2018 Baseball Hall of Fame | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Baseball Hall of Fame

Hoffman barely missed last year and should get in on the 3rd try this year. He's the guy that Mo passed for that all times saves lead. I'm wondering if there are enough writers out there that will not vote Rivera in year one to make some sort of statement about relief pitchers
Hoffman’s last year he had a 5.87 ERA for Milwaukee.
Rivera’s last year he had a 2.11 ERA.

Rivera was dominant till the end.
Hoffman is a HOFer but he shouldn’t be an automatic guy thus his wait.
Rivera is a first ballot guy.

Hoffman’s last year he had a 5.87 ERA for Milwaukee.
Rivera’s last year he had a 2.11 ERA.

Rivera was dominant till the end.
Hoffman is a HOFer but he shouldn’t be an automatic guy thus his wait.
Rivera is a first ballot guy.

I get what you're saying, but a lot of guys aren't great their last year. Willie Mays is like maybe the best baseball player ever.

That said, I would be stunned if Rivera doesn't sail in his first year with at least 90% of the vote. Though I suppose it depends a little on how cluttered the ballot is.

I get what you're saying, but a lot of guys aren't great their last year. Willie Mays is like maybe the best baseball player ever.

That said, I would be stunned if Rivera doesn't sail in his first year with at least 90% of the vote. Though I suppose it depends a little on how cluttered the ballot is.

This is coming from as anti a Yankee guy as you can be, but I just don't see how anyone cannot vote Rivera first ballot. The guy was the best closer in the game for more than 15 years, which is pretty amazing considering how many closers are great for a few years and then just can't get it done anymore. 2.21 ERA and 1.00 WHIP are just insane considering how easy it is to get those stats out of whack in the closer role.

"Rolen won eight Gold Glove Awards -- only Brooks Robinson and Mike Schmidt won more ... "

And Vizquel won 11. Clearly when talking about Rolen he means just National League, which is a weird distinction. Edit - Whoops - just realized Buster was talking about at his position... my bad.

Omar was the best SS I ever saw.

And Vizquel won 11. Clearly when talking about Rolen he means just National League, which is a weird distinction.

I’d say he means 3rd base.

Jim Kaat Won 16.

And Vizquel won 11. Clearly when talking about Rolen he means just National League, which is a weird distinction.

Agree on Vizquel, and also he and Alomar were the best keystone combo ever. Even a tich better than Trammell and Whitaker.

This is coming from as anti a Yankee guy as you can be, but I just don't see how anyone cannot vote Rivera first ballot. The guy was the best closer in the game for more than 15 years, which is pretty amazing considering how many closers are great for a few years and then just can't get it done anymore. 2.21 ERA and 1.00 WHIP are just insane considering how easy it is to get those stats out of whack in the closer role.

And then add in that he only had ONE PITCH. Batters KNEW what was coming and they just couldn't hit it.

Maybe if he had more than one pitch... Loser...

Thing about Rivera is I bet he could come out retirement now and post under 4 ERA next year over 50-60 innings.
The cutter just destroyed left handed hitters.
The only reason Boston had success against him was they saw the pitch so many times between 2003-2004 that they finally realized their lefties had to back off the plate to Hit the pitch.
Vartiek and Bill Mueller said that was their adjustment and still they just did enough damage to get a couple of wins.
I just looked up Rivera’s HRs given up it’s insane.

I can’t believe the guy who hit the last Hr off him was.
Guy flash in the pan for the Red Sox.

Agree on Vizquel, and also he and Alomar were the best keystone combo ever. Even a tich better than Trammell and Whitaker.

Best keystone combo of all time is probably just Mazeroski and anyone at SS.

I suppose it's possible there could be a ballot so loaded you could justify not voting Rivera first ballot, but I find it pretty hard to believe. I also think he has the narrative, along with the numbers, that will put him in.

I just can't see Vizquel as a HOF.

Vizquel nice player but not a HOFer for me.
He was Rey Ordonez with a decent bat.
Vizquel never scared me when the Sox-Indians playoff took place.
Kenny Lofton is off the ballot.
Vizquel stayed around forever but he wasn’t a dominant player.

Maybe if he had more than one pitch... Loser...
Bill Mueller is like the only guy I can remember owning Rivera and I felt like could see him well.
5 for 11 not including the post season.

Vizquel nice player but not a HOFer for me.
He was Rey Ordonez with a decent bat.
Vizquel never scared me when the Sox-Indians playoff took place.
Kenny Lofton is off the ballot.
Vizquel stayed around forever but he wasn’t a dominant player.

Like I said, best SS in the field I ever saw. That has to count for something.

"Among shortstops, his .985 fielding percentage is tied for highest all-time, he is the all-time leader in games played, and the all-time leader in double plays turned. Vizquel is the shortstop with the third-most hits all time, behind Derek Jeter and Honus Wagner. Vizquel is the sacrifice hit leader of the live-ball era."

And he was even more dominant in the post season... 141 IP, 0.70 ERA, 0.759 WHIP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom