Class of 2018 - 2018 Grad Transfers | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 2018 Grad Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

6-8 220#.

Graduated from Dartmouth
I could live with this. Take a flyer on a kid from an Ivy who averaged 17.5 and 9.5. Likes fishing and golfing. Someone alert the SUAD. Have to think he could at least replicate MM's numbers.
upload_2018-3-27_17-47-40.gif

Lightening in a bottle.

Taurean Thompson (and his Mom) say Hi!

White worked his way up to "not bad" on D by the end of the season.

JG played about 10 minutes of good D all year...
thankfully a snippet of that was on Kennard, right before we got the ball back to him for that epic last-second 3 FTW!!

... which was 10 minutes more than TT played.

Matadors objected to being compared to him, as they found it insulting - to them. :p
I’m giving you a like for the matador line

Yeah. We wouldn't want another Andrew White.

Whose growth do you stunt by bringing in a grad transfer who wants to go pro? Gillon and White were brought in because there was a need at both guard and the small forward positions.

I could live with this. Take a flyer on a kid from an Ivy who averaged 17.5 and 9.5. Likes fishing and golfing. Someone alert the SUAD. Have to think he could at least replicate MM's numbers. View attachment 125392

Lightening in a bottle.
If he was going to Xavier, it stands to reason there's a good chance he goes to Louisville now, no? They need players, so I'm sure it's a good fit, though a Dartmouth grad might prefer a better grad education...

Going to be hard to get a grad transfer with the talent we have on this roster plus the fact Thorpe barely played then quit.

Going to be hard to get a grad transfer with the talent we have on this roster plus the fact Thorpe barely played then quit.
It’s hard to get a grad transfer looking to showcase.

We should be looking at grad transfer from low D-1 school looking to be a role player at a big school.
I am sure there are some there.

We can’t go into next year with 9 players and Howard Washington injured.

Instead of a grad transfer, we should potentially look for a traditional transfer, right? As described above many times, minutes next year, outside of the 5, are gonna be hard to come by. Quality grad transfers will probably not be into us. We need bodies for practice, and will need players almost everywhere in 2019. Having someone training in the system for a year, like Hughes can't hurt. If we lose OB, DB, Marek, Chuckwu, Frank, etc. after next year, we can sell that...

If you go after a grad transfer, it has to be a player that knows his role and doesn't have NBA aspirations. He's going to have to fall in line and realize that he'll simply be a role player that might average anywhere from 12-15 mins per game.

What player does not have NBA aspirations?

What player does not have NBA aspirations?

Everyone isn't a pro. There are plenty of grad transfers who will never sniff the league. Do you want depth or do you want someone that is going out there with something to prove?

It’s hard to get a grad transfer looking to showcase.

We should be looking at grad transfer from low D-1 school looking to be a role player at a big school.
I am sure there are some there.

We can’t go into next year with 9 players and Howard Washington injured.

Spot on -- there are PLENTY of guys playing at lower levels that are proven commodities, who might relish the opportunity to play for Syracuse, in the Dome, against ACC competition. We should obviously try to get the best players we can, but if we can land a forward to contribute depth or maybe even a 4/5 type who could bolster depth at both positions, we should do it.

Remember Grant Mullins from Columbia? We wanted him badly after Malichi declared for early entry. Despite playing in the Ivy League [not saying anything controversial when I suggest they are a lower caliber league], he drew extensive attention from SU, Michigan, and Cal -- and eventually opted for the latter. Despite coming from a lesser conference, he ended up starting 80% of the games his one season there, and shot 40% from three while average double figures.

Sometimes, those players are better than you [not you specifically, Alsacs] might expect -- they aren't all just automatically practice bodies. We were looking at Mullins as a third guard, while clearly he was capable of starting and performing well at the P5 conference level.

And I agree that we don't have bountiful playing time on paper to offer -- so you'd be looking at a kid who would add value in a lesser role. Once we get closer to graduation, there will be hundreds of fifth year grad transfers out there, and a handful of them will probably fit the bill.

Best of all, we don't need to bring in someone to plug a major hole like we have in the past, just to add depth. Doesn't really matter to me if it is a grad transfer or a "regular" transfer, although I'd prefer the latter.

Last edited:
Not sure if he is looking for a guaranteed starting spot or not. If he isn't it's hard for me to think he wouldn't be good for the roster. After watching this video he is absolutely a better ball player than Kristof, Gorman and Ethan Cole combined. Also would have Moyer's original Grad date so why the heck not

Not sure if he is looking for a guaranteed starting spot or not. If he isn't it's hard for me to think he wouldn't be good for the roster. After watching this video he is absolutely a better ball player than Kristof, Gorman and Ethan Cole combined. Also would have Moyer's original Grad date so why the heck not

This kid is obviously a kid who could perform at the P5 level. We'd need to sell him on the opportunity to start that second year, after providing depth the first season.

Spot on -- there are PLENTY of guys playing at lower levels that are proven commodities, who might relish the opportunity to play for Syracuse, in the Dome, against ACC competition. We should obviously try to get the best players we can, but if we can land a forward to contribute depth or maybe even a 4/5 type who could bolster depth at both positions, we should do it.

Remember Grant Mullins from Columbia? We wanted him badly after Malichi declared for early entry. Despite playing in the Ivy League [not saying anything controversial when I suggest they are a lower caliber league], he drew extensive attention from SU, Michigan, and Cal -- and eventually opted for the latter. Despite coming from a lesser conference, he ended up starting 80% of the games his one season there, and shot 40% from three while average double figures.

Sometimes, those players are better than you [not you specifically, Alsacs] might expect -- they aren't all just automatically practice bodies. We were looking at Mullins as a third guard, while clearly he was capable of starting and performing well at the P5 conference level.

And I agree that we don't have bountiful playing time on paper to offer -- so you'd be looking at a kid who would add value in a lesser role. Once we get closer to graduation, there will be hundreds of fifth year grad transfers out there, and a handful of them will probably fit the bill.

Best of all, we don't need to bring in someone to plug a major hole like we have in the past, just to add depth. Doesn't really matter to me if it is a grad transfer or a "regular" transfer, although I'd prefer the latter.

Nura Zanna
6-7/6-8 PF
Averaged 9.2 points & 8.7 rebounds at LIU
Grad transferred to Houston and played in 35 games, averaging 15 minutes per game for a team that should have beaten Michigan
2.8 points, 3.9 rebounds

Someone like that would be perfect, in my view.

Trey Porter - Grad transfer from Old Dominion
6-10, 235 lb Power Forward

13.2 PPG (586% FG), 6.2 RPG & 1.3 BPG in only 23.6 MPG this past season.

Came on even stronger at end of season, averaging 20.5 PPG in final 4 games (27.5 MPG).

OD's coach in January: "I think he's emerging as a dominant player in this league," said Jones, who's Monarchs (14-4, 5-1 Conference USA) is now in second place in the league standings."

The best way to describe Trey Porter on the basketball court? We'll leave that up to teammate Brandan Stith, "Trey's the big dude. He's the enforcer."

The 6-foot-10, 235-pound Porter put on close to 40 pounds of muscle this past offseason, and is now third on the team in scoring (13.2 ppg), second in rebounding (6.4 rebounds per game) and is tied for first alongisde Brandan Stith with 1.7 blocks per game.

AND - Best of all, he wouldn't argue about not playing enough! (He's a diabetic, and his minutes in games/practices has to be monitored.)

Really think this guy would be perfect for us next year. Dude is built pretty solid - showed some touch inside. Someone tell the staff. (No, for real...)

Also: Major in communications.

Since this has devolved into a transfer thread instead of just grad transfers, here's one to keep an eye on:

I believe we recruited Banks out of HS. He was a top 60 player. 6'10" Center would really fill a gap when Chukwu leaves.

Trey Porter - Grad transfer from Old Dominion
6-10, 235 lb Power Forward

13.2 PPG (586% FG), 6.2 RPG & 1.3 BPG in only 23.6 MPG this past season.

Came on even stronger at end of season, averaging 20.5 PPG in final 4 games (27.5 MPG).

OD's coach in January: "I think he's emerging as a dominant player in this league," said Jones, who's Monarchs (14-4, 5-1 Conference USA) is now in second place in the league standings."

The best way to describe Trey Porter on the basketball court? We'll leave that up to teammate Brandan Stith, "Trey's the big dude. He's the enforcer."

The 6-foot-10, 235-pound Porter put on close to 40 pounds of muscle this past offseason, and is now third on the team in scoring (13.2 ppg), second in rebounding (6.4 rebounds per game) and is tied for first alongisde Brandan Stith with 1.7 blocks per game.

AND - Best of all, he wouldn't argue about not playing enough! (He's a diabetic, and his minutes in games/practices has to be monitored.)

Really think this guy would be perfect for us next year. Dude is built pretty solid - showed some touch inside. Someone tell the staff. (No, for real...)

Also: Major in communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors