2019 Fall Ball ... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Fall Ball ...

Who will be at Cortland this weekend to provide updates? I haven’t seen any streaming options?

It will be interesting to see who fills the vacant def spot, Kennedy to bump down? Freshman? Or Staats?

I would also be interested in the following -

The starting lineup in general, though agree with Woody, I am most interested in close defense. Also quite interested in who the third attackman is. Bonus points for keeping track of midfield lines.

How much time does Dordevic see, if at all?

Which freshmen see the most time? Does it look like they are playing more than "mop up minutes" at the end of the scrimmage?

General sense of how the team does on face-offs. Denver should be a good test, they have a solid guy returning and have the #1 FOGO recruit in the country.

If possible, goal scoring/assist numbers for the Orange. Curious how the Orange approach this game, it is a scrimmage but it will be against a top notch opponent. I expect a lot of mixing and matching, but wonder how much they will treat it as a real game.

Denver should be a good test of where we are at team defense wise. Tierney and co love their quick and constant ball movement, set plays or strategies, as well as some 2 man game type stuff. Will be good to see where Murphy and other potential starting longpoles are at with their IQ on D. As far as individual match ups go, we are catching a bit of a break as two of their best dodgers graduated. Austin French was their main initiator from attack and Colton Jackson was a fearsome middie dodger with a massive shot. Ethan Walker is still probably the best underhand shooter in the nation not named Mac O'Keefe, but I doubt he will be able to get much separation from Melen. Just pray for Drake Porter if he is left open. Besides them I don't know much, but Jack Hannah is a serious threat from what I've seen. Kennedy will probably go after him.

Besides that Danny Logan is their own resident Peter Dearth (wings on faceoffs, great SSDM, lethal in transition). Not sure about who they lose on D but at the very least Matt Neufeldt, the Maryland 5th year transfer, will be out of the picture, along with their goalie Alex Ready, who never really impressed me.

I would also be interested in the following -

The starting lineup in general, though agree with Woody, I am most interested in close defense. Also quite interested in who the third attackman is. Bonus points for keeping track of midfield lines.

How much time does Dordevic see, if at all?

Which freshmen see the most time? Does it look like they are playing more than "mop up minutes" at the end of the scrimmage?

General sense of how the team does on face-offs. Denver should be a good test, they have a solid guy returning and have the #1 FOGO recruit in the country.

If possible, goal scoring/assist numbers for the Orange. Curious how the Orange approach this game, it is a scrimmage but it will be against a top notch opponent. I expect a lot of mixing and matching, but wonder how much they will treat it as a real game.
I’m going to be surprised if any freshman sees much PT. We have such a large roster which includes 40+ returning players. With that being said combined with the fact that we run such a complex scheme that I’m not sure the Frosh have seen enough reps to fully grasp the game plan. (Other than mop up time)

Im interested to see how Scanlan has developed chemistry with Rehfuss. I believe we probably see Cook, Seabold, Tucker, and maybe Berkman all taking turns at that 3rd spot.

I think we will see DiPietro and Murphy down low with Mellen. I bet we will see Staats, Hull, and little Kennedy get a lot reps as well.

We have 20+ Mids I think on the roster. Will be very interested to see how the Kims, Quinn, and Magnan have improved.

We have 20+ Mids I think on the roster. Will be very interested to see how the Kims, Quinn, and Magnan have improved.

12 returning offensive mids, 6 SSDM's, plus another 5 incoming frosh.

Does anyone have a complete roster with uniform numbers? I know a bunch of guys changed their numbers and then there are the freshmen.

Does anyone have a complete roster with uniform numbers? I know a bunch of guys changed their numbers and then there are the freshmen.

Other than this, there's no further update

I’m going to be surprised if any freshman sees much PT. We have such a large roster which includes 40+ returning players. With that being said combined with the fact that we run such a complex scheme that I’m not sure the Frosh have seen enough reps to fully grasp the game plan. (Other than mop up time)

Im interested to see how Scanlan has developed chemistry with Rehfuss. I believe we probably see Cook, Seabold, Tucker, and maybe Berkman all taking turns at that 3rd spot.

I think we will see DiPietro and Murphy down low with Mellen. I bet we will see Staats, Hull, and little Kennedy get a lot reps as well.

Good point about the freshmen. This will be a very big roster, and you could get away with not playing any of them this year if none proved themselvles are "starter"worthy. A reserve unit could very easily look like the following, and play no freshmen -

Attack - Berkman, Aburn, Nelson, Lauder
Midfield - Andrew Kim, Justin Kim, Peter Fiorini, Jack Fiorini
Defense - Jack Kennedy, Hull, Staats/DiPietro
Goalie - Strang, Klan, McPeak

SU could consider red-shirting the whole class (they did this to the 2018 class who just left), and given that the next class isn't ranked that highly, maybe they should?

Good point about the freshmen. This will be a very big roster, and you could get away with not playing any of them this year if none proved themselvles are "starter"worthy. A reserve unit could very easily look like the following, and play no freshmen -

Attack - Berkman, Aburn, Nelson, Lauder
Midfield - Andrew Kim, Justin Kim, Peter Fiorini, Jack Fiorini
Defense - Jack Kennedy, Hull, Staats/DiPietro
Goalie - Strang, Klan, McPeak

SU could consider red-shirting the whole class (they did this to the 2018 class who just left), and given that the next class isn't ranked that highly, maybe they should?

I think they will RS as many as they can. Sometimes financial and post graduate job considerations makes it so a RS is not possible/viable. Its interesting that looking at next years class you could make the case that 2020 despite all the decommits (god those sucked) could actually come in higher ranked.

Birtwistle, Ferris, Erlbeck, Drago, Kol, and McGuire all have the chance to be top 100 guys. Not to mention a guy like Savage who was originally a Rutty commit who has blown up.

I think they will RS as many as they can. Sometimes financial and post graduate job considerations makes it so a RS is not possible/viable. Its interesting that looking at next years class you could make the case that 2020 despite all the decommits (god those sucked) could actually come in higher ranked.

Birtwistle, Ferris, Erlbeck, Drago, Kol, and McGuire all have the chance to be top 100 guys. Not to mention a guy like Savage who was originally a Rutty commit who has blown up.
I think you're overrating (overranking?) some of those guys. I watched as much Torrey Pines as possible and Erlbeck wasn't much of a factor. Ferris wasn't on IL's top 100 seniors, but I still like him. Kol and Drago were 95 and 99, so they may not stay in the top 100 next year. I actually really liked Saam Olexo's highlights.

I think you're overrating (overranking?) some of those guys. I watched as much Torrey Pines as possible and Erlbeck wasn't much of a factor. Ferris wasn't on IL's top 100 seniors, but I still like him. Kol and Drago were 95 and 99, so they may not stay in the top 100 next year. I actually really liked Saam Olexo's highlights.

Ya with Erlbeck I am hoping for a big senior season. I believe going into his Jr year he was a top 100 guy who fell out in the updated rankings. I think the talent is there. I am pretty high on Ferris though and think he is definitely a top 100 kid whose gone a bit overlooked. Not saying these guys replace the 3 top 40 attackmen we lost but I don't think there huge dropoffs either. Birtwhistle seems destined to only climb from where he is at, great late flip. Kol and Drago are right there as you noted, hopefully they both creep up ab it. I dont know much about Olexo but that is certainly encouraging. Wouldn't be the worst thing if Lewis or McGuire had a monster senior season as well. McGuire is the one early guy we held onto and is supposedly a player.

Scrimmages certainly serve a purpose but that varies on what is sought . 2018 fall season saw sluggish performances vs Marist and Vermont before terrible vs Yale and that carried over to opening game loss to Colgate before team settled in.

It's known what returning vets bring to table so eyes gonna be focused on a few players for a few open spots and Scanlan. Assume Cook starts at 3rd attack but expect Seebold to get good look. Expecting Dordevic to stay up top but experiment at attack by him or Curry certainly grab attention. Be looking for differences how offense operates under March.
Expect several vets to be shut down by mid 3rd though some may shift around on D. The others sophs mentioned at att and mid above probably run from late 3rd on. Hill missing but betting on a talented soph mid or two to emerge as a factor from that pack as Buttermore did last year ..
Dami return could free Helmer to grab a pole for cd or even lsm. Hoping to get a glance at Dieball and Aviles at dm.. DiPietro and Murphylikely start next to Mellen but Helmer likely showcases there and perhaps Kennedy as well. Process of filling out depth chart. Young Kennedy was showing well but told he's now out for fall with wrist injury. Not sure what story is with Lee but he wasn't practicing at season start and dont think Stats is ready to go. Porter and Strang entrenched 1-2 but thinking Katchurian can challenge to be 3rd goalie . Hopefully one of the young fogos can show enough to offer another look to Phaup-Varello.

Scrimmages certainly serve a purpose but that varies on what is sought . 2018 fall season saw sluggish performances vs Marist and Vermont before terrible vs Yale and that carried over to opening game loss to Colgate before team settled in.

It's known what returning vets bring to table so eyes gonna be focused on a few players for a few open spots and Scanlan. Assume Cook starts at 3rd attack but expect Seebold to get good look. Expecting Dordevic to stay up top but experiment at attack by him or Curry certainly grab attention. Be looking for differences how offense operates under March.
Expect several vets to be shut down by mid 3rd though some may shift around on D. The others sophs mentioned at att and mid above probably run from late 3rd on. Hill missing but betting on a talented soph mid or two to emerge as a factor from that pack as Buttermore did last year ..
Dami return could free Helmer to grab a pole for cd or even lsm. Hoping to get a glance at Dieball and Aviles at dm.. DiPietro and Murphylikely start next to Mellen but Helmer likely showcases there and perhaps Kennedy as well. Process of filling out depth chart. Young Kennedy was showing well but told he's now out for fall with wrist injury. Not sure what story is with Lee but he wasn't practicing at season start and dont think Stats is ready to go. Porter and Strang entrenched 1-2 but thinking Katchurian can challenge to be 3rd goalie . Hopefully one of the young fogos can show enough to offer another look to Phaup-Varello.

Thanks LS, great insight. All of your lineup predictions make sense - the fact that Murphy saw time at close last year in place of Bomberry should have been a clue the coaches saw him moving this year. I'm excited to see him there, think he adds a lot of athleticism that we haven't' seen in a while and will help replace some of Bomberry's aggressiveness. Also will be interestd to see how Staats fits into the lineup when he comes back.

Helmer should be very interesting to follow, he has always been very steady, but he got picked on a couple times last year at short stick. Wouldn't mind seeing him back at LSM, I think I like him as the backup to Kennedy more than I like Fernandez.

Curious how much they rotate the attackmen this year, so many options it will really be key to see how the coaches manage the workload there. Bummed to miss the scrimmage, hoping if there is no live feed (I'd be really surprised) there are at least highlights.

You say Hill is missing ... is he expected back to the team?

Believe he just meant missing from your list of a potential reserve lineup of non freshman. Would be a shame if he is actually "missing" as I believe he has a good deal of potential as an offball guy.

Thanks LS, great insight. All of your lineup predictions make sense - the fact that Murphy saw time at close last year in place of Bomberry should have been a clue the coaches saw him moving this year. I'm excited to see him there, think he adds a lot of athleticism that we haven't' seen in a while and will help replace some of Bomberry's aggressiveness. Also will be interestd to see how Staats fits into the lineup when he comes back.

Helmer should be very interesting to follow, he has always been very steady, but he got picked on a couple times last year at short stick. Wouldn't mind seeing him back at LSM, I think I like him as the backup to Kennedy more than I like Fernandez.

Curious how much they rotate the attackmen this year, so many options it will really be key to see how the coaches manage the workload there. Bummed to miss the scrimmage, hoping if there is no live feed (I'd be really surprised) there are at least highlights.

Not sure. Liked Hill but viable candidates abound. Bullish on Seebold and soph mids. Fernandez gb work on faceoffs was prime and his size not problematic vs most, believe one of the frosh lsm could competently fill out depth so a experienced Helmer may be legit option for a starting c/d spot if ssdm depth allows move. Pure defense can be same or more than last but Bomberry's absurd stick wont be replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom