2017 Defensive Ends | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Defensive Ends

I think it's likely that the the DE position will be better than last year, but not good enough to be a consistent strength. Same goes for our secondary.

We were so bad defensively this is all a net positive. Our O will jump up nationally again, so if our D can just get respectable...

Agree. Although I think (repeat, think) the secondary can make the bigger leap if everyone stays healthy.

DE is growing pains, and it should eventually pay off. Secondary is more of an overhaul (if you include Cordy who basically missed the whole season). Secondary size alone should help. Familiarity with the system will be a concern given all the new faces.

It seems impossible that our D won't show some significant improvements starting game 1. How much, who knows. Offense will regress a bit early on. There's no Easy button to push for replacing AET or making the running game work. But it will get worked out as the season progresses.

It's a long term stock. I advise to buy it.

Last edited:
Agree. Although I think (repeat, think) the secondary can make the bigger leap if everyone stays healthy.

DE is growing pains, and it should eventually pay off. Secondary is more of an overhaul (if you include Cordy who basically missed the whole season). Secondary size alone should help. Familiarity with the system will be a concern given all the new faces.

It seems impossible that our D won't show some significant improvements starting game 1. How much, who knows. Offense will regress a bit early on. There's no Easy button to push for replacing AET or making the running game work. But it will get worked out as the season progresses.

It's a long term stock. I advise to buy it.
I don't think AET was all that special.

I more than think that between Custis, Ishmael and Phillips...the WRs wont miss a beat and we will see even better #s this year.

I more than think that between Custis, Ishmael and Phillips...the WRs wont miss a beat and we will see even better #s this year.

The thing that worries me is that AET's performance made me realize Ishmael might not be all that special. Hope I'm wrong.

I think Butler is the one to watch. Looked so athletic and natural in all the preseason videos last year.

I think the group I am least excited about heading into the season is our returning group of defensive ends:

Kendall Coleman
Josh Black
Jake Picard
Jaquan Nelson (who may not even play)

But what I think I AM excited about is our incoming group of defensive ends:

Josh Allen
Brandon Berry
Justin Ellis
Jonathon Kingsley
Zach Morton

I think the staff has done a good job of identifying a weakness and creating competition for the fall

Who does everyone think will be the top 3 DEs at the end of summer?

I hope Coleman steps up a little more because he might be able to hold onto his spot. I'm not counting on Nelson to even be on the team (hope I'm wrong), and I have a good feeling about Brandon Berry. My #3 might be Black or Allen. And I say that knowing that Allen is coming in with some cred.

Based on what I've heard, Coleman and Black are it right now. Not sure who will get the #2 spots.

Based on what I've heard, Coleman and Black are it right now. Not sure who will get the #2 spots.
"Are it" as in "They're the clear starters right now" or "Are it" as in "They're the only 2 decent ends we have"?

I think the system will always make WR's look better than they actually are. What AET did last years was exceptional and not taking anything away from the season he had but again he wasn't drafted, so I am optimistic that a lot had to do with the system but AET did make a lot of plays. Dino has a pretty good track record here, WR spot is least of my concerns. RB and O Line? sure

When you have a big tall wide receiver with long arms who can just go up and get the ball over all the midget DBs then he looks great. AET won a lot of jump balls.

The offense makes it nearly impossible to double cover these guys with safeties. And man if they can ever run the ball between the tackles it’s going to be really hard to defend.

Two more big fast outside WR’s coming in August. Would not be surprised to see one or both hit the field.

I think the system will always make WR's look better than they actually are. What AET did last years was exceptional and not taking anything away from the season he had but again he wasn't drafted, so I am optimistic that a lot had to do with the system but AET did make a lot of plays. Dino has a pretty good track record here, WR spot is least of my concerns. RB and O Line? sure
When you have a big tall wide receiver with long arms who can just go up and get the ball over all the midget DBs then he looks great. AET won a lot of jump balls.

The offense makes it nearly impossible to double cover these guys with safeties. And man if they can ever run the ball between the tackles it’s going to be really hard to defend.

Two more big fast outside WR’s coming in August. Would not be surprised to see one or both hit the field.
these are both my thoughts on Dino's O, its potential and the WRs.

"Are it" as in "They're the clear starters right now" or "Are it" as in "They're the only 2 decent ends we have"?
As in the starting DE jobs are theirs to lose. Which, I suppose, is the same as saying that, for right now, they're the clear starters. Let's see what shakes out at the end of summer camp.

*saves for later*

*saves for later*
im guessing so you can send me a congratulatory note or maybe a gift card for being so prophetic??

or are you rooting against that??

I fear the latter...

im guessing so you can send me a congratulatory note or maybe a gift card for being so prophetic??

or are you rooting against that??

I fear the latter...

Haha never about negativity. I hope those 3 all go for over 1,000 yards

I agree that the offense will look better and perform better. If the OL had been better, there would have been a running game and that alone will improve the passing game. With the OL getting better, more stable, deeper and experienced, we should see a better running game. Throw in the freshman RB and the running game may be enough to improve the passing game. I expect improvement in the passing game regardless because we now have more weapons and more prototypical to HCBD's design receivers.

I'm with Chip, buy and hold Syracuse Orange stock.