2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

Beckham will and should be suspended. I suspect Norman will receive a fine of some sort. Coughlin will be fired. The refs should also be suspended IMO.

How many Bills fans wish they still had Marrone??
If that means we have Shwartz, maybe..

I still think we have a core to be a really good team after what I assume will be a massive overhaul of the defense to fit Rex's scheme this offseason.

With Marrone, not sure what he would've done with Pegula $$$, but I don't think we have Taylor or McCoy. Also no Incognito, who is the only player I care about us keeping on the offensive line...maybe Glenn if he doesn't command a stupid contract.

If that means we have Shwartz, maybe..

I still think we have a core to be a really good team after what I assume will be a massive overhaul of the defense to fit Rex's scheme this offseason.

With Marrone, not sure what he would've done with Pegula $$$, but I don't think we have Taylor or McCoy. Also no Incognito, who is the only player I care about us keeping on the offensive line...maybe Glenn if he doesn't command a stupid contract.

The Bills didn't have a defense problem last year. They hired a defensive coach and he screwed up the defense. I think the Ryan family just can't coach defense anymore. The NFL has passed them by.

In the Bills case, I think you gotta give Rex one more year to get his own personnel in. Obviously Mario will be cut. That will free up $12 million to use on re-signing some of the good players that are also good fits, and I assume they'll be looking for someone that's more of a 3-4 pass-rusher than Mario is. Also gotta improve the linebacking core IMO.

At any rate, Rex is proven as a great defensive coach, and the Bills offense has been good enough. A little improvement in Tyrod's ability to read defenses/go through his progressions and Rex getting the defense to where you'd expect them to be and this is a playoff team.

In the Bills case, I think you gotta give Rex one more year to get his own personnel in. Obviously Mario will be cut. That will free up $12 million to use on re-signing some of the good players that are also good fits, and I assume they'll be looking for someone that's more of a 3-4 pass-rusher than Mario is. Also gotta improve the linebacking core IMO.

At any rate, Rex is proven as a great defensive coach, and the Bills offense has been good enough. A little improvement in Tyrod's ability to read defenses/go through his progressions and Rex getting the defense to where you'd expect them to be and this is a playoff team.
This team now should be a playoff team this year. The talent on Buffalo is definitely top tier right now. The coach hasn't coached the team well. The team is undisciplined. The schedule was beyond soft for the AFC East this year with crossover from AFC South and NFC East the two worst divisions in football.
Next year the AFC East plays AFC North and NFC West. That is a tough schedule. Rex is getting another year but I don't think it will be easier next year.

The last time Rex Ryan had a defense that was in the top half of the league in points and yards was 2010. The Jets have gone from 24th in points allowed to 8th this year with most of the same players.

This team now should be a playoff team this year. The talent on Buffalo is definitely top tier right now. The coach hasn't coached the team well. The team is undisciplined. The schedule was beyond soft for the AFC East this year with crossover from AFC South and NFC East the two worst divisions in football.
Next year the AFC East plays AFC North and NFC West. That is a tough schedule. Rex is getting another year but I don't think it will be easier next year.
I don't worry about crossover schedules. Who knows how teams will be year to year.

The team is undisciplined but I think a lot of it is players playing out of their comfort zone and injuries.

Look at how the Bills defense played coming out of the break when they got healthy. No Aaron Williams or Kyle Williams but they looked good in their 3 after bye games until the injury bug hit again.

I think this year has to be a mulligan for Rex. The defense will be revamped big time and next year, with a year 2 Tyrod Taylor, the weapons on offense and the defensive personnel Rex asks for in the offseason, it's going to be his make or break year.

The last time Rex Ryan had a defense that was in the top half of the league in points and yards was 2010. The Jets have gone from 24th in points allowed to 8th this year with most of the same players.
They added Revis and some other players.

They also played the easiest schedule in the NFL.

Almost half of their starters are new this year.

I don't worry about crossover schedules. Who knows how teams will be year to year.

The team is undisciplined but I think a lot of it is players playing out of their comfort zone and injuries.

Look at how the Bills defense played coming out of the break when they got healthy. No Aaron Williams or Kyle Williams but they looked good in their 3 after bye games until the injury bug hit again.

I think this year has to be a mulligan for Rex. The defense will be revamped big time and next year, with a year 2 Tyrod Taylor, the weapons on offense and the defensive personnel Rex asks for in the offseason, it's going to be his make or break year.
Next year's schedule for Buffalo
NE
@NE
Miami
@Miami
NYJ
@NYJ
@Seattle
@Rams
Arizona
San Francisco
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
@Baltimore
@Cincinnati
likely-Jacksonville
likely- @Raiders

That is a really hard schedule. They should have made the playoffs this year with 8 games against the AFC South and NFC East.

I don't know if it's on our radar but I would be all in on Rex going after Wilkerson. I think Buffalo's defense will have at least a 50% turnover with only Dareus, Hughes, Gilmore and Darby safe.

Next year's schedule for Buffalo
NE
@NE
Miami
@Miami
NYJ
@NYJ
@Seattle
@Rams
Arizona
San Francisco
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
@Baltimore
@Cincinnati
likely-Jacksonville
likely- @Raiders

That is a really hard schedule. They should have made the playoffs this year with 8 games against the AFC South and NFC East.

Eh, as another poster said, it's hard to really read too much into that when we have no idea what these teams will look like a year from now. If the Bills can win 3-4 of the division games, they should once again have a chance at getting to 9-10 wins, but once again, it likely won't be easy.

I doubt Wilkerson won't get franchised. He is going to get paid. If he doesn't.

I just looked it up if Denver loses to Cincinnati and KC, Pittsburgh, NY Jets all win out. The Broncos won't even make the playoffs at 11-5.

I doubt Wilkerson won't get franchised. He is going to get paid. If he doesn't.

I just looked it up if Denver loses to Cincinnati and KC, Pittsburgh, NY Jets all win out. The Broncos won't even make the playoffs at 11-5.
He'll definitely get paid but they drafted Williams for a reason. They don't have the money to do anything else if they try to resign him.

With Buffalo having an ultra rich owner who can play the salary cap game and at least one almost foregone big contract to be shown the door, I think Wilkerson to Buffalo could realistically happen.

FWIW, I'm so happy the Steelers won yesterday. I would've been miserable if they lost knowing we had an outside shot at the playoffs. Not sure I see Pitt/KC losing again in the regular season.

Eh, as another poster said, it's hard to really read too much into that when we have no idea what these teams will look like a year from now. If the Bills can win 3-4 of the division games, they should once again have a chance at getting to 9-10 wins, but once again, it likely won't be easy.
That schedule is hard. I wouldn't expect them to win 10 games. They could of course but the AFC North and NFC West are way tougher than the AFC South and NFC East.
Going 3-3 in the division is tough. NE typically loses 1-2 road divisional games a year.
Baltimore won't suck again next year and Pitt/Cincy have been consistent playoff teams. Raiders and Jaguars are young teams going upward.

That schedule is hard and comparing it to this year's schedule there is no question it is harder. AFC South and NFC East are the worst 2 divisions in football this year.

Patriots aren't going to play Edelman/Amendola/Hightower/Chung/Chandler this week. The Jets are going to beat the Pats and I am fine with it. As the Pats have a bye clinched and week 17 at Miami they will win to clinch HFA.

Denver has to beat Cincinnati or I think the AFC playoffs will look like this.
1. NE
2. Cincinnati
3. KC
4. Houston
5. Pittsburgh
6. NY Jets

He'll definitely get paid but they drafted Williams for a reason. They don't have the money to do anything else if they try to resign him.

With Buffalo having an ultra rich owner who can play the salary cap game and at least one almost foregone big contract to be shown the door, I think Wilkerson to Buffalo could realistically happen.
Having a rich owner means nothing with a hard salary cap. Teams that win FA don't typically win. I would rather have 3 five million dollar players than one 15 million dollar player.

If Taylor has a good year next year he will eventually cost you a good amount of money.

Having a rich owner means nothing with a hard salary cap. Teams that win FA don't typically win. I would rather have 3 five million dollar players than one 15 million dollar player.

If Taylor has a good year next year he will eventually cost you a good amount of money.

The Bills aren't going anywhere too far with Taylor as their QB. He's an ok starting NFL QB but not somebody that is going to get you to the playoffs unless all of the other components are top shelf.

There's ways around the cap if the owner is willing. Teams do it all the time. Not saying we can sign whoever we want but if they want Wilkerson, they can make it work.

I'd like to resign Gilmore, Glenn and Incognito. Maybe Rambo and Bradham. Go out and sign Wilkerson and a RT.

Cut/Trade Mario and Kyle.

Part ways with Robert Woods, Leodis McKelvin and Percy Harvin.

Draft 2 linebackers and a safety in the first 3 rounds unless a QB falls to us.

Move Hogan to WR2 and bring in some tall WRs.

There's ways around the cap if the owner is willing. Teams do it all the time. Not saying we can sign whoever we want but if they want Wilkerson, they can make it work.

I'd like to resign Gilmore, Glenn and Incognito. Maybe Rambo and Bradham. Go out and sign Wilkerson and a RT.

The way around the cap is to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Teams have to cut players or reconstruct contracts by turning money into signing bonus to spread it out over years. Being rich has nothing to do with this. Paul Allen is the wealthiest owner in the NFL he can't do anything about the salary cap.

I get the cap about as good anyone who doesn't work for an NFL team. Your top 51 count and obviously you cut people to get cap room but all teams always have dead money. The key to the cap is not having a QB eat up a lot of space but all good QBs command 15 million dollars a year minimum. You need to hit your 1st round picks cause they are cheap and need to not have not a lot of high salary guys. Buffalo is spending too much on DL this year. Now the Williams boys will get cut for sure but I wouldn't give Wilkerson 6 yr 90 million with 40 million guaranteed.

If they are going to continue with Roman as OC, guys like Robert Woods are necessary. A really good blocking WR. Of course, I don't think he's happy in that role, as he thinks he's more of a playmaker. I'd be fine keeping him around, since I'm guessing it'd be on the cheaper side.

Speaking of Harvin - what ended up being the deal with him?

Beckham suspended for one game. Appeal will be heard Tuesday.