2019 Face Off Yearbook: Top Attack Units | Syracusefan.com

2019 Face Off Yearbook: Top Attack Units

Might extend top units to include Virginia with Krauss, Laviano with either Herring, Quinn and Cormier filling third attackman.

Can Cook crack through and Put SU attack unit back on the map ?
This is interesting! I had the exact same thought process, thinking can this attack unit be top 5 in the country with Voigt on it? Maybe in the top 4-5 rotation, but SU needs some other play makers. I sincerely hope Cook and Seebold can help push the unit into the top 5.

Few random thoughts -Seems like most teams on the list have two very good attackmen and a question mark for the third spot. I think Loyola will be better than fourth - Spencer's running mates were just freshmen last year, have to imagine they will improve. IL must be very high on Epstein - I know he was ranked #1, but seems aggressive to put a unit with a freshmen as the best. Think Yale will have to prove how much their success as a unit was due to Reeves. They seem ranked too high here given how much he meant to the team last year. Along with UVa, I think Maryland could have challenged for a spot with Bernhardt and Wisnauskas (gah!).

Really excited to see Cook play this year - I think for this team to be really good he is going to have to push for serious playing time.

Looking ahead, feels like SU's midfield could be in the top five, with three returning starters? Imagine Uva will be ranked number one. Interested to see how they feel about the defense - basically everyone except goalie returns but numbers weren't great last year.

Hopkins as the #1 attack unit is a very odd choice. Stanwick was the straw that stirred the drink so to speak, he is going to be a huge loss for that unit. Cole Williams is a really nice player but he's now going to be drawing each teams top defender and Marr while a pretty good shooter isn't much of a dodging threat desptie his assist numbers last year. As others have noted Epstein hasn't played as second at the D1 level yet so a bit presumptuous to really assume anything about him. I would expect to see JHU at around 5 not 1. I would take PSU and Cornell's attack units over Hopkins right now and possibly Virginia's as well.

Along with UVa, I think Maryland could have challenged for a spot with Bernhardt and Wisnauskas (gah!).

Maryland could well have the top attack unit. There is some chance that Fairman could move to the attack with Bernhardt and Wisnauskas, which I think would give Maryland the top group.
This would make Maryland's midfield rather inexperienced. A.DeMaio, who scored 13pts on the 2nd midfield being the only somewhat established player. Will Snyder got on the field a bit last year, but seemed to be playing more at the spot of a righty attackman - although it was obvious that midfield would be his best spot.
The advantage of Fairman at attack would be that Maryland would have Fairman, Bernhardt and Wisnauskas on for every offensive set.
Of course, the Terps might end up playing one of those schemes, like they did with Kelly last year, where Fairman stays on all the time but the Terps bring on a right-handed attackman (Shollenberger, Avanzato, Brickerd, Long) with the midfield unit, who then moves into the attack spot while Fairman plays out with the midfield.

Maryland could well have the top attack unit. There is some chance that Fairman could move to the attack with Bernhardt and Wisnauskas, which I think would give Maryland the top group.
This would make Maryland's midfield rather inexperienced. A.DeMaio, who scored 13pts on the 2nd midfield being the only somewhat established player. Will Snyder got on the field a bit last year, but seemed to be playing more at the spot of a righty attackman - although it was obvious that midfield would be his best spot.
The advantage of Fairman at attack would be that Maryland would have Fairman, Bernhardt and Wisnauskas on for every offensive set.
Of course, the Terps might end up playing one of those schemes, like they did with Kelly last year, where Fairman stays on all the time but the Terps bring on a right-handed attackman (Shollenberger, Avanzato, Brickerd, Long) with the midfield unit, who then moves into the attack spot while Fairman plays out with the midfield.

Based on Marylands losses at midfield the last few years I would have to think they are keeping Fairman at middie. While as you noted that would give them a potentially potent attack your robbing Peter to pay Paul and really weakening a midfield unit that already looks sketchy even with Fairman. Hard to count out Maryland but this seems to me like a semi-rebuild year at least from an offensive standpoint., the amount of offense talent lost to graduation the last 2 years is a massive and depth was an issue last year at it was. Shockey and the 3 main offensive guys are more then enough to carry Maryland to a high B10 finish if not champ but I wouldn't be shocked by an early tourney exit, this seems like a team that is a year away.

If Fairman was a guaranteed attack next year, then their attack would easily be top 5 and potentially number 1. Fairman was the most promising freshman not named Tehoka last year and Bernhardt and Wisnauskas are both excellent. If a couple new faces step up they should be dangerous once again.

I think a fair number of offensive players fall into the "Fairman" quandary - attackman or midfielder? LeClaire at OSU, Brad Smith at Duke come to mind first. I think coaches are trying harder and harder to create match up problems for defenses, leaving media members struggling on how to classify them. I wonder if the smaller substitution area and shot clock will tempt more coaches to move these hybrid players to attack full time? Can't create a mismatch if you are not on the field.

Based on Marylands losses at midfield the last few years I would have to think they are keeping Fairman at middie. While as you noted that would give them a potentially potent attack your robbing Peter to pay Paul and really weakening a midfield unit that already looks sketchy even with Fairman. Hard to count out Maryland but this seems to me like a semi-rebuild year at least from an offensive standpoint., the amount of offense talent lost to graduation the last 2 years is a massive and depth was an issue last year at it was. Shockey and the 3 main offensive guys are more then enough to carry Maryland to a high B10 finish if not champ but I wouldn't be shocked by an early tourney exit, this seems like a team that is a year away.

As I mention above, these things often get blurred in Tillman's offense. I think the desire to have Fairman on the field for almost every offensive set will outweigh the attack or midfield designation - much like it did for Kelly last year.

You could be right about the Terps, but they do have all season to develop some guys on the offense before getting to the NCAA tmt. Tillman is a pretty good NCAA tmt coach also. I tend to expect the Terps to struggle some early in the season as players step into new roles. How they are in April and May is sort of an unknown at the moment, until we see what the new guys bring to the field.

Few random thoughts -Seems like most teams on the list have two very good attackmen and a question mark for the third spot. I think Loyola will be better than fourth - Spencer's running mates were just freshmen last year, have to imagine they will improve. IL must be very high on Epstein - I know he was ranked #1, but seems aggressive to put a unit with a freshmen as the best. Think Yale will have to prove how much their success as a unit was due to Reeves. They seem ranked too high here given how much he meant to the team last year. Along with UVa, I think Maryland could have challenged for a spot with Bernhardt and Wisnauskas (gah!).

Really excited to see Cook play this year - I think for this team to be really good he is going to have to push for serious playing time.

Looking ahead, feels like SU's midfield could be in the top five, with three returning starters? Imagine Uva will be ranked number one. Interested to see how they feel about the defense - basically everyone except goalie returns but numbers weren't great last year.
I have no data but it seems to me that freshmen who play a lot in their first year seem to get hurt. Jojo, Tucker, Garnsey, Kavanaugh, and several others whose names escape me. Cook's a little guy. I'm old. I worry about these things.

Hear ya Sholly. Cook and Quinn are shorter but have strong bases. Quinn is built like a bull while Cook is sturdy similar to a younger Solomon. Frosh plays hard and does not shy from contact which is good but perhaps another reason to gradually integrate rather than quickly throw into heavy action. Long season ,he'll likely carve out good minutes but stay fresh. Like our talent and depth at attack. Think we 'd be in 6-10 list if IL extended.

Looking at returnees on 19"roster, noticed that many are heavier than last years listings. Younger team physically maturing and 18" class brought in good size. Positive as long as noted weight gains are muscle not fat

Looking at returnees on 19"roster, noticed that many are heavier than last years listings. Younger team physically maturing and 18" class brought in good size. Positive as long as noted weight gains are muscle not fat
Shahe has already surpassed his “freshman 15” now tipping the scales at 314lbs. Then again Rehfuss is down to 185 from 190...as if he was either.

Might extend top units to include Virginia with Krauss, Laviano with either Herring, Quinn and Cormier filling third attackman.

As reported in the Face-Off Yearbook print edition, Virginia will also be missing a five-star freshman for the season, as No. 26 recruit Payton Cormier (Oakville Trafalgar, Ont.) suffered a torn ACL in November. He was expected to make an impact as a lefty scorer early on, but will have to wait a year.

UNC's Will Bowen Suffers Season-Ending ACL Injury; More Transfer News

Unfortunate part of atheletics that happens too frequently. Wish more science was dedicated to lessening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom