2016 Yankees | Syracusefan.com

2016 Yankees

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
CfAUCdyVAAE5zET.jpg

It would be great if we posted most of our Yankees stuff in this thread this season.

Now we just need to get Cali to cooperate. :D

Can we get this season started? It's such a bummer to wait six months and then have to wait an extra day.

Last edited:
Can we get this season started? It's such a bummer to wait six months and then have to wait an extra day.

Try being a Mets fan we play opening night, have a day off, play another game, and then have two days off.

I really liked the Castro trade from the Yankees side of things. The biggest piece they gave up was Warren, and they plugged a gaping hole at 2nd base with a 26 year old All Star. They'll be getting out from under some big contracts (CC,Tex, A-Rod, Beltran) in the next year or two as well. I'm not sure they'll make the playoffs this year, but with the farm system starting to show signs of life again, they are setting themselves up to be much stronger in the near future. That is unless they pull a typical Yankee move and sign a past his prime 38 year old OF/DH again. That's always a strong possibility.

I really liked the Castro trade from the Yankees side of things. The biggest piece they gave up was Warren, and they plugged a gaping hole at 2nd base with a 26 year old All Star. They'll be getting out from under some big contracts (CC,Tex, A-Rod, Beltran) in the next year or two as well. I'm not sure they'll make the playoffs this year, but with the farm system starting to show signs of life again, they are setting themselves up to be much stronger in the near future. That is unless they pull a typical Yankee move and sign a past his prime 38 year old OF/DH again. That's always a strong possibility.

I liked that trade as well. Looking forward to those contracts expiring. My expectations for the Yankees this season are going to be somewhat low. I have reservations about their starters and some of the lineup. They have definitely made big strides with their farm system. I don't think they will make some of the signings they have in the past. The Boss is gone and Cashman basically runs the team now. Plus the Jr. Bosses are much more fiscally aware than their father was, or at least care more than their father did.

I liked that trade as well. Looking forward to those contracts expiring. My expectations for the Yankees this season are going to be somewhat low. I have reservations about their starters and some of the lineup. They have definitely made big strides with their farm system. I don't think they will make some of the signings they have in the past. The Boss is gone and Cashman basically runs the team now. Plus the Jr. Bosses are much more fiscally aware than their father was, or at least care more than their father did.

With guys like Sanchez, Judge and Bird a year or so away, you need to get some starting pitching to go with it. Tanaka is solid if/when he's healthy. Severino should be solid. I'm not sure about Pineda or Eovaldi, so I hope there are some arms coming up. Overall though, there's reason for optimism.

I generally agree with that. It feels like this team will have to stay very healthy in the rotation and everyday lineup to really achieve. Not confident that will happen, given the injury history and age on some of these guys. It will be a lot like watching JB play 6 or 7 guys and hoping nobody gets hurt.

With guys like Sanchez, Judge and Bird a year or so away, you need to get some starting pitching to go with it. Tanaka is solid if/when he's healthy. Severino should be solid. I'm not sure about Pineda or Eovaldi, so I hope there are some arms coming up. Overall though, there's reason for optimism.

Agreed...not even sure if the Yankees have a true ace. Tanaka would be the closest, but there are enough teams out there that he would not be the ace if on that team...he has 100% proved yes that he is an ace...he has the tools and has shown at time that he can be...but not consistent enough.

I generally agree with that. It feels like this team will have to stay very healthy in the rotation and everyday lineup to really achieve. Not confident that will happen, given the injury history and age on some of these guys. It will be a lot like watching JB play 6 or 7 guys and hoping nobody gets hurt.

Unfortunately the Yankees have had this issue for a while. It has been a while since I haven't been too worried about injuries.

All I know is, they won't go 162-0 or 0-162. Let's hope they can surprise folks since the "everyone's" expectations of their doing well are somewhere between "low" and "no".

Yankees -16 Houston - 6

Well it seems the Yankees old timers still have some pop in their bats. Recap and box score: http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=360406110

Pineda ends up with a 10.80 ERA and the win. Castro a homerun and 5 RBIs, Tex a homer and 4 RBIs. Nova with 4scoreless innings in relief for the save. McHugh, Houston pitcher, last only 0.1 inning and leaves with a 135.00 ERA...ouch!!

Yankees -16 Houston - 6

Well it seems the Yankees old timers still have some pop in their bats. Recap and box score: http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=360406110

Pineda ends up with a 10.80 ERA and the win. Castro a homerun and 5 RBIs, Tex a homer and 4 RBIs. Nova with 4scoreless innings in relief for the save. McHugh, Houston pitcher, last only 0.1 inning and leaves with a 135.00 ERA...ouch!!
Save some of those runs.

Win today and we're on pace for 108 wins, baby! Lose and Cali will be overhauling the roster.

Save some of those runs.

Win today and we're on pace for 108 wins, baby! Lose and Cali will be overhauling the roster.
Cali already traded Pineda last night night to make room for Kaprielian.;)
Wait a minute! You mean CaliCuse isn't just an alias Brian Cashman uses to post trial balloons of potential roster moves and trades on the board?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

would love to take the rubber match here. if evoldi doesn't go deep, start up the Scranton shuttle.

would love to take the rubber match here. if evoldi doesn't go deep, start up the Scranton shuttle.
So far is a slugfest. Tex. just hit a three run shot 8-5 Yanks

John Sterling is not off to a good start this season. I will confess that I have disliked him since he started doing games for the Yankees in 1989, but I have always felt that he is a competent announcer (even with all of his premature home run calls). For the most part, he has made me feel like I know what is happening on the field. As a failed former radio guy, I envy his talents and his amazing set of pipes.

His play-by-play abilities have declined gradually in recent years and now, this season he is a mess. I'm not sure if it is due to off-season rust, his eye sight, or his brain working more slowly, but he is making constant mistakes. He is not a professional level play-by-play guy right now. If he continues at this rate, I think CBS Radio/Yankees will have to make a change before the end of the season.

I don't post this to pile on the guy. I take no pleasure in watching old age rob someone of his or her abilities.

Last edited:
John Sterling is not off to a good start this season. I will confess that I have disliked him since he started doing games for the Yankees in 1989, but I have always felt that he is a competent announcer (even with all of his premature home run calls). For the most part, he has made me feel like I know what is happening on the field. As a failed former radio guy, I envy his talents and his amazing set of pipes.

His play-by-play abilities have declined gradually in recent years and now, this season he is a mess. I'm not sure if it is due to off-season rust, his eye sight, or his brain working more slowly, but he is making constant mistakes. He is not a professional level play-by-play guy right now. If he continues at this rate, I think CBS Radio/Yankees will have to make a change before the end of the season.

I don't post this to pile on the guy. I take no pleasure in watching old age rob someeone of his or her abilities.
wow, I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

I heard a couple of exhibition games where he seemed to miss what was going on, but I kind of dismissed it because I can understand why hes not paying attention.

but yesterdays game started at 420ish, im going to guess I was in the car from 4:45-5:45 (to go 20 miles too. who doesn't love NYC-NJ traffic!!!) and more than 2x, once the ball was hit, he had no freakin clue where it was or what was going on. and sadly neither did Suzyn. they also blew the call on Castro trying to leg out a double and just had to go to commercial.

its one thing to go...'it is high, it is far...its...caught at the track. how do you like that?' but its a problem when all hes got is..'McCann puts the ball in play'...and then silence as he tries to find it.

lets say we had runners on 1st & 2nd (happened a lot this year, thankfully) his calls after stating 'lined into right, its in there' were then met with more silence. instead of saying '1 run is in, and ... is now at 3rd after the single by ...'

making fun of John & Suzyn because of their personalities and propensity to make fools of themselves is one thing, but if we have to go all summer with them botching the game, well that's gonna be a problem.

I listen a lot...all summer at the pool and beach, at least 2 or 3 nights a week on my deck listening till about 9, damn...this is not good. hope he rounds into form soon.

Somebody get Sour Shoes (Mike from Mahopec) ready to step in for John and/or Suzyn at a moment's notice. He's got both of their voices down perfectly.

Here's a little taste from a few years back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom