2018 Defending WS champion 2019 Red Sox season thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Defending WS champion 2019 Red Sox season thread

I don't need to live in New England to know the Red Sox. I've followed them very closely for 40+ years. Have all the same access to them that somebody who lives in Boston has. Probably seen at least 100+ games in person either at Fenway or on the road. Btw I thought u said u lived down south somewhere.

I can't get too worked up about Bobby V. He was a dumpster fire and one of the worst hires in MLB history.

For a long stretch DP was the best second baseman in MLB. To earn that kind of praise from Rivera speaks volumes. Personally I think you're worked up over little to nothing but that's your deal.
You are in the minority on Pedroia.
He is unpopular for his behavior these past years and he and the team know it.

You are in the minority on Pedroia.
He is unpopular for his behavior these past years and he and the team know it.

You are absolutely in the minority on Bobby V. You've got to be one of the only people I've ever encountered that view him as a sympathetic figure. He's a first class ay-hole. I know tons of Sox fans and none of them share your views on Pedroia.

You are absolutely in the minority on Bobby V. You've got to be one of the only people I've ever encountered that view him as a sympathetic figure. He's a first class ay-hole. I know tons of Sox fans and none of them share your views on Pedroia.
I said Bobby V was a POS. All I said was Pedroia was wrong for what he did towards him and Pedroia apologized for it.
You don’t like my opinions fine.

Pedroia is not popular after what he did with Machado and Barnes 2 years ago.

Last edited:

It’s not me. It’s them. Pedroia lost a good amount of fans after that.

It’s not me. It’s them. Pedroia lost a good amount of fans after that.

I think u exaggerate the impact here but let's agree to disagree.

Barnes up 8-2 in the 8th and he's all worked up about the runner on 2nd. Focus on the hitter and challenge him. Instead he gets distracted and walks Sanchez to load the bases.

There can't be another team in MLB that makes more outs on the bases than the Red Sox. It's an epidemic. Benintendi, Nunez and Bogaerts are the biggest culprits.

Good win in Minnesota.
Porcello steps up it seems whenever there is a big game.
Ricky Rain Drops came thru.
Win one more in Minnesota and get out.

Good win in Minnesota.
Yeah, would love to see them get to Pineda and get a good start from Price. After that, Rodriguez/Gibson is a toss-up

Good win in Minnesota.

Just lose to Berrios later this week

Why is this thread so inactive? This isn’t an attempt at smack-talk. I know there are fewer Sox fans on the board than Yankee fans, but I expect more discussion than this. I have far more to say about the Yankees when they are struggling. There should be plenty to talk about with this team. Are the Sox fans on this board disinterested?

Why is this thread so inactive? This isn’t an attempt at smack-talk. I know there are fewer Sox fans on the board than Yankee fans, but I expect more discussion than this. I have far more to say about the Yankees when they are struggling. There should be plenty to talk about with this team. Are the Sox fans on this board disinterested?
I'm not familiar with other Sox threads, so i can only speculate on this one. The season began badly, and there were a few posts about that, but they were countered by the 'it's early' response. So, conversation slowed. Then, as we began to pick up steam, there were still warning signs that prevented me/us from getting too encouraged. And there have been fits and starts and inconsistencies, and even as we were climbing back in, there were failures that reminded me/us that we prolly shouldn't be very confident. So, it has been a half season of seeing one thing, hoping/expecting something else but possibly not believing. Or something like that. It's just a weird season. And with the Yankees looking so incredibly powerful, there's prolly an insecurity complex playing out, even on the heels of a WS.

So, what has there been to discuss? Can't talk about the wins/losses. Can't talk about the standings.

We could probably talk about Devers and Bogaerts, but there isn't a lot to say... Sale's season has been bizarre. Scary, then impressive, then...? The most frustrating thing has been ownership/management's trust in the bullpen. Odd, that they may have seen the stats, but not the results. Good ERA, lousy number of saves/games lost.

So, that's my nutshell.

Any thoughts on acquiring Cashner? He is having a decent year, although the advanced stats suggest that he has been somewhat fortunate. I have not followed his career. It has been about five years since he was last a better-than-replacement-level pitcher. I wonder what might be responsible for his sudden resurgence.

There can't be another team in MLB that makes more outs on the bases than the Red Sox. It's an epidemic. Benintendi, Nunez and Bogaerts are the biggest culprits.

Another guy nailed at the plate. They must be on their way to setting an MLB record.

Any thoughts on acquiring Cashner? He is having a decent year, although the advanced stats suggest that he has been somewhat fortunate. I have not followed his career. It has been about five years since he was last a better-than-replacement-level pitcher. I wonder what might be responsible for his sudden resurgence.

Cashner seems to be pitching over his head this season. I don't know why that is but it's a low risk move for the Red Sox. They didn't give up much and it didn't cost them much from a financial standpoint. He's a FA at the end of the season. He can't be anything but an upgrade over their other fifth starters that have had an era in the 6.7 range (collectively) this season. That said, their other starters and the bullpen need to improve by leaps and bounds in order to get to, and win, in the postseason. I'm not feelin' it.

Sox needed bullpen help more than starter help. Meh

Unfortunately the starters have been meh this year too. Only one of them has a lower ERA than Cashner and he (Cashner) has been pitching in a homer factory.

Unfortunately the starters have been meh this year too. Only one of them has a lower ERA than Cashner and he (Cashner) has been pitching in a homer factory.

True but we have 20 blown saves. If we have even half that we are right near or at the top of the division even with those starters.

True but we have 20 blown saves. If we have even half that we are right near or at the top of the division even with those starters.

The bullpen sucks but part of the problem is that they've been forced to throw too many innings. The Red Sox 5th starter has an ERA of 6.70 this season and rarely gets out of the 4th inning, necessitating heavy bullpen usage. Hence the move to get Cashner. The other starters leave a lot to be desired as well. Collectively Red Sox starters have an ERA around 4.75. No way around it, that is awful.

The Sox bullpen is very bad but you could have three studs in the bullpen and u ain't going anywhere if your starters have an ERA near five.

The bullpen sucks but part of the problem is that they've been forced to throw too many innings. The Red Sox 5th starter has an ERA of 6.70 this season and rarely gets out of the 4th inning, necessitating heavy bullpen usage. Hence the move to get Cashner. The other starters leave a lot to be desired as well. Collectively Red Sox starters have an ERA around 4.75. No way around it, that is awful.

The Sox bullpen is very bad but you could have three studs in the bullpen and u ain't going anywhere if your starters have an ERA near five.
There is evidence to suggest that Sox pitching has been unfortunate. Opponents are hitting .313 on balls in-play. The American League median this season is about .296 (Yankees are at .297).

The Sox are third in the American League in FIP, DRA, and PWARP.

Sox fans should expect things to get at least a little better.

There is evidence to suggest that Sox pitching has been unfortunate. Opponents are hitting .313 on balls in-play. The American League median this season is about .296 (Yankees are at .297).

The Sox are third in the American League in FIP, DRA, and PWARP.

Sox fans should expect things to get at least a little better.

You might be right but the Sox are on pace to give up 170 more runs than they did last year. I wish we could blame that on bad breaks but the pitching has been abysmal. Just the difference between Chris Sale 2018 v 2019 version coupled with the hideous production out of the 5th starter is enough to turn a team from dominant to wild card contender at best. Sale hasn't won a game in Fenway this season. Toss in a weak bullpen and it can't be overcome even by a strong lineup. Defensive lapses and foolish base running have only added to the situation. This team has found ways to lose games as opposed to last year when they won most of the close games.

Yeah I still Think this was a pretty poor addition

Never said it was a good move. Just said the 5th starter role needed to be addressed given the 6.70 era from that spot. Sheet, that makes the bullpen look good by comparison.

Never said it was a good move. Just said the 5th starter role needed to be addressed given the 6.70 era from that spot. Sheet, that makes the bullpen look good by comparison.

I would have brought in a closer and possibly another BP guy and let Eovaldi start.

Red Sox ratings on TV.
Males 18-49 (2.1)
Old people 65+ (11.9).

That is insane. The average time of an MLB game is 3:02.
The average time of a Red Sox game is a league 3:25.

This team is boring and average. It’s hard to get excited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom