse football should be sending multiple draft picks every year. Our roster the last 3 years has shown the 9-27 record isn't a fluke. It's the roster we have.

No reason to re-litigate that conversation... Much of what you said was 100%. But I don't think it was crazy to give Shafer the HC job. For 3 of the 4 years Marrone was coach, the defense vastly overplayed the offense. Marrone/Hackett's O was a train wreck for 3 years, while the defensive improvement was almost immediate under Shafer as DC.

The timing was pretty awful to0. 1st year in the ACC, the college HC carousel had slowed down a bunch by the time Marrone took the Bills job, Dr. Gross was on the "getting hot seat" due to spending, the ACC $ hadn't kicked in just yet, etc.

Hindsight makes us all look like geniuses.

Marrone had plenty of NFL guys: shamarko, nassib, 2 lbs, pugh. All i can think of right now, and if he didn't recruit them all, he certainly developed them, thought he and his assistants were stellar.

That wasn't the argument I was making. I said his recruiting sucked, not his player development. Robinson left him with some pieces. Not sure Marrone left Shafer with much.

Shafer deserves one more year, because he's really recruiting well!

Remember that fun discussion?! Diamonds in roughs!

Franklin, Bennett, Dungey, Slayton, Ishmeal - were all Shafer guys. Dungey might be the 3rd best QB in the ACC this year. Ishmeal a 4 year starter. Bennett/Franklin put up monster numbers. Slayton is an NFL prospect.

Not saying he deserved to stay based on his recruiting, but you're selling these guys a little short.

No reason to re-litigate that conversation... Much of what you said was 100%. But I don't think it was crazy to give Shafer the HC job. For 3 of the 4 years Marrone was coach, the defense vastly overplayed the offense. Marrone/Hackett's O was a train wreck for 3 years, while the defensive improvement was almost immediate under Shafer as DC.

The timing was pretty awful to0. 1st year in the ACC, the college HC carousel had slowed down a bunch by the time Marrone took the Bills job, Dr. Gross was on the "getting hot seat" due to spending, the ACC $ hadn't kicked in just yet, etc.

When I watch 3 NFL drafts in a row and only freaking here the punter called that is the reason for my post.

The post Marrone Era was a complete bungling by the SU administration.

Our facilities were neglected and we hired the painter after the architect left. I don't care how the D looked it was always the wrong decision. Talent was always our biggest problem. I don't think people realize how inferior our talent is compared to even middle ACC teams like Pitt and NC State.

Those teams top talent blows our top talent away.

When I watch 3 NFL drafts in a row and only freaking here the punter called that is the reason for my post.

The post Marrone Era was a complete bungling by the SU administration.

Our facilities were neglected and we hired the painter after the architect left. I don't care how the D looked it was always the wrong decision. Talent was always our biggest problem. I don't think people realize how inferior our talent is compared to even middle ACC teams like Pitt and NC State.

Those teams top talent blows our top talent away.

The talent bit is fair for sure.

Your characterization of Shafer as the "painter" and Doug as the "architect" is not at all consistent with the stats. Shafer's D propped up the team for 3 of the 4 years and helped produce near all of the big wins in those years.

But you and I will never agree on this stuff - Let's just be glad we got a real coach.

Our 2013 and 2014 recruiting classes are cycling thru the NFL draft now.

I do think we have a couple of possible picks from the 2015 recruiting class.

If none of the 2015 players are drafted. The entire Scott Shafer recruiting classes will go without a single NFL draft pick for a player who played their eligibility recruited to Syracuse.

The post Marrone Era really set us back talent wise while joining the ACC.

My mental math isn't following this. 2013 was shafers first class but it was a transustion class where many were Marrone kids shafer held on to. Marrone left shortly before loi day. So I don't put that class all on shafer. Most of his other recruits still haven't graduated. A lot of his 2014 class is still on the roster.

So I don't follow how having 1 kid drafted in the 2015-17 drafts is on shafer.

yes it was crazy and...yes, I am a genius.

it is preposterous to think that SU had 2, 2!!...P5 level HC's on staff.

the results just were not there for everyone and their blind grandmother to see.

name SS interim and then go find someone who just missed out on jobs, but is still a DC or an OC at a high level program ready for the next step.

the results just were not there for everyone and their blind grandmother to see.

name SS interim and then go find someone who just missed out on jobs, but is still a DC or an OC at a high level program ready for the next step.
Hey I was one of the few against the SS hire. I got killed for it.

It was just obvious the AD cheapened out and gave the job to the assistant at the most important time in the program transition from BE to ACC.

I agree with the interim tag.

There are times when P5 programs have more than 2 p5 level HC's on staff - we may have that now. (There were people here calling for Hackett, lolz.) The job Shafer did on D was a very large reason Marrone had the chance to get an NFL job. That combined with Dr.Gross's standing, the ACC move with no ACC 4, etc. made it a defensible call.

My mental math isn't following this. 2013 was shafers first class but it was a transustion class where many were Marrone kids shafer held on to. Marrone left shortly before loi day. So I don't put that class all on shafer. Most of his other recruits still haven't graduated. A lot of his 2014 class is still on the roster.

So I don't follow how having 1 kid drafted in the 2015-17 drafts is on shafer.
2013-2015 are SS recruiting classes.

The lack of drafted NFL talent is on DM and SS.

These rosters had 1 draft pick on them. That speaks volumes to the current state of the roster now.

Hey I was one of the few against the SS hire. I got killed for it.

It was just obvious the AD cheapened out and gave the job to the assistant at the most important time in the program transition from BE to ACC.

The AD had his hand slapped for a bunch of reasons - I don't think there was the appetite for big spending on the BoT just yet.

The distance from where we were talent and coaching wise to where we want to be is big enough to dump a lot of blame on a lot of people. None of them are still employed by Syracuse.

Onward.

2013-2015 are SS recruiting classes.

The lack of drafted NFL talent is on DM and SS.

These rosters had 1 draft pick on them. That speaks volumes to the current state of the roster now.

That's not what you said in the post I responded to or prior posts. The only draft eligible class shafer recruited was 2013 which wasn't really his class either since he got hired 1 month before LOI day.

That's not what you said in the post I responded to or prior posts. The only draft eligible class shafer recruited was 2013 which wasn't really his class either since he got hired 1 month before LOI day.
The 2014 recruiting class was eligible for the draft.
They played in the 2014, 2015, 2016 seasons.

The 2014 recruiting class was eligible for the draft.
They played in the 2014, 2015, 2016 seasons.

If they left early after playing 2 or 3 years.

You know the point. The idea that the lack of draftees in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 is because of shafers recruiting is wrong.

If they left early after playing 2 or 3 years.

You know the point. The idea that the lack of draftees in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 is because of shafers recruiting is wrong.
He was the DC right? It's on Marrone and Shafer.

He was the DC right? It's on Marrone and Shafer.

Instead of constantly moving the bar, you need to read your own post I originally responded to.

Instead of constantly moving the bar, you need to read your own post I originally responded to.
Whatever you do a good job attacking what you disagree with and never giving an opinion.

I think you know my position. Shafer was a terrible hire and is a big reason why the program is the position we are in now. There are you happy.

Whatever you do a good job attacking what you disagree with and never giving an opinion.

I think you know my position. Shafer was a terrible hire and is a big reason why the program is the position we are in now. There are you happy.

I only provided facts which is all that was called for in a thread discussing recruiting classes and the draft.