2019 ACC Media Days Wed. 7/18 & Thurs. 7/19, Charlotte | Syracusefan.com

2019 ACC Media Days Wed. 7/18 & Thurs. 7/19, Charlotte

DeVito, Coleman to Represent Syracuse at 2019 ACC Kickoff
7/2/2019 2:00:00 PM | Football

Share: Facebook Button Twitter Button Email Button ...
GREENSBORO, N.C. – Redshirt sophomore quarterback Tommy DeVito and senior defensive end Kendall Coleman will join head coach Dino Babers as Syracuse's representatives at this year's ACC Football Kickoff. The league's annual media event takes place Wednesday, July 17 and Thursday, July 18 at The Westin Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina. Two student-athletes and the head coach from each of the ACC's 14 member institutions are scheduled to attend.

Head coaches and players from ACC Atlantic Division schools, including Syracuse, will be available on July 17. Representatives from ACC Coastal Division teams are available on July 18. In addition to gathering interviews and sound bites, media in attendance vote on the preseason All-ACC teams as well as the league's predicted order of finish.

An All-ACC Preseason Third Team selection by both Athlon and Lindy's, DeVito is one of two sophomores who will attend, joining Florida State receiver Tamorrion Terry.

DeVito appeared in eight games last season as the primary backup to Eric Dungey and twice came off the bench to lead the Orange to critical victories. Against Florida State, DeVito guided Syracuse to 24 second-half points as the Orange defeated the Seminoles 30-7 for their first win in the series since 1966. DeVito threw for 144 yards, including a 3-yard touchdown, and also ran for a score to earn ACC Rookie of the Week honors.

Against North Carolina, DeVito passed for 181 yards and three touchdowns to propel Syracuse past the Tar Heels 40-37 in double overtime. He entered the game with 5:07 left in regulation and completed 11-of-19 passes, including the tying touchdown with 1:39 to go and the game-winner in the second overtime.

For the season, DeVito completed 44-of-87 (.506) passes for 525 yards with four touchdowns and three interceptions.

A preseason All-ACC selection by multiple media outlets, Coleman is one half of Syracuse's formidable defensive-end duo. Together, he and classmate Alton Robinson combined for 20 sacks last season – the most in the ACC.

In 32 career games (31 starts), Coleman has 89 tackles, 16 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks. In 2018, Coleman notched 32 tackles, including 12 for a loss, and tied for second in the ACC with 10 sacks. He ranked eighth nationally in sacks per game (0.83) and set the Camping World Bowl record with three sacks in the Orange's 34-18 victory against West Virginia.

DeVito, Coleman and the Orange open 2019 preseason camp in August. The season opener is set for Saturday, Aug. 31 at Liberty. Syracuse's first home game is Saturday, Sept. 14 versus defending national champion Clemson.

GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the 28 football student-athletes selected by its 14 league schools to attend the 2019 ACC Football Kickoff, July 17-18, at The Westin Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The student-athletes attending the 2019 ACC Football Kickoff are:

Boston College:
AJ Dillon, RB, Jr., New London, Conn.
Tanner Karafa, DT, Sr., Ashburn, Va.

Clemson:
John Simpson, OG, Sr., North Charleston, S.C.
Tanner Muse, S, Sr., Belmont, N.C.

Duke:
Quentin Harris, QB, Sr., Wilton, Conn.
Koby Quansah, LB, Sr., Manchester, Conn.

Florida State:
Tamorrion Terry, WR, So., Ashburn, Ga.
Marvin Wilson, DT, Jr., Houston, Texas

Georgia Tech:
Jalen Camp, WR, Sr., Cumming, Ga.
David Curry, LB, Sr., Buford, Ga.

Louisville:
Seth Dawkins, WR, Sr., Columbus, Ohio
Dorian Etheridge, LB, Jr., Charleston, W.Va.

Miami:
K.J. Osborn, WR, Gr., Ypsilanti, Mich.
Shaquille Quarterman, LB, Sr., Orange Park, Fla.

North Carolina:
Charlie Heck, OT, Sr., Kansas City, Mo.
Myles Dorn, S, Sr., Charlotte, N.C.

NC State:
Justin Witt, OT, Jr., Chicago, Ill.
James Smith-Williams, DE, Gr., Raleigh, N.C.

Pitt:
Maurice Ffrench, WR, Sr., New Brunswick, N.J.
Dane Jackson, CB, Sr., Coraopolis, Pa.

Syracuse:
Tommy DeVito, QB, So., Cedar Grove, N.J.
Kendall Coleman, DE, Sr., Indianapolis, Ind.

Virginia:
Bryce Perkins, QB, Sr., Queen Creek, Ariz.
Bryce Hall, CB, Sr., Harrisburg, Pa.

Virginia Tech:
Dalton Keene, TE, Jr., Littleton, Colo.
Reggie Floyd, S, Sr., Manassas, Va.

Wake Forest:
Cade Carney, RB, Sr., Advance, N.C.
Justin Strnad, LB, Sr., Palm Harbor, Fla.

A.J. Dillon and the two Duke kids. I see UConn is letting the best in-state recruits get away.

Oh wait. Wrong thread.

#letthemrot

And now back to the ACC Media Days content.

I like giving it to a Senior. Wouldn't have mind seeing Moe or Evan Adams get a chance.
Sending Tommy is a smart move by Dino. It will be good for his development.

I'm torn between these two sentiments, but would lean towards having Tommy as a team representative. I think he is well spoken and makes a strong, confident impression from the interviews I have seen. He is poised to be the leader on offense, so let him start to carry that mantle by being "the man" at the ACC Media Days.
Symbolic? Yes. But I think Dino will first let him "talk the talk" because he has faith that he is prepared to "walk the walk."
I think it's bold.
I like it!

I'm torn between these two sentiments, but would lean towards having Tommy as a team representative. I think he is well spoken and makes a strong, confident impression from the interviews I have seen. He is poised to be the leader on offense, so let him start to carry that mantle by being "the man" at the ACC Media Days.
Symbolic? Yes. But I think Dino will first let him "talk the talk" because he has faith that he is prepared to "walk the walk."
I think it's bold.
I like it!
I think Babers is following the precedent of bringing his QB to ACC Media Days. Dungey went in 2016, 2017 and 2018. I think Zaire went for 3 years also. Both well spoken leaders.

I think Babers is following the precedent of bringing his QB to ACC Media Days. Dungey went in 2016, 2017 and 2018. I think Zaire went for 3 years also. Both well spoken leaders.
Understood, and I agree he is looking for those qualities. But they were both starters at the end of their freshman years, if I recall. Tommy is coming in with this being his first year as the recognized offense/team leader, so I would still call this bold as I think it makes a strong statement. Dino isn't hedging his bets. He likes what he has and he is broadcasting it to the media.
I'll be curious to hear some of the media and their take on this. Of course, it doesn't mean anything until it's proven on the field. But I see a little gamesmanship here.
Just my two cents, FWIW.

Smart move by Coach Babers in sending Tommy DeVito. It gets Tommy DeVito thinking and acting like the leader of an up and coming program. Kendall Coleman absolutely deserves it. I have faith in Coach Babers knowing exactly what he is doing. Go Orange!!!!!!!!

Dumb question - Cam you buy tickets for this event. I googled it and can’t find anything.

Yep.

What’s best for the ACC is having Clemson be a national force which is what they have been under Dabo. If this is what Dabo thinks is best for Clemson, then this is what is also best for the ACC.

I usually like Hale, but this is why he is a reporter and Dabo is one of the winningest coaches in College Football history all before his 50th birthday.

EDIT, also we should keep in mind that Teeshirt Tommy is in his 3rd year after enrolling early. He is not as young and inexperienced as it sounds when you use his athletic year (sophomore)

Last edited:
I've been listening to Mark Packer and Wes Durham the last two days on ACC radio. Wes is HIGH on Syracuse has week three as the game of the year and is looking at SU and UVA to be the next tier teams behind Clemson.

It's going to very interesting to see how the preseason stuff shakes out, not that it makes any material difference in how the season unfolds. The stats based guys models have significantly lower expectations because they aren't based on last year. Let's hope the program truly hit an inflection point and those models have to catch up to the new reality.

Nice to not be fighting to get that vote for 13th preseason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom