2018 Fall Ball Thread... | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Fall Ball Thread...

Galloway makes sense in a lot of ways, obviously. And Desko will be 65 in four years.

I guess the question for Galloway would be, assuming he builds Jacksonville into a perennial NCAA playoff team over the next four years, does he give up what he built to return home and face the pressure/scrutiny of coaching Syracuse?

Don’t know the man. Have never even spoken to him, so I have no idea what his feelings are. And I’m sure some of you on here do know him or have inside information. But, as a coach myself, that’s what I wonder about.

Cook has to start. The ideal attack unit is a lefty dodger a righty dodger and a crease man. Solomon has proven to me to be a hybrid crease attackman forced to play on the right wing. He's a better dodger than most crease attackman but he's not a Keogh level finisher. Up to this point Voigt has shown he is uncomfortable carrying the ball. However he is an above average finisher who can pass when on man up. I think Voigt is the heartbeat of this team who can fill a roll on man up and 4th attack. Put Solomon on the inside watch him flourish. Or if you want to slide Voigt in and take Solomon out (I know they won't do this). My argument is this Solomon and Voight are both centers (to use basketball) an X attackman is a point guard. It's like trying to play two centers together. Same thing happened last year with bomberry we had him and Solomon who has the same skill set. If you put Kevin Rice in with Solomon, Bomberry, or Voigt on crease they would all score 40+ goals. We have Kevin Rice Jr. we can't leave him on the bench.

A lot to digest in this thread!

CuSeLaX makes some really good points. I would take Voigt over Solomon, personally. Solomon has driven me crazy these last three years and at this point I think he is what he is as an offensive player. Way too many turnovers, not enough production. I don't think he puts any sort of fear into opposing defenses. Maybe if he is indeed made to be the "finisher" of the group he could focus on that one thing and stop trying to be an elite dodger, which he seems too slow to actually be. But again, I think Voigt is better suited for that particular role despite not being able to dodge. Unlikely that the coaches actually do this, but I hope Cook/Seebold see most of their time when Solomon is on the bench.

Curious, if Galloway was not an SU alum, would people be excited for him to become the next head coach of the Orange? His youth and passion are obviously drawing points, Team USA goalie is a great selling point to recruits - but I think his greatest accomplishment is beating a Navy team last year. I'm not sure what kind of rebuilding job was needed at Jacksonville, but its unclear to me how good of a coach he actually is? Also given the lacrosse lineage of SU, is it strange that Galloway is in fact the best option? I think the ship has sailed for Gait to ever become the men's coach. Given recent struggles it seems strange they would give the job to a current assistant. It would be extremely strange to see the head coach NOT come from within the program though. So that leaves Galloway and who exactly?

Agree on vision of where abilities are best suited but comparative stages have to be factored in . Rice played in six games and had three points as a frosh. Takes time for most skilled youngsters to truly contribute. By all accounts, Voight has shined . Solomon is a hybrid but has been productive even if out of position. Very likely the three 'vets' start but a five man rotation is used with Cook and Seebold rotating in at times replacing Solomon and/or Voight. If the play of the youngsters merits , the staff might then consider a switch or redeployment.

CuSeLaX makes some really good points. I would take Voigt over Solomon, personally. Solomon has driven me crazy these last three years and at this point I think he is what he is as an offensive player. Way too many turnovers, not enough production. I don't think he puts any sort of fear into opposing defenses. Maybe if he is indeed made to be the "finisher" of the group he could focus on that one thing and stop trying to be an elite dodger, which he seems too slow to actually be. But again, I think Voigt is better suited for that particular role despite not being able to dodge. Unlikely that the coaches actually do this, but I hope Cook/Seebold see most of their time when Solomon is on the bench.

Curious, if Galloway was not an SU alum, would people be excited for him to become the next head coach of the Orange? His youth and passion are obviously drawing points, Team USA goalie is a great selling point to recruits - but I think his greatest accomplishment is beating a Navy team last year. I'm not sure what kind of rebuilding job was needed at Jacksonville, but its unclear to me how good of a coach he actually is? Also given the lacrosse lineage of SU, is it strange that Galloway is in fact the best option? I think the ship has sailed for Gait to ever become the men's coach. Given recent struggles it seems strange they would give the job to a current assistant. It would be extremely strange to see the head coach NOT come from within the program though. So that leaves Galloway and who exactly?
First off, Desko is a successful coach who is still relatively young and going nowhere. The "what have you done recently" howls will lessen when we are in FF next year but another internal candidate to me would be assistant Kevin Donahue, experienced and versed in all game phases. well respected within the institution and by players. He has been approached by other programs but has stayed because of ties to the community. Not everyone makes it about the money. I appreciate the stability, continuity and tradition of the program and hope we never go outside, think it sets Syracuse apart and for the better.

Personally I would most likely still be excited about Galloway even if he wasn't a cuse alum. Obviously that is hard to judge because it's hard to ignore the fact he is one of the best goalies we have ever had, is a local West Genny product, and really represents the pride and spirit of the program. I decided to check out Jacksonvilles recent history and he appears to be a miracle worker. In two years of coaching to take a team from 3-10 and second to last in their division to 8-7 and 3rd is a massive achievement. They had never even had a winning record before he came in and along with beating a team we lost to in Navy, they played Marquette OSU and Richmond in very close games and did not really have a bad loss, except for maybe High Point. If the team continues to improve we should take a serious look at the guy, based on his young age and results alone. I would like to think the cuse connection would be a nice extra nugget rather than why we would want him in the first place.

I doubt Desko will leave soon. And I think his assistants are prime candidates. However, I believe the best young coach, college or high school, is Brodie Merrill. I have watched a few of his teams play. They play what seems like a reckless, aggressive game, but Merrill is extremely creative and uses that aggression in disguised but very coordinated schemes. He adjusts to field circumstances exceptionally well. I would give him the first opening for a head coach on any team in the country. His kids play with an intelligent, team first mentality. Watch him. Maybe not SU, but some team will grab him soon.

I doubt Desko will leave soon. And I think his assistants are prime candidates. However, I believe the best young coach, college or high school, is Brodie Merrill. I have watched a few of his teams play. They play what seems like a reckless, aggressive game, but Merrill is extremely creative and uses that aggression in disguised but very coordinated schemes. He adjusts to field circumstances exceptionally well. I would give him the first opening for a head coach on any team in the country. His kids play with an intelligent, team first mentality. Watch him. Maybe not SU, but some team will grab him soon.
Merrill may also have the best collection of talent in high school/prep ranks.

Interesting idea. I certainly love watching the Hill Academy and love watching players with a native american/canadian/box lacrosse background beat up on the top field teams of US prep schools, as I think it shows the value of that style of play in the outdoor game. If he came here we could probably get a verrry nice pipeline going from Hill Academy to Cuse, or even just top Canadian talent in general since they know they would play for a coach that values and utilizes their style of play. I'd personally be all for it but I doubt any cuse higher up would roll the dice on something like that. There is always the concern of losing some of the connections and pipelines we have now by hiring a coach "outside the family." He would also most likely favor a more deliberate and play-oriented style that certain recruits and fans may not go for.

I met Merrill the year he graduated college, spent only a few minutes with him but he came off as being very genuine, respectful and an all-around "good guy". I believe he started the Hill Academy from the ground up ... not sure what kind of offer it would take to get him to leave but I imagine it would have to be pretty special. I wouldn't be against this hire, just don't think it would be very likely. Also it would still make me nervous to take any high school coach and throw him into top level Div 1. Is the best option other than Galloway Donahue (who isn't getting any younger) and a high school coach with no relationship to SU?

Merrill may also have the best collection of talent in high school/prep ranks.
I am not referring to wins and losses or talent levels. He could win at any level of talent. It's his system that is so impressive. He teaches kids how to play the game. Watch his interactions with his players and the referees. He is always calm. I watched a game where penalties were called on his team 3 times more frequently than on the other team. Many of them were obvious bad calls. He never wavered. His kids never complained but played harder when adversity hit. By the way he gets the best talent because the kids and parents know how good he is.

I am not referring to wins and losses or talent levels. He could win at any level of talent. It's his system that is so impressive. He teaches kids how to play the game. Watch his interactions with his players and the referees. He is always calm. I watched a game where penalties were called on his team 3 times more frequently than on the other team. Many of them were obvious bad calls. He never wavered. His kids never complained but played harder when adversity hit. By the way he gets the best talent because the kids and parents know how good he is.
Seems like it might be a bit of a chicken-or-egg situation.

Re: Galloway...

I spent a couple of days in Lake Placid last year over the holidays. My girlfriend and I ran into A bunch of very prominent /star cuse players from 08/09 (think team USAs/rattler players) .including Galloway

They were all up to party for New Year’s Eve and we met at a bar ...great guys ..they pulled us over to their table after my GF told them that I was a Cuse lax junkie and talked to us for a long time..

Won’t say who said what, but the universal opinion was that the program needs new blood ..no longer about XOs..needs to also be about the culture, recognizing creativity, less structure etc which is why people are talking about Lars Tiffany and Breschi at NC...today’s kids want the whole package

When Galloway went to the bathroom, everyone said - you see that guy who just got up ? ..He’s the next Cuse coach ..it’s in the works ...the job he really wants etc ..

.so while not guaranteed ..it was “suggested” that discussion have been had ..that a plan may be in the works for the future ..when exactly? don’t know ..but possibly next few years ...

At the same time, they said ..not sure Desko will go quietly

What I would like to see is bring in Galloway in some way ..bake him into the system and coaching staff with the future promise of head coach - make the transition natural ...

Having said that ..not sure he wants to let go of HC responsibility so quickly at JVille

Re: Galloway...

I spent a couple of days in Lake Placid last year over the holidays. My girlfriend and I ran into A bunch of very prominent /star cuse players from 08/09 (think team USAs/rattler players) .including Galloway

They were all up to party for New Year’s Eve and we met at a bar ...great guys ..they pulled us over to their table after my GF told them that I was a Cuse lax junkie and talked to us for a long time..

Won’t say who said what, but the universal opinion was that the program needs new blood ..no longer about XOs..needs to also be about the culture, recognizing creativity, less structure etc which is why people are talking about Lars Tiffany and Breschi at NC...today’s kids want the whole package

When Galloway went to the bathroom, everyone said - you see that guy who just got up ? ..He’s the next Cuse coach ..it’s in the works ...the job he really wants etc ..

.so while not guaranteed ..it was “suggested” that discussion have been had ..that a plan may be in the works for the future ..when exactly? don’t know ..but possibly next few years ...

At the same time, they said ..not sure Desko will go quietly

What I would like to see is bring in Galloway in some way ..bake him into the system and coaching staff with the future promise of head coach - make the transition natural ...

Having said that ..not sure he wants to let go of HC responsibility so quickly at JVille
I'd be happy if Galloway was the next HC. I assume he can bring in good assistants (or retain those that want to stay).

I really like Sholokov's recommendation of Brodie Merrill. I think that would be a great choice. It's interesting that Georgetown has a young coach, so that's not even really an option for Merrill.

I've never really seen Galloway coach, but I hope he has a calmness about him. He coached under Danowski for at least a year, so I hope he picked up some of that vibe.

I am happy with the current staff. I think the next few years will be important in two ways. 1) how does the team do in 2019 and 2020 when it looks like they have a lot of talent and 2) how does the staff do in recruiting for the 2020-2022 HS classes

I'd be happy if Galloway was the next HC. I assume he can bring in good assistants (or retain those that want to stay).

I really like Sholokov's recommendation of Brodie Merrill. I think that would be a great choice. It's interesting that Georgetown has a young coach, so that's not even really an option for Merrill.

I've never really seen Galloway coach, but I hope he has a calmness about him. He coached under Danowski for at least a year, so I hope he picked up some of that vibe.

I am happy with the current staff. I think the next few years will be important in two ways. 1) how does the team do in 2019 and 2020 when it looks like they have a lot of talent and 2) how does the staff do in recruiting for the 2020-2022 HS classes
Ohmi - agree on several fronts. I believe Desko has been a very fine coach, as good as any including Tierney. I believe his years of service and dedication have earned him the right and dignity to leave when he chooses. I also believe he is a good man with the character and love for SU to put the team and the university ahead of his pride. So, I say cut him some slack. I know he hurts as much or more than we do when SU loses. And remember he has taken some teams even in the last few years much farther than we collectively thought they could go. Laconic as he is on the sideline, he still burns hot inside. Galloway and Merrill have years and years left in their careers. More great young coaches will come with them. In good time, SU will hire one.

I still support Desko 100% with that said Galloway would be my pick for the next coach and agree he should some how be brought into the mix sooner rather then later. With that said I dont see it happening unless Donahue retires or Rogers leaves. No way Galloway leaves Jacksonville for anything less then assitant job and even that maybe a stretch. Nothing great has happened with Scarmo on the sidelines as the volunteer nothing against him I actually like him a lot but it does prohibit them from having other former players take a crack at the position. In a perfect world Galloway gets the job after Desko retires with Ryan Powell as his assistant head coach he did an amazing job in 2004. I would also like to see them bring some Native American blood to the staff Brett Bucktooth comes to mind he is doing a lot of coaching these days with strong recruiting ties to all of the Six Nations and Canada

Before we put Desko’s head on a pike and march down Marshall Street, shouldn’t we see how this spring goes? With the new rules and a full fall, maybe we’ll see a return to the type of lacrosse that attracted all kinds of talent to the Hill in the past.

Desko does not run the team...hes only a figure head...Donahue runs everything...Donahue is the problem

Desko does not run the team...hes only a figure head...Donahue runs everything...Donahue is the problem
Yeah, seems like Donahue runs everything during the timeouts.

Shame that the fall ball thread got somewhat kidnapped. Thought focus be on players and season prospects. Maybe January brings a refocus. A stand alone thread on future coaching candidates could be started since our 2019 coaching staff is intact preparing for upcoming season.

Most competent heads in business and sports delegate. Desko oversees and has final say on matters. He allows his coordinators to direct their huddles with occasional input.

Donahue is an asset possessing wide knowledge. Calm and collected in the most frantic of moments. Syracuse was lucky to retain him.

Thanks summit, I think I played a part in steering this off topic, my bad. I do just want to say Desko will forever be in a tough spot - if he wins, it is because of the "lore" of Syracuse - the legacies, the tradition, the location. If he losses, then he seems to take all the blame - he doesn't recruit well enough, the game has passed him by, so on and so forth. I think I struggle because I am disappointed in the last few years, but have a hard time looking out into the coaching landscape and thinking anyone else could do as good a job as Desko has (he is a Hall of Famer and seems to have a strangle hold on ACC Coach of the Year honors). We are in a tough spot of being grateful for what we have, but at the same time wanting more. It's a tough line to walk.

Whatever happens, hopefully things turnaround soon. I don't think this year will be the year, but in two years, with Rhefuss, Trimboli and Mellen being seniors, and what looks to be at least two strong recruiting classes behind them, I have faith that team will produce very positive results.

As for Fall Ball, I think it is pretty much over right? No more scrimmages at least. It sounds like overall the team performed pretty well, though not much coverage to follow outside of what we read on the message boards. Wish the lacrosse community would get its act together and provide more ways to watch/follow fall ball.

Thanks summit, I think I played a part in steering this off topic, my bad. I do just want to say Desko will forever be in a tough spot - if he wins, it is because of the "lore" of Syracuse - the legacies, the tradition, the location. If he losses, then he seems to take all the blame - he doesn't recruit well enough, the game has passed him by, so on and so forth. I think I struggle because I am disappointed in the last few years, but have a hard time looking out into the coaching landscape and thinking anyone else could do as good a job as Desko has (he is a Hall of Famer and seems to have a strangle hold on ACC Coach of the Year honors). We are in a tough spot of being grateful for what we have, but at the same time wanting more. It's a tough line to walk.

Whatever happens, hopefully things turnaround soon. I don't think this year will be the year, but in two years, with Rhefuss, Trimboli and Mellen being seniors, and what looks to be at least two strong recruiting classes behind them, I have faith that team will produce very positive results.

As for Fall Ball, I think it is pretty much over right? No more scrimmages at least. It sounds like overall the team performed pretty well, though not much coverage to follow outside of what we read on the message boards. Wish the lacrosse community would get its act together and provide more ways to watch/follow fall ball.
No apology necessary. For me the fun of this forum rests on the free flow of ideas, subjects, etc. Why limit discussion to certain topics? Sometimes we reach far afield. It's always interesting and provocative.

With fall ball all done I wanted to revisit our starting roster. (This is not necessarily my preferred starters just what I predict they will be) with there IL recruiting rank in ( )

Attack:
Brad Voigt (84)
Nate Solomon (57)
Stephen Rehfuss (unranked)
(4th attack) Griffey Cook (25)

Midfield:
Jamie Trimboli (34)
Tucker Dordevic (27)
Brendan Curry (49)

David Lipka (unranked)
Edit: Pat Carlin (I mistakenly put McKinney)
Lucas Quinn (13) or Jacob Buttermore (unranked)

FO:
Danny Varello (unranked)

SSDM:
Peter Dearth (63)
Dami Oladunmoye (unranked)

LSM:
Brett Kennedy (unranked)
Jared Fernandez (68)

Defense:
Tyson Bomberrry (41)
Marcus Cunningham (unranked)
Nick Mellen (30)