2017 Recruiting a Year I'd like to forget | Syracusefan.com

2017 Recruiting a Year I'd like to forget

It's one thing to say we didn't get the player we wanted but a totally foolish thing to say it was an awful year. Are these guys top 10, no, but they are quality players.

How did the year of Patterson, Johnson, and Kris Joseph go? We have another year of recruiting like that and it will set us back 5 years. I want to compete with North Carolina, and Kentucky and we shouldn't be beaten out by NC State and GTech for recruits.

It's one thing to say we didn't get the player we wanted but a totally foolish thing to say it was an awful year. Are these guys top 10, no, but they are quality players.

It was a bad year, you might think we got some quality players, that remains to be seen, we needed more with everything that we have lost the past two years.

Have to love when the 2017 recruiting class has never dribbled a basketball on the carrier dome floor and they are already one of the worst classes ever!

I hope something magical happens and these three (or more) lead us to a national championship and you aren't allowed to celebrate. That'd be hilarious

Let's put it out there...

We offered all of these guys:

Quade Green -Kentucky
Hamidou Diallo -Kentucky/NBA
Nick Richards - Kentucky
Brandon Randolph - Arizona
Lonnie Walker - Miami
Mo Bamba - uncommitted but no signs of landing him
Ethan Thompson- Oregon St
Billy Preston - Kansas
Damir Cosbey Roundtree - Nova
Eric Ayala - not looking good
Jordan Tucker - not looking good
Oshae Brissett - Syracuse 3 star
Bourama Sidibe - Syracuse 3 star
H. Washington- Syracuse 3 star
Sidney Wilson - great looking player who might be being recruited but is redundant with Brissett and Moyer
(I'd still take him)

There are countless other guys who wanted offers from us that signed elsewhere because we put all our eggs in one basket.

Many of these kids above are NYers. We have finished in the middle of the pack in the ACC for a few years now. 2017's recruiting class is near the bottom of the ACC, as it stands now.

We are coming off an NIT season. JB is 72. We have recruiting sanctions. We are being negatively recruited against.

And now we are excited about getting a guy only ECU, Seton Hall and Iona wants? The title of this thread (as of this writing) is very accurate.

Last edited:
Have to love when the 2017 recruiting class has never dribbled a basketball on the carrier dome floor and they are already one of the worst classes ever!

I hope something magical happens and these three (or more) lead us to a national championship and you aren't allowed to celebrate. That'd be hilarious
And awesome!

Many here seem to equate a negative view of this recruiting class as being an indication of lack of loyalty or not being a fan... nothing could be further than the truth.

I care very much about this team, it's past, present and future. I wish I shared the optimism that many of you have. I will GLADLY eat crow if we even make another elite eight in the next 3 years. Will you all, if we have another return trip to the NIT?

Let's put it out there...

We offered all of these guys:

Quade Green -Kentucky
Hamidou Diallo -Kentucky/NBA
Nick Richards - Kentucky
Brandon Randolph - Arizona
Lonnie Walker - Miami
Mo Bamba - uncommitted but no signs of landing him
Ethan Thompson- Oregon St
Billy Preston - Kansas
Damir Cosbey Roundtree - Nova
Eric Ayala - not looking good
Jordan Tucker - not looking good
O'Shea Brissett - Syracuse 3 star
Bourama Sidibe - Syracuse 3 star
H. Washington- Syracuse 3 star
Sidney Wilson - great looking player who might reclassify but is redundant with Brissett and Moyer

There are countless other guys who wanted offers from us that signed elsewhere because we put all our eggs in one basket.

Many of these kids above are NYers. We have finished in the middle of the pack in the ACC for a few years now. 2017's recruiting class is near the bottom of the ACC, as it stands now.

We are coming off an NIT season. JB is 72. We have recruiting sanctions. We are being negatively recruited against.

And now we are excited about getting a guy only ECU, Seton Hall and Iona wants? The title of this thread is very accurate.

Agree on all of those, well we can thank our pg for screwing us on one of those guys, I wouldn't say Tucker isn't looking good, still think its a dead toss up.

Many here seem to equate a negative view of this recruiting class as being an indication of lack of loyalty or not being a fan... nothing could be further than the truth.

I care very much about this team, it's past, present and future. I wish I shared the optimism that many of you have. I will GLADLY eat crow if we even make another elite eight in the next 3 years. Will you all, if we have another return trip to the NIT?

The two having nothing to do with each other, anyone who isn't worried about the state of the program is either really delusional, or isn't paying attention, I can guarantee you Jb right now is very concerned about his roster going into the season.

The two having nothing to do with each other, anyone who isn't worried about the state of the program is either really delusional, or isn't paying attention, I can guarantee you Jb right now is very concerned about his roster going into the season.

I understand wanting to be optimistic and those that say trust the staff...

But things have changed. JB's age IS whether we want to acknowledge it or not, being used against us. We don't have the same recruiting staff. The game has evolved. Kids view the 2-3 zone (for right or wrong) to be a hindrance to their development and chances of making the NBA.

It's hard to be a fan and see this while others pretend it's not going on. I hear you.

How did the year of Patterson, Johnson, and Kris Joseph go? We have another year of recruiting like that and it will set us back 5 years. I want to compete with North Carolina, and Kentucky and we shouldn't be beaten out by NC State and GTech for recruits.

That never happened. Kris Joseph was years before those guys. If you mean Kaleb Joseph, that was a different class too. He came in with McCullough. Tyler Roberson was the other recruit with Johnson and Patterson. Our sanctions screwed that class up, because Johnson would've become a fine player here if he could've stayed.

This won't be one of our higher ranked classes, but I don't feel like it's like the Greg Davis/James Thues class either.

That never happened. Kris Joseph was years before those guys. If you mean Kaleb Joseph, that was a different class too. He came in with McCullough. Tyler Roberson was the other recruit with Johnson and Patterson. Our sanctions screwed that class up, because Johnson would've become a fine player here if he could've stayed.

This won't be one of our higher ranked classes, but I don't feel like it's like the Greg Davis/James Thues class either.

Ennis was also with that Patterson class.

Would could have kept BJ Johnson, we chose to show him the door, what did we do with the scholarship? We gave it to a guy who didn't play the next year and has looked like a stiff. That's poor scouting on the staff in both regards and could have been avoided.

Are the ratings a little bit of a crapshoot, sure. Are they a perfect judge of talent? No. But do they mean something? ABSOLUTELY. There is a reason why UNC was in two straight finals, there's a reason UK, Duke, and Kansas are always in a mix. There's a reason why our best regular season team ever was as good as it was, they get legit recruits.

We're not Butler, we're not Creighton, we're not Gonzaga, we haven't had a pipeline of never ended 4 year players that grow within a system. We get one or two good guys and fill very mediocre players around them the past few years and it shows. The main guys leave and the supporting cast can't support anything and that's why the trend is going downwards.

Call me whatever you like, but we lost White, Gillon, Lydon, Roberson and Coleman. Two of the guys didn't play much but they played a bit.

Tell me how the roster constructed now matches a guy who broke the record for threes in a season by a SU player, replace Lydon who people are down on for some reason but put up an excellent season, Gillon is replaceable but I don't think Frank holds his jock strap.

We had a solid team when we lost to Dayton in the tourney a few years back, that team hit I think 1 shot outside of the paint that game, outside of Battle and maybe Brissett I don't know if we have anybody on the roster that is capable of having a consistent jumper. Factor in that we again have a many brand new guys getting minutes in a complex defense. This could be a awful year. I'd like to think positive but with what has been assembled I just don't see it at all.

Don't sleep on Brissett. That's all I'm going to say.

I'm not going to count on him until we see something. I wont sleep on him but I'm not going to be upset at a 3 star freshman for not playing like a star.

I'm not going to count on him until we see something. I wont sleep on him but I'm not going to be upset at a 3 star freshman for not playing like a star.
I don't think there's a person on this forum that expects any of our incoming freshman to be stars their first or second years.

I don't think there's a person on this forum that expects any of our incoming freshman to be stars their first or second years.

Your comment is very misleading then. If he comes in and plays solid ball I don't think anybody will be shocked, I don't get the "don't sleep on him" comment. If we don't get Tucker or another SF then Brissett is going to play a ton of minutes and by default get a chance so I don't think it would be shocking for him to average double digits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom