2016 Mets | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

Was not fun sitting in the cold for that
It's basically the slump the team went into in September and never really came out of (outside of Mr. Murphy) in the playoffs and extended through spring training. Wright looks competitive and Cespedes seem to be coming around but D'arnaud and Duda are really concerning... they really didn't show much last year and seem to be continuing to do the same this year. I wonder how much Duda has to suck before Smith is called up. Granderson also seems to be really struggling to start the year off and he really carried the O last year... then again he started slow last year too.

I like Walker and Cabrera... seem like pretty decent, professional hitters.

It's basically the slump the team went into in September and never really came out of (outside of Mr. Murphy) in the playoffs and extended through spring training. Wright looks competitive and Cespedes seem to be coming around but D'arnaud and Duda are really concerning... they really didn't show much last year and seem to be continuing to do the same this year. I wonder how much Duda has to suck before Smith is called up. Granderson also seems to be really struggling to start the year off and he really carried the O last year... then again he started slow last year too.

I like Walker and Cabrera... seem like pretty decent, professional hitters.

Oh man, Smith is miles from the majors.

Duda is a good hitter, but he's super streaky, probably even more than a normal hitter. The lineup is pretty solid top to bottom; they've played 5 games. I'm really not worried at all. (Famous last words?) I'm more worried about Degrom.

Oh man, Smith is miles from the majors.

Duda is a good hitter, but he's super streaky, probably even more than a normal hitter. The lineup is pretty solid top to bottom; they've played 5 games. I'm really not worried at all. (Famous last words?) I'm more worried about Degrom.

I haven't been following the minors as closely as I usually do, who is our next ready positional player, Is it Herrea?

I haven't been following the minors as closely as I usually do, who is our next ready positional player, Is it Herrea?

I would say probably. They've graduated a lot of guys recently so the top of the minor league system is kinda meh. If Nimmo hits in Vegas he might be a call up if there is an opening in the OF. I think Dilson is probably pretty close to big league ready right now.

Maybe Rafael Montero if they need a pitcher, but he seems to have a weird relationship with the team

So 1 week or so in and we have the following results:
hitting sucks
matz sucks
harvey somewhat struggling
de from potentially heading to the DL
murph - killing it

Sigh

I would say probably. They've graduated a lot of guys recently so the top of the minor league system is kinda meh. If Nimmo hits in Vegas he might be a call up if there is an opening in the OF. I think Dilson is probably pretty close to big league ready right now.

Maybe Rafael Montero if they need a pitcher, but he seems to have a weird relationship with the team

What ever happened to Nimmo, he has been in the minors forever?

So 1 week or so in and we have the following results:
hitting sucks
matz sucks
harvey somewhat struggling
de from potentially heading to the DL
murph - killing it

Sigh
matz had a bad outing, but it was the result of 1-2 bad pitches not bad pitching. they only hit 1 ball hard, but managed to dribble the ball all over and he couldnt get a corner call a strike at all. one thing the ESPN zone does show how much the umps vary what the are calling strikes.. the marlins got call after call off the plate and matz couldnt buy one and he had 2 strikes on almost every batter. really though he was this far into his career never allowing more than 3 runs, it was gonna happen sometime.

matz had a bad outing, but it was the result of 1-2 bad pitches not bad pitching. they only hit 1 ball hard, but managed to dribble the ball all over and he couldnt get a corner call a strike at all. one thing the ESPN zone does show how much the umps vary what the are calling strikes.. the marlins got call after call off the plate and matz couldnt buy one and he had 2 strikes on almost every batter. really though he was this far into his career never allowing more than 3 runs, it was gonna happen sometime.

It could be rust, he had 10 days off, I don't understand why Terry didn't just pitch him Sunday.

Panic city.

If the nats were 3-3 i wouldnt care, but we're 3.5 out already. This could be a 95+ win nats team who knows, sometimes you dig a hole in april you cant get out of, gotta nip this in the bud now.

Panic city.

If the nats were 3-3 i wouldnt care, but we're 3.5 out already. This could be a 95+ win nats team who knows, sometimes you dig a hole in april you cant get out of, gotta nip this in the bud now.

Terry Collins is lucky he made it to the World Series last season. His seat would otherwise be bursting into flames now.

Our offense is a mess right now, I think we need to move Conforto up in the order, I don't know what else we can do, Ive never been a Lucas Duda fan, but its not like we can add anyone in the near future.

They just need the guys they have to start hitting. Which is going to happen. At some point. I'm pretty sure.

They just need the guys they have to start hitting. Which is going to happen. At some point. I'm pretty sure.

Exactly, it'll happen. Just hopefully not too late. Can't waste too many games against east-coast teams.

Exactly, it'll happen. Just hopefully not too late. Can't waste too many games against east-coast teams.

I'm more worried about Degrom potentially going on the DL and where Harvey's strikeouts have gone. On the plus side, Thor looks like the best pitcher on the planet.

Here's the problem... Duda and D'arnaud have never ever proven that they can hit consistently, yes they get hot at times but when they are not hot they are terrible. Conforto is just in his first real year so it's not clear whether he can hit constantly. I think Wright, Cespedes and Granderson will eventually start hitting and I'll give Walker and Cabrera the benefit of the doubt. But really it's the first two guys we have some major issues with.

Last year Conforto went from Binghamton to Flushing... I think Dom Smith might have to make the same trip. It's looking like we made a huge mistake in letting Murph go as he was the one guy on the team I would consider to be a professional hitter who just grinds out at bats.

I am praying this is just small sample size but we saw pretty much the same thing last year from these dudes. Unfortunately there is no real help coming.

BTW would it kill Duda to just drag a bunt down the 3rd base line when there is no infielder to the right of 2nd base? Get on base. I questioned Long most of last year other than August and I'm starting to question him again. Our guys just look lost at the plate right now and we have ZERO discipline. Who on this team is going to fight 16 pitches like Gordon did last night or Murph did last year.

I also agree with criticism of Collins... great guy but I really suspect that last year was much more on Dan Werthen than it was Collins.

Duda and D'Arnaud both have pretty good career numbers. and they were both really good last year, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

Duda has nearly 2500 career PA with a 795 OPS. He's got a 576 OPS right now. D'Arnaud has less of a track record, but 825 PA with a career 721 OPS. He's at 366 right now. There's no real reason to think they won't end the year at or above their career numbers. Just based on age, the guy I am most worried about would be Granderson.

Duda would have to be pretty seriously injured for them to consider calling Smith up. That's a loooong way off.

Since the start of 2013, there are 40 qualified 1B for hitting stats; Duda is 10th in wRC+. He's not great, but he's been a very effective hitter basically since he's gotten a full time job.

Duda and D'Arnaud both have pretty good career numbers. and they were both really good last year, so I'm not sure where this is coming from.

Duda has nearly 2500 career PA with a 795 OPS. He's got a 576 OPS right now. D'Arnaud has less of a track record, but 825 PA with a career 721 OPS. He's at 366 right now. There's no real reason to think they won't end the year at or above their career numbers. Just based on age, the guy I am most worried about would be Granderson.

Duda would have to be pretty seriously injured for them to consider calling Smith up. That's a loooong way off.

Since the start of 2013, there are 40 qualified 1B for hitting stats; Duda is 10th in wRC+. He's not great, but he's been a very effective hitter basically since he's gotten a full time job.
I hope you are right... 9 strikeouts today and counting... 0 runs and counting against a no name pitcher from the marlins.

I just have to say Terry using Jim Henderson today is one of the more baffling decisions I've seen.

I hope I'm right too.

I couldn't believe he went to him, I also don't understand taking out Robles after he blows two guys away, I don't care that Blevins is a lefty, let Robles stay in.

I couldn't believe he went to him, I also don't understand taking out Robles after he blows two guys away, I don't care that Blevins is a lefty, let Robles stay in.
Because Collins plays by his rule book regardless of situation. Great guy but he needs to retire

Because Collins plays by his rule book regardless of situation. Great guy but he needs to retire

I like Terry, but I hate this micromanaging of the bullpen more than anything.

Interesting to see in his big league career Robles has a reverse platoon split. I would not have guessed that.

Using Henderson was just awful. Indefensible.

Interesting to see in his big league career Robles has a reverse platoon split. I would not have guessed that.

Using Henderson was just awful. Indefensible.
if Henderson goes on the DL... Collins needs to go with him.

But the real problem isn't Collins... it's on the mets hitting approach. They just give away way too many at bats. Cespedes is the worst at this... duda and darnaud aren't much farther behind. When these guys are hot they are hot but when they are not they are terrible. Wright's body has somewhat given out on him so he has to cheat on fastballs so he can't really grind at bats anymore either. I just don't trust these guys to hit consistently.

if Henderson goes on the DL... Collins needs to go with him.

But the real problem isn't Collins... it's on the mets hitting approach. They just give away way too many at bats. Cespedes is the worst at this... duda and darnaud aren't much farther behind. When these guys are hot they are hot but when they are not they are terrible. Wright's body has somewhat given out on him so he has to cheat on fastballs so he can't really grind at bats anymore either. I just don't trust these guys to hit consistently.

I think you're too hard on both D'Arnaud and Duda. Duda works a lot of at bats. He does take a lot of fastballs down the middle in hitters counts though. Duda was top 20 in baseball last year in pitches seen per PA. (Grandy #1 btw). Cespedes; that's what he does. He's going to get red hot from time to time and he's going to chase a lot of high fastballs.

D'Arnaud and Duda both were great last year. I have to say, I don't quite understand why you are focused so much on him. There's little reason to think they won't hit this year.

duda will be duda, hit around .250 and 25-30 hrs. d'arnaud im a little worried, he was pretty bad in the playoffs, pretty bad in the spring, and really bad so far. hes never put together a full season, remember it was only 2 years ago he got demoted during the season. hes still got alot to prove, and its not like hes 23. ill be fine with him splitting time with plawecki if hes still sucking in a few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom