2016 Mets | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

Means he has higher value to other teams.. the last thing the Mets need is another all or nothing power hitter. They need to get some guys who can play station to station baseball and manufacture a run or two. I will be pissed if they trade Grandyman instead of Bruce because he at least has some ability to small ball.

I like Grandy too, but he is 36 years old, and he was bad at times last year. Bruce is 29 years old, and is playing for a contract, I think unless you got a lot back, it would be a mistake to trade him.

dont bring back Duda and figure out a way to get Comforto hitting again then you hope bruce or comforto can play some first, move grandy for a Relief pitcher. you have some pieces, use wright at first to get rid of his throwing issues when he isnt at 3rd. Lageres in center most of the time.

Bruce is terrible. He's a terrible OF and all he is going to do is hit home runs. He won't draw walks, hit for average, anything.

dont bring back Duda and figure out a way to get Comforto hitting again then you hope bruce or comforto can play some first, move grandy for a Relief pitcher. you have some pieces, use wright at first to get rid of his throwing issues when he isnt at 3rd. Lageres in center most of the time.

I'm pretty sure Wright is goign to be on the DL all year

I would be OK if they trade two of Bruce & Grandy or even Lagares, depending on the return. It's great that Cespedes was re-signed, but that is just treading water. It doesn't improve the team. The lesson of the last 2 seasons is that our pitching needs bats behind it or its wasted.

The Nats are about to get a whole lot better if they add Andrew McCutcheon in CF. The Mets need answers at 3B and C if they are going to keep pace with the other contenders. If the cost of getting those answers is moving two outfielders who I happen to like, then so be it. The window is open now and might not be open for long.

I would be OK if they trade two of Bruce & Grandy or even Lagares, depending on the return. It's great that Cespedes was re-signed, but that is just treading water. It doesn't improve the team. The lesson of the last 2 seasons is that our pitching needs bats behind it or its wasted.

The Nats are about to get a whole lot better if they add Andrew McCutcheon in CF. The Mets need answers at 3B and C if they are going to keep pace with the other contenders. If the cost of getting those answers is moving two outfielders who I happen to like, then so be it. The window is open now and might not be open for long.

I think they're going to bank on better health next year to carry them. Whether that's right or not, I dunno. I would be surprised if they add any position player other than maybe a catcher?

Other than Teufel, I haven't heard of any staff moves. Are they sticking with Long and the general idea that base-stealing and hit and runs aren't how we want to score?

Because I feel slightly worse about that than I feel about Boeheim's offensive innovations.

Other than Teufel, I haven't heard of any staff moves. Are they sticking with Long and the general idea that base-stealing and hit and runs aren't how we want to score?

Because I feel slightly worse about that than I feel about Boeheim's offensive innovations.

Well they have no one who can really steal bases. Hit and runs? Eh, I dont think you can gain a whole lot there either way.

Reyes is going to be the 3b, we need an upgrade at catcher, Darnaud just isn't good enough, I would have liked Mccann, but the Yankees weren't trading with the Mets, we might have to trade a pitcher to get one.

Reyes is going to be the 3b, we need an upgrade at catcher, Darnaud just isn't good enough, I would have liked Mccann, but the Yankees weren't trading with the Mets, we might have to trade a pitcher to get one.

I think they might run D'Arnaud back another year. It's hard to say if you can rely on him to stay healthy. he was really good before 2016 though. Most catchers are pretty bad too. I'm really not sure how I feel about d'arnaud, to be honest.

I think they might run D'Arnaud back another year. It's hard to say if you can rely on him to stay healthy. he was really good before 2016 though. Most catchers are pretty bad too. I'm really not sure how I feel about d'arnaud, to be honest.

I really hope not, he is awful, they have to upgrade.

I really hope not, he is awful, they have to upgrade.

He was really good before last season. All of their catchers are pretty good at pitch framing, fwiw.

Also it is worth keeping in mind most catchers can't hit. You want to drop around $50 million on Matt Wieters?

He was really good before last season. All of their catchers are pretty good at pitch framing, fwiw.

Also it is worth keeping in mind most catchers can't hit. You want to drop around $50 million on Matt Wieters?

Darnaud isn't good at anything, his defense is awful, I don't want Wieters, I would be looking to swing a trade for someone decent, it doesn't have to be Ramos or Wieters, just someone who is decent defensively, and can hit a little.

man, I hope not. Reyes is not an answer at 3B, he's a stop gap. I'd rather see one of the young Mets get the gig - Flores, Reynolds or TJ Rivera. Or, alternately, move Walker over there and let one of the kids win the 2B job.

They re-signed Rene Rivera today. Good move. He is an excellent defensive catcher. In fact, I'll bet he's the opening day starter -because he's Thor's personal catcher. TDA will be the every day catcher & given every opportunity to find his stroke again next year.

Darnaud isn't good at anything, his defense is awful, I don't want Wieters, I would be looking to swing a trade for someone decent, it doesn't have to be Ramos or Wieters, just someone who is decent defensively, and can hit a little.

D'Arnaud grades out really well with the pitch framing stuff, and he was one of the best hitters as a catcher in 2015. The injury history scares me but I think the best case scenario is to give him another year.

man, I hope not. Reyes is not an answer at 3B, he's a stop gap. I'd rather see one of the young Mets get the gig - Flores, Reynolds or TJ Rivera. Or, alternately, move Walker over there and let one of the kids win the 2B job.

Flores, maybe? Reynolds and Rivera really don't do much for me. I think there's a good chance Reyes is the stop gap until Rosario is (hopefully) ready mid season ish, at which time Cabrera gets moved to third. I also don't think Rivera can play third at all? He's kinda stretched at second as it is.

And just for some context on Ramos, aside from the fact that he's got a torn ACL, in 2015 he hit worse than D'Arnaud did in 2016, and his 2016 was about as good as D'Arnaud was in 2015. They have very similar career numbers.

Flores, maybe? Reynolds and Rivera really don't do much for me. I think there's a good chance Reyes is the stop gap until Rosario is (hopefully) ready mid season ish, at which time Cabrera gets moved to third. I also don't think Rivera can play third at all? He's kinda stretched at second as it is.

Ideally, if he puts it all together, Wilmer would be the 3B of the future, but I kind of like him as a supersub playing 4 or 5 times a week at all 4 infield positions

If we can get to the WS with Murphy's defense at 2B, then we can contend with TJ there. If his bat was not a fluke . . .

Reynolds is probably a career bench guy, but he's a gamer; I like him.

I just want to see an open competition at 3B if no further moves are made.

Ideally, if he puts it all together, Wilmer would be the 3B of the future, but I kind of like him as a supersub playing 4 or 5 times a week at all 4 infield positions

If we can get to the WS with Murphy's defense at 2B, then we can contend with TJ there. If his bat was not a fluke . . .

Reynolds is probably a career bench guy, but he's a gamer; I like him.

I just want to see an open competition at 3B if no further moves are made.

I don't think Rivera's bat is legit; everything about it screams fluke to me. I agree with your idea on Wilmer, I'd prefer him in that role.

Reyes is nothing more than a stop gap, but that is (again, hopefully) all they need. Buy some time until Rosario is ready.

Semi-on topic:

While on the road this morning (here in Los Angeles) I listened to the UCLA/Kentucky game on the radio. Mets radio man Josh Lewin was calling the game for the UCLA radio network. He has an interesting set of gigs going on right now: He calls the Mets, then after baseball season he moves west to call San Diego Chargers football and UCLA football/basketball. Traveling with teams already makes it hard to keep up a home life, I can't imagine trying to do what Lewin is doing.

Semi-on topic:

While on the road this morning (here in Los Angeles) I listened to the UCLA/Kentucky game on the radio. Mets radio man Josh Lewin was calling the game for the UCLA radio network. He has an interesting set of gigs going on right now: He calls the Mets, then after baseball season he moves west to call San Diego Chargers football and UCLA football/basketball. Traveling with teams already makes it hard to keep up a home life, I can't imagine trying to do what Lewin is doing.

As a Mets fan, i dont care for him. During the middle of an inning he'll go off for 10 minutes on a tangent about something inane and non-Mets related like a double Mike Pagliarulo had during spring training with the Yankees in 1987.

As a Mets fan, i dont care for him. During the middle of an inning he'll go off for 10 minutes on a tangent about something inane and non-Mets related like a double Mike Pagliarulo had during spring training with the Yankees in 1987.
I don't like our radio team either, but as a West Coaster it's my primary means of keeping up with the team. I listen to most games on my commute home.

I don't like our radio team either, but as a West Coaster it's my primary means of keeping up with the team. I listen to most games on my commute home.

That's great you can keep connected, but it's also a shame you can't catch the SNY broadcast. Ron and Keith are excellent and Gary doesnt screw it up.

Whoa. I'll admit I watch TV more than radio, but Howie is the best!

I didn't know Lewin does UCLA, knew he did Chargers games. That's crazy.

That's great you can keep connected, but it's also a shame you can't catch the SNY broadcast. Ron and Keith are excellent and Gary doesnt screw it up.
I watch when I can, but timing usually works against me

I don't think Rivera's bat is legit; everything about it screams fluke to me. I agree with your idea on Wilmer, I'd prefer him in that role.

Reyes is nothing more than a stop gap, but that is (again, hopefully) all they need. Buy some time until Rosario is ready.
What about Rivera makes you think he's a fluke? He was one of the few guys to get good at bats against madbum in the wild card. In 33 games last year his minor league numbers seemed to hold up. .800 ops seems like it's nothing to sneeze at. Next year the Mets need to figure out if Reynolds, TJ, Nimmo, Cechinni are anything more that quad A guys.

Anyone else frustrated by the Mets conservative approach? They have basically two above average position players at this point (yo and Cabrera)... they are praying that Walker rccovers and Conforto gets back and track. Other than that there are more question marks than answers. I haven't even mentioned that they have two reliable bull pen arms and one of them will be suspended to
start the year more likely than not. Yet all we here is that the Mets are done with free agency and don't want to do anything but sign a few relievers to one year contracts. Meanwhile the Nats and Cubs are beasts, the Dodgers seem
to have unlimited cash and the Giants and Cards are solid franchises looking to continuously get better. In the NL East the Marlins are already better 1 to 8 than the Mets other than Yo and are looking to add a teir 1 pitcher and closer.

Does Sandy not see all this? He seems content playing in the wild card game again next year. The Mets are going to waste both Yo and all the pitching talent because they refuse to spend to go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom