2018 Baseball Hall of Fame | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Baseball Hall of Fame

Right. Imagine if Griffey played CF for the Yankees in the mid-late 90s, how he would be viewed in these discussions?
Eh, some hypotheticals are interesting (Knicks Mussina one about how the strike affects perception of his career for example), but the "what if" stuff about other teams or opportunities are a dead end to me.

You have to evaluate what happened. Not imagine different results.

I mean, it Griffey Jr. is on the Yankees during their run of dominance I guess he's in the HOF.

It's my understanding some writers will try to extend the window on certain players by flipping them what are essentially sympathy votes. Based of course on the logic that a Griffey or a Rivera will be a first ballot anyway, so "they don't need my vote?" Do I have that right?

I don't know whether Mussina "deserves" to go in based on his numbers, but I have no problems with it if he does. He was not only an outstanding pitcher, but a tough competitor and as classy as any player ever was. My favorite memory of Mussina (IIRC) is a game played in Boston when Pedro (the FAH) Martinez successively plunked Soriano and Jeter, the first two Yankee batters, putting Jeter out for several weeks with a broken wrist, and Martinez stood on the mound and grinned. Mussina declined to retaliate, knowing he'd most likely get tossed (if not start a war in which several players would have likely gotten injured) and the Yankees needed the win. I also seem to recall something like that he threw a one hitter for 8 innings, and despite that the Yanks lost the game at the end, he kept them in it by pitching the way he knew.

Last edited:
I know he could really hit, but never saw Jeff Kent as a hall of famer. He was terrible defensively.

Anyone who disliked Bonds as much as Kent is at least okay by me. ;)

Scott Rolen was a sneaky great player. Like, really great.
Yes, he deserves serious consideration and played a position that is relatively underrepresented in the HoF.

maybe 1 of you fancy guys can post the ballot and let’s keep HOF discussion out of the Hot Stove thread.

I’ve never, ever heard Thome and steroids, but it doesn’t matter...Piazza is in so the steroid door is open.

Let’s see who you’d vote for and who gets in this year.

Vote up to 10.

Vlad
Hoffman
Chipper
Thome
Bonds
Clemens
Mussina
Kent
Vizquel

And in a tough battle for my 10th...Schilling over Sheffield and McGriff.

I think the top 4 get in.

Thurman.
Revisiting Thurman Munson's Hall of Fame case 37 years after his death

Trevor Hoffman doesn't make my top 10 list. He never saved an important game. He was awful in the post-season. He's got longevity, and that's it. He doesn't have one signature moment in his entire career.

Trevor Hoffman doesn't make my top 10 list. He never saved an important game. He was awful in the post-season. He's got longevity, and that's it. He doesn't have one signature moment in his entire career.

Not saying he makes my list, but he has a 3.46 ERA in the playoffs.

Wild guess, you're a Yankee fan?

He voted for just 2 candidates Omar Vizquel and Jim Thome.
Said he can’t determine who used steroids and didn’t.
Said he couldn’t not vote for Omar or Thome though because of their impact on the mid 1990s Indians.

Total loser who should lose his vote.
Yup. It's all dumb. Dumbness. All around.

He voted for just 2 candidates Omar Vizquel and Jim Thome.
Said he can’t determine who used steroids and didn’t.
Said he couldn’t not vote for Omar or Thome though because of their impact on the mid 1990s Indians.

Total loser who should lose his vote.

Yup that's a real bad vote.

Not saying he makes my list, but he has a 3.46 ERA in the playoffs.

Wild guess, you're a Yankee fan?

Nope. Phillies. And I was on my honeymoon outside the country for the '98 series. Didn't see it.

Nope. Phillies. And I was on my honeymoon outside the country for the '98 series. Didn't see it.

Ok fair enough, that was like the only bad playoff game he ever had.

Like I said, I doubt he'd get my vote right now anyway.

Ok fair enough, that was like the only bad playoff game he ever had.

Like I said, I doubt he'd get my vote right now anyway.

If I recall rightly, he also blew a save on a 163rd game of the year. A one game play off at the close of the season. Don't know the year.

If I recall rightly, he also blew a save on a 163rd game of the year. A one game play off at the close of the season. Don't know the year.
2007 1 game playoff at Colorado.

Hoffman is like Craig Biggio to me.
He was good but his longevity allowed him to pile up stats.
His stuff wouldn’t have allowed his extended dominance if he played in the AL East. That NL West was all pitchers parks and he was really bad at the end with Milwaukee.

Hoffman will get in but he isn’t close to a sure fire guy.

If Ozzie Smith got in, Vizquel deserves to be, he was that good defensively.

Ozzie is probably the greatest defensive SS of all time and was a better hitter than Vizquel. I dunno, Omar is a very tough sell for me.

2007 1 game playoff at Colorado.

Hoffman is like Craig Biggio to me.
He was good but his longevity allowed him to pile up stats.
His stuff wouldn’t have allowed his extended dominance if he played in the AL East. That NL West was all pitchers parks and he was really bad at the end with Milwaukee.

Hoffman will get in but he isn’t close to a sure fire guy.

Hoffman was helped by the park, and if you look at his season stats, the guy struggled to crack 60 IP for like the back half of his career.

I'll disagree on Biggio; he was an elite player for a while. A lot of the stuff he did was unappreciated (random thing, but in 1997 he reached base via HBP 34 times and grounded in 0, yes, 0 double plays. That stuff adds up) but the guy was a 5-7 win player for close to a decade.

The Baseball HOF isn't worth discussing until they admit Clemens, Bonds and Rose. It's a god damn museum not a social club. Clemens and Bonds were involved in some of the greatest moments in baseball in the 90s and 00s, to say nothing of maybe the second greatest controversy (same with Rose for his era). Let them in, document the history for all to see. When you really have no idea how prevalent the use of PEDs was, I don't get how you take a stance on a couple of guys who were so overwhelmingly dominant.

And ditch the veterans committee. Was it the Tigers turn to have their unrecognized veterans recognized? Next year the Twins and we'll get Frank Viola, Gary Gaetti and Kent Hrbek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom