2018 Fall Camp: Practice #7, Thurs. August 9 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Fall Camp: Practice #7, Thurs. August 9

I'm certain they will be better, but one of the best, is an unrealistic stretch and expectation.
I tend to agree with this, reasonable expectations should be set.

I think we’ll be better in the sack dept., worse vs the run, mainly bc of our second level defenders.

I think you need to weigh the competition perspective vs history, but, it doesn’t carry that much weight. You have to play and produce against whoever is on the other side of the ball.

Perfect response from a pom pom waiving naif.

Sorry, but ridiculous assertions, whether positive or negative, deserve push back.

Let me know when you make a legit point.

What was your point? Which D were you talking about? The one that helped beat the #2 team in the country or the one that fell apart late.

Insults instead of actually points. Quite the llegacy

Actual point

Reasons for optimism from our D:

- DL as mentioned (if you place a lot of blame on lack of pass rush, some of that should be remedied)
- when our D was ok last year we had a rangy safety (Martin) doing good things when we went some. When he got hurt, our pass D fell apart. It appears that will be better this year
- Cordy if healthy will be a beast
- a more effective and efficient offense will be huge for the D. Esp if we can convert yards to points

Reasons for pessimism (Go):

Actual point

Reasons for optimism from our D:

- DL as mentioned (if you place a lot of blame on lack of pass rush, some of that should be remedied)
- when our D was ok last year we had a rangy safety (Martin) doing good things when we went some. When he got hurt, our pass D fell apart. It appears that will be better this year
- Cordy if healthy will be a beast
- a more effective and efficient offense will be huge for the D. Esp if we can convert yards to points

Reasons for pessimism (Go):

Basically every reason since 2001.

If the DL and OL can stay healthy, this team will do well. Let's face it, Coleman, Black and Pickard have not been able to stay on the field and the first 2 have to be able to get an X amount of snaps on D for a whole season unless guys behind them just take off. Injuries continue on the DL SU will be playing a 3/2/6 D.

Everything looks bigger in the rearview for go
I think it’s very smart to work Custis and N.Johnson at both outside and slot. Pierce is going to be driving DC’s crazy - so creating favorable matchups by swapping those guys is a nice way to attack.
Oh yeah? Please feel free to enlighten me.

Pierce is terrific, but graduates after this year. Here's what we have returning next year:
  • Hackett is unproven, and will have BIG shoes to fill
  • Horan probably projects long-term at OT
  • Our 2019 recruit is fast, but many on the recruiting forum view him as a reach [I don't -- I like camp offers, but his offer list is primarily FCS schools, so we'll see]
  • Connor -- intriguing walk on, but probably too much to expect big contributions
For comparison's sake, let's break down the long term prognosis at the other "O" positional units:

--QB -- DeVito blew up after we offered him, Amie was a nice "get," and Culpepper. Post-Dungey, sky's the limit.
--RB -- With Adams coming next year, plus Neal / Pierre / Howard, the pipeline is stocked
--WR -- Pipeline's is swollen with impressive talent, it is just primarily young / inexperienced
--OL -- Staff has really done a great job building depth, and being able to redshirt guys. Future is bright here.

So... unless I'm missing something, TE doesn't quite stack up as well as every other positional unit on offense from a recruiting standpoint.

Feel free to explain why according to you I "...have no idea what [I'm] talking about," and why we don't need to add playmakers at TE comparable to what we've done at WR / RB / QB.

My apologies. I overreacted. If there is a way to send you a direct message so that I do not dig myself a deeper hole, I will explain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically every reason since 2001.

Cordy has only felt like he’s been on the team that long. The O was effecient Nassibs last season, but the D was less effective than it has been with Shafer as DC. With Shafer as HC we had issues in the secondary but could count on pressure with the front 7.

So maybe not exactly the same issues?

If the DL and OL can stay healthy, this team will do well. Let's face it, Coleman, Black and Pickard have not been able to stay on the field and the first 2 have to be able to get an X amount of snaps on D for a whole season unless guys behind them just take off. Injuries continue on the DL SU will be playing a 3/2/6 D.
Realistically, injuries are part of the game. It is a rare season (maybe 2012?) when SU has not lost a key contributor or two from its lines.
So, now, we have a couple of spare OL who have starting experience, but likely will not be in the first five. We have some promising linemen in the second DL unit (thinking about Black, Ruff, Jonathan, Berry) who will be contributions in the rotation. Need Coleman healthy, for sure, but this 2018 team is not as thin or lacking in second unit talent as the recent editions.

Shouldn't the conversation for best dline ever begin and end with '59?

Shouldn't the conversation for best dline ever begin and end with '59?
Well they did give up 193 yards...FOR THE SEASON!
They were called the "Sizable 7." I think the most sizable was 250lbs.
Love those old timey nicknames.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom