2018 Fall Camp: Practice #7, Thurs. August 9 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Fall Camp: Practice #7, Thurs. August 9

You really have no idea what you’re talking about

Oh yeah? Please feel free to enlighten me.

Pierce is terrific, but graduates after this year. Here's what we have returning next year:
  • Hackett is unproven, and will have BIG shoes to fill
  • Horan probably projects long-term at OT
  • Our 2019 recruit is fast, but many on the recruiting forum view him as a reach [I don't -- I like camp offers, but his offer list is primarily FCS schools, so we'll see]
  • Connor -- intriguing walk on, but probably too much to expect big contributions
For comparison's sake, let's break down the long term prognosis at the other "O" positional units:

--QB -- DeVito blew up after we offered him, Amie was a nice "get," and Culpepper. Post-Dungey, sky's the limit.
--RB -- With Adams coming next year, plus Neal / Pierre / Howard, the pipeline is stocked
--WR -- Pipeline's is swollen with impressive talent, it is just primarily young / inexperienced
--OL -- Staff has really done a great job building depth, and being able to redshirt guys. Future is bright here.

So... unless I'm missing something, TE doesn't quite stack up as well as every other positional unit on offense from a recruiting standpoint.

Feel free to explain why according to you I "...have no idea what [I'm] talking about," and why we don't need to add playmakers at TE comparable to what we've done at WR / RB / QB.

Last edited:
  • Our recruit in the class of 2019 is fast, but many on the recruiting forum view him as a reach [I don't -- I like camp offers, but his offer list is primarily FCS schools, so we'll see]
So... unless I'm missing something, TE doesn't quite stack up as well as every other positional unit on offense.
In fairness to said recruit, the football coaches among us on the board seemed to really like his tape. Or at least one did. Your concerns are certainly valid, though.

In fairness to said recruit, the football coaches among us on the board seemed to really like his tape. Or at least one did. Your concerns are certainly valid, though.

As stated in the post you responded to, I like camp offers. Plus, his speed reportedly popped at the camp. Him being rated by 2.4.7 as a three-star seems to affirm the coaching staff's judgement.

But I do acknowledge those who raise an eyebrow based exclusively on the offer list make a fair point. It's not a concern that I specifically share, but I can understand the skepticism on that basis.

Some observations from these videos. (and many thanks to the staff for giving them up)

*Man I hope Coleman comes back healthy because our triumvirate of Slayton, Bear and Robinson is going to be the best we've had in years. Is it crazy to say maybe ever?

Certifiable.

2011, Chandler, Marinovich, Sharpe, Robinson, Ball, Simmons at DE.

Bromley and Googins inside

2001, Freeney, Thomas, Whyce, Lacasse

If your talking DL as a whole, Burnett, Frase, Gregory by themselves

Is the schedule that SU released reflecting central standard time or is Bailey time traveling again. By my clock, the open period doesn't start for another 5 minutes.

Maybe I'm just groggy and if so I'll just delete this whole post later. Nothing lasts forever on the internet.
LOL...I guess they didn't like me posting the schedule and changed the start time to 9:00.

Certifiable.

2011, Chandler, Marinovich, Sharpe, Robinson, Ball, Simmons at DE.

Bromley and Googins inside

2001, Freeney, Thomas, Whyce, Lacasse

If your talking DL as a whole, Burnett, Frase, Gregory by themselves

DL as a whole. And it's understood the season hasn't happened yet so this is potential...but

Slayton is the best tackle since Bromley's senior year. His numbers through 3 years are way ahead of Bromley's. His sack numbers are even with Art Jones total number and just behind Jone's TFL (31.5 to 24.5) Bromley only had 11. Art Jones had 40 more tackles though at the same point. Jones was a pro. The only thing separating Bromley from Slayton was his studly senior year - 10 sacks & 14.5 TFL.

Slayton paired with McKinley (who has identical numbers to Jay Bromley through 2 years) is very intriguing. Jones did not have that next to him.

Alton Robinson had 30 tackles, 6 TFL and 5 sacks in his first year of D1 ball and missed August camp; that's crazy. His numbers are far ahead of LaCasse and Wyche. Through 3 years LaCasse had 7.5 sacks, Wyche 8.5. Robinson has the potential to be a stud.

Coleman through 2 years is also comparable to the previous ends. Coleman has 57 tackles, 4 TFL and 1.5 sacks and he missed 4 games when he was starting to come into his own.

If this unit is healthy and takes the next step in continuous improvement and the natural expected jump in numbers it's going to be as formidable a DL as we've had.

DL as a whole. And it's understood the season hasn't happened yet so this is potential...but

Slayton is the best tackle since Bromley's senior year. His numbers through 3 years are way ahead of Bromley's. His sack numbers are even with Art Jones total number and just behind Jone's TFL (31.5 to 24.5) Bromley only had 11. Art Jones had 40 more tackles though at the same point. Jones was a pro. The only thing separating Bromley from Slayton was his studly senior year - 10 sacks & 14.5 TFL.

Slayton paired with McKinley (who has identical numbers to Jay Bromley through 2 years) is very intriguing. Jones did not have that next to him.

Alton Robinson had 30 tackles, 6 TFL and 5 sacks in his first year of D1 ball and missed August camp; that's crazy. His numbers are far ahead of LaCasse and Wyche. Through 3 years LaCasse had 7.5 sacks, Wyche 8.5. Robinson has the potential to be a stud.

Coleman through 2 years is also comparable to the previous ends. Coleman has 57 tackles, 4 TFL and 1.5 sacks and he missed 4 games when he was starting to come into his own.

If this unit is healthy and takes the next step in continuous improvement and the natural expected jump in numbers it's going to be as formidable a DL as we've had.

Have you watched this defense the last two years? If these guys can avoid puking on their shoes that will be an accomplishment.

Have you watched this defense the last two years? If these guys can avoid puking on their shoes that will be an accomplishment.
Injuries and depth are less of a concern this year.

Agreed on TE. That's one positional unit that is a little behind, quality-wise, in terms of what we have in the pipeline at every other offensive positional unit.
Peirce’s 75 catches and 750 yards will put TE prospects on notice.

He has the perfect storm of a stud QB, solid OL and weakish WR plus his own NFL level talent in an expolosive offensive scheme to make that happen.

Other TE will want those #’s too.

Last edited:
Injuries and depth are less of a concern this year.

The question was, and I know it was hyperbole, could this DL be best ever at SU. If we limit ourselves just to the last 30 or so years, the answer is obviously no.

This defense has been 99th or lower in run defense and sacks the last two years. Is it in anyway in the realm of reality that the DL that performed at that level is going to be a better collective than any of the three I referred to off the top of my head?

Can they be better, sure, hard to be worse, but this program has had good to great defense multiple times over the last 30 years, let alone the history of the program.

Clayton Welch threw a really nice ball to Jordan on that TD. Iffy got beat bad.

I thought it was a nice throw too. But I thought Jordan did a really nice job at the line of scrimmage getting open as well.

The question was, and I know it was hyperbole, could this DL be best ever at SU. If we limit ourselves just to the last 30 or so years, the answer is obviously no.

This defense has been 99th or lower in run defense and sacks the last two years. Is it in anyway in the realm of reality that the DL that performed at that level is going to be a better collective than any of the three I referred to off the top of my head?

Can they be better, sure, hard to be worse, but this program has had good to great defense multiple times over the last 30 years, let alone the history of the program.

Personally, if Robinson and Slayton get support, i think this line will be outstanding. Despite the past two years

We’re not talking about the defense as a whole. The DLine when healthy at End has been fine. These Guys were also not playing against the Rutgers UConns and Temples of the world etc.

Huka bar, Sharpe, Robinson, Ball, Simmons etc as “underclassmen” would’ve got killed by LSU CLEMSON FSU MIAMI LVILLE NCSTATE last year

Last edited:
You really have no idea what you’re talking about
Dude, the guy plays really high level basketball with a guy that played a couple games at Minnesota. I mean, if he doesn't know what he's talking about, who does.

Love what yer bringing here. Need more nuanced, reasoned takes like this.

We’re not talking about the defense as a whole. The DLine when healthy at End has been fine. These Guys were also not playing against the Rutgers UConns and Temples of the world etc.

Huka bar, Sharpe, Robinson, Ball, Simmons etc as “underclassmen” would’ve got killed by LSU CLEMSON FSU MIAMI LVILLE NCSTATE last year

Everything looks bigger in the rearview for go

We need Coleman to be healthy. Watched the LSU game from last year and Coleman was a monster when he was on the field. That first drive he had a sack and then a missed sack. Brings some serious speed off the edge. He and Robinson would be one hell of a duo.

The question was ….could this DL be best ever at SU. …. the answer is obviously no.

This defense has been 99th or lower in run defense and sacks the last two years. Is it in anyway in the realm of reality that the DL that performed at that level is going to be a better collective than any of the three I referred to …...
Can't disagree with your conclusion, but a couple of things. The 2017 defense (and DL) was respectable in October; and woeful (after injuries to Coleman and others) in November. The defense started the year with true sophs in key roles, and by November, a true frosh (Jonathan), and an out of position LB (Guthrie) were playing by necessity.
The 2018 DL is measurably bigger, more experienced and deeper than the group that was torched last November. How good? That what's games are for.

Love what yer bringing here. Need more nuanced, reasoned takes like this.

Perfect response from a pom pom waiving naif.

Sorry, but ridiculous assertions, whether positive or negative, deserve push back.

Let me know when you make a legit point.

Can't disagree with your conclusion, but a couple of things. The 2017 defense (and DL) was respectable in October; and woeful (after injuries to Coleman and others) in November. The defense started the year with true sophs in key roles, and by November, a true frosh (Jonathan), and an out of position LB (Guthrie) were playing by necessity.
The 2018 DL is measurably bigger, more experienced and deeper than the group that was torched last November. How good? That what's games are for.

I'm certain they will be better, but one of the best, is an unrealistic stretch and expectation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom