2017 Recruiting a Year I'd like to forget | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Recruiting a Year I'd like to forget

First of all, you don't need to copy and paste the same argument over and over again. We all read it the first time. If you don't have a counter argument, it's not necessary to repeat yourself.

Second, in a way you are cherry picking, I guess because you don't want to update your chart. Bottom line, the top three recruiting sites say OB is a 4-star prospect. I don't know anyone who uses the composite rankings on 24/7 as the gospel. Some of the rankings they include are probably outdated, if not uninformed. (Remember, we're talking about a Canadian player here.) Usually the ESPN rankings are cited by other publications. He's clearly a 4-star according to them.

I put the chart in both threads because it's pertinent to both. Some people might not read a thread entitled Class of 2017 one to forget (or whatever it is) because it's negative, but might want to read the the 2017-2018 season prediction poll thread. Thanks for your opinion. Have a super weekend.

I put the chart in both threads because it's pertinent to both. Some people might not read a thread entitled Class of 2017 one to forget (or whatever it is) because it's negative, but might want to read the the 2017-2018 season prediction poll thread. Thanks for your opinion. Have a super weekend.
I'm talking about this thread and this thread only. You had back-to-back posts that were practically identical.

I've been a little bit surprised at the absolute antipathy and hostility towards Howard on this board. While I get some of it and I have some doubts as well, how can you ignore what Boeheim says about Howard, both on camera and off? (do we not trust his opinion and player analysis anymore?)

1.) When JB decided to abandon the PG platoon system and go with Gillon full time, he said Gillon was playing "a little better--"just a little better" than Howard at the time. He went with one guy because he thought we needed consistency at the PG spot. He obviously chose Gillon because he was shooting the ball better from 3 and was a near 90 percent free throw shooter and was getting into the lane a little better. (He acknowledged that Frank was prob the better defender.) But he didn't see a HUGE difference between them. Now Howard will be a junior with a year of off season work and experience. How can we not expect improvement?

2.) In February when Battle was sick and Howard got more playing time and looked decent, several announcers mentioned during the broadcasts how JB told them Howard will be fine next year. He's only a sophomore and these things take time, he said. (I always listen to the announcers because they often share stuff JB says to them, and he's sometimes more honest and open when he's not at a podium).

3.) In JB's end of season presser, he went to great lengths to defend Frank and admonished everyone for not having faith that players can improve. He cited Scoop as an example of a player who everyone had the pitchforks out for before he had a great sophomore-senior run where he improved every year. He seems to think Howard can make similar leaps.

4.) In November and December, Jay Bilas commented several times in games how Howard was playing very well against the lesser teams on the schedule and struggling against better competition. He argued that it's just a matter of adjusting to the competition, and he seemed to believe Howard has the athletic ability and skills to be able to adjust. It's a mental thing and a lack of experience. Hopefully another year of off season work and playing with the other guys and knowing that he's our PG will help his confidence. There's something to be said for knowing a team needs you and you have to produce. It can lead to a player stepping up and Improving.

Look, would I like to have a backup plan like Ayala or a 5th year grad transfer in case Howard proves to be unable to meet the challenge? Yes. But unless something happens and we sign a 5th year, JB seems comfortable with Howard running the show next year. Of course you can express concerns or acknowledge it's an unknown, but we should try to get behind it and support Howard.
And you know some of these same critics were the ones proclaiming he'd be a stud after his freshman year.

I'm talking about this thread and this thread only. You had back-to-back posts that were practically identical.

I think it was removed, but it was done to respond to another poster who clearly missed my explanation the first time. I'm sorry it bothered you so much. :)

And you know some of these same critics were the ones proclaiming he'd be a stud after his freshman year.

I have said on multiple occasions that I too think he will be great, and may indeed play like a top 50 player. I've said that in many threads. I'm sorry you missed it.

I think it was removed, but it was done to respond to another poster who clearly missed my explanation the first time. I'm sorry it bothered you so much. :)
It's still there and since I was the only one who posted in between, you must be talking about me. I can assure you I got it. Even if I didn't, that's on me. If someone else didn't get it, that's on them. Your posts are straight-forward and not difficult to understand.

I have said on multiple occasions that I too think he will be great, and may indeed play like a top 50 player. I've said that in many threads. I'm sorry you missed it.
I wasn't replying to you.

It's still there and since I was the only one who posted in between, you must be talking about me. I can assure you I got it. Even if I didn't, that's on me. If someone else didn't get it, that's on them. Your posts are straight-forward and not difficult to understand.

If we are talking about the same posts:

The first post talks about OB not being listed as a 4 star on 2 4 7 "class" rankings, and how if it's speculation to assume recruits are not up to our previous standards, then it is also speculation to assume they will exceed rankings.

The second one was an explanation of why he is listed as 4 star by 2 4 7, but not on their class rankings due to it being a composite ranking with averages from many sites. I included that to answer the discrepancy for anyone who may have been curious. I'm sorry you were bothered by it.

EDIT: I see the post you're talking about. I'm sorry it bothered you. I think I was trying to say that I could likely post a different site with much the same outcome, if it seemed redundant, my bad. I've had a few posts removed and honestly thought that was one of them.

Last edited:
If we are talking about the same posts:

The first post talks about OB not being listed as a 4 star on 2 4 7 "class" rankings, and how if it's speculation to assume recruits are not up to our previous standards, then it is also speculation to assume they will exceed rankings.

The second one was an explanation of why he is listed as 4 star by 2 4 7, but not on their class rankings due to it being a composite ranking with averages from many sites. I included that to answer the discrepancy for anyone who may have been curious. I'm sorry you were bothered by it.

EDIT: I see the post you're talking about. I'm sorry it bothered you. I think I was trying to say that I could likely post a different site with much the same outcome, if it seemed redundant, my bad. I've had a few posts removed and honestly thought that was one of them.
No problem. And I was only making a suggestion. Ultimately, you're going to do whatever you want and that doesn't bother me at all. You know how people get about board clutter, though.

How can you say he is more advanced than Moyer when you haven't seen Moyer play in a year. Plus, Moyer has the advantage of becoming familiar with the zone, no small item in earning playing time from JB.
That's a fair question. I was taking his game when I last saw him and quessing on things he could improve on and projecting him out. I like Moyer and think he will be a good player for us. I just like Brissett is better.

Will be interesting to see if anything favorable happens this weekend, because that will obviously change the dynamic about how the class of 2017 is perceived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom