2019 Fall Ball ... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Fall Ball ...

FD087DBA-9033-4203-B6F2-7841E5B0DA57.jpeg
8A1EFD7D-8151-4421-B7E4-FB8C064DEB67.jpeg
8162ACC8-B6C6-41C8-A94F-6054ACB900DB.jpeg
E2637E39-1A4A-4E88-ABC4-A1933E0B645B.jpeg

Syracuse

Curious about the actual length of time he’d been out, Tucker Dordevic picked up his iPhone yesterday and called for Siri. He knew his last game came against Cornell on April 10, 2018 —a 10-9 loss— but wasn’t positive how many days that added up to.

“509,” Dordevic’s phone answered. Looking back on it doesn’t make it seem that long, he said, but that wasn’t the case during the recovery stage. Saturday’s scrimmage marked the sophomore’s return to Syracuse’s lineup after missing the entire 2018 season due to a foot injury. As a freshman, Dordevic started all 15 games and notched 15 goals, creating a prominent role as a midfield for his final three years.

Less than five minutes into the Denver scrimmage, Dordevic corralled the ball after cutting to the attack area’s middle, swung his stick back and fired a shot past Pioneer goalie Josh Matte. Later in the second quarter, Dordevic faked a dodge on the left side before firing a cross-field pass to Owen Seebold, left alone behind the Pioneer defense.

“It was just awesome being back out there,” Dordevic said. “Had some butterflies at first, but it was just fun being back there.”

Dordevic’s return coincided with the Syracuse debut for one of the biggest transfers in recent history: Chase Scanlan. In his freshman season at Loyola, Scanlan tallied 43 goals and 58 points, complementing Tewaaraton Award winner Pat Spencer in a group that lasted until the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinal.

Scanlan’s addition was supposed to provide balance and creativity to an offense that lost its top-two scoring options — Bradley Voigt and Nate Soloman — from last year. On Saturday night, 11 different SU players tallied points. Griffin Cook had a hat trick, including one on a third-quarter Pioneer miscue when a clear attempt was dropped and Cook launched a shot into a wide-open net. Scanlan, Dordevic, Brendan Curry and Jamie Trimboli all notched two goals for SU.

Early in the third quarter, Chase Scanlan scooped up a groundball near the left post, but was immediately swarmed. One Denver defender closed in, while another took a swing on his way by. Scanlan turned around and began to back in, closing off his counterpart, and swung a shot past Denver freshman goalie Kaleb Stroman.

“The attack did OK for the time of year it is,” Desko said

After a 9-5 record last year, one that included a 2-2 record in conference play, the Orange had two gaping holes to fill. One was its attack, which the pickup of Scanlan and the return of Dordevic seemed to fill at least for Saturday. The other was replacing Tyson Bomberry and Marcus Cunningham on defense, a pair that combined to start 84 games the last four seasons.

A rough first quarter on the defensive end put the Orange in an early hole, both Desko and Dordevic said. On many of Denver’s tallies in the first 15 minutes, SU goalie Drake Porter was often left alone to face a shot. Pioneers rotated behind the Orange defense and found ways to draw out defenders and create passing lanes. But SU sharpened up its defense for the next 42 minutes, only breaking down during Denver’s fourth-quarter comeback.

One other notable thing is that Nate Garlow did extremely well at the face off X. Face offs were a little odd as it seemed like either team won the clamp/got the ball very easily without too many scrums involving the wingmen. Garlow was right there with Phaup and Varello winning face offs seemingly with ease, but occasionally giving up easy ones as well. His percentage seemed about the same as theirs, but I believe varello was the best of the three. We also started to clearly win the majority by the second half, with it about even in the first.

Not sure if Denver was using their new number 1 fogo recruit or not actually. Definitely were using multiple guys but i never caught names. He is supposed to be the next big thing so if we were handling him just as easily as their starter last year that is a good sign.

DocLex spot on with fogo analysis. . Varello particularly impressive and Garlow has greatly improved. Phaup also performed well. Many clean wins with few scrums on either side and the few breaks out of box were stunted by wings. Denver fogos are indeed good so our fogo performances were very encouraging

Thanks LS, great insight. All of your lineup predictions make sense - the fact that Murphy saw time at close last year in place of Bomberry should have been a clue the coaches saw him moving this year. I'm excited to see him there, think he adds a lot of athleticism that we haven't' seen in a while and will help replace some of Bomberry's aggressiveness. Also will be interestd to see how Staats fits into the lineup when he comes back.

Helmer should be very interesting to follow, he has always been very steady, but he got picked on a couple times last year at short stick. Wouldn't mind seeing him back at LSM, I think I like him as the backup to Kennedy more than I like Fernandez.

Curious how much they rotate the attackmen this year, so many options it will really be key to see how the coaches manage the workload there. Bummed to miss the scrimmage, hoping if there is no live feed (I'd be really surprised) there are at least highlights.

You say Hill is missing ... is he expected back to the team?
Powell previous points on Helmer were prescient. He ran at both lsm n close as did Kennedy and the play of both was notable. D at best when that particular combo were on field together however combined.
Prefer Helmer with long better than shortie but he was missed at ssdm with Barlow out and Oladuyne still getting up to speed. Kennedy speed n physicality could immediately help Babers secondary. DiPietro was active and he moved well. Still taken with Cook, he answered open questions about 3rd attack with his play. Seebold goal was beautiful lefty rip, he looked so much more comfortable n his considerable talent apparent . Both Denver n Cuse played starters / core extensively n the intensity level was high for a scrimmage. First quater saw sloppy turnovers n some breakdowns but team looked good from beginning on 2q on once they settled. Thought our aggressive play began to wear Denver down. Magnan was the one mid candidate in very early n he responded with a rip . Other subbing happened around 7 minute mark with cuse up four. No Hill sighting. D players Barlow,, younger kennedy , Hull, Lee all sidelined . Not sure where late breakdowns were that allowed Denver rally during that span but lsm Shulter looked good and Lauder on O . Left feeling good about what I watched from most all

There were some scraps off the wings. Things got really physical at times all over the field. It did not have the feel of a scrimmage.
Exactly. Felt like the middle of the season. For what it was the crowd was quite large and very enthusiastic. Kennedy basically got a standing ovation after that one ground ball play. We had about 6 huge hits too. Refs were really letting them play.

It had been quite awhile since Syracuse lacrosse midfielder Tucker Dordevic had played against an opponent wearing a different jersey.

Five hundred and nine days, to be exact. That’s how long had flipped off the calendar since Cornell beat SU in the 2018 NCAA Tournament, ending the Orange’s season. Dordevic was a freshman then, and he missed all of last year with a broken foot.

So when he returned to the field on Saturday, Dordevic had a lot of ground to make up.

Dordevic buried three goals as the Orange tied Denver 15-15 in a scrimmage at SUNY-Cortland. Griffin Cook scored twice for SU, as did Jamie Trimboli and Brendan Curry. Matt Mangan, Stephen Rehfuss, David Lipka, Chase Scanlan, Owen Seebold and Troy Lauder each scored once.

The teams played their starters for roughly three quarters, after which SU led 12-11. Orange goalie Drake Porter was in net for that full span.

Dordevic was understandably the happiest Orange player on the field. He buried Syracuse’s first goal of the game.

“First of all, it’s just great to have him back. We noticed first day of practice that No. 23 was back, so that was good to see,” said Syracuse coach John Desko. “Tonight, he was just so anxious to play. He was pretty excited to get back out there and knock heads against somebody else.”

Dordevic said he was curious exactly how long it had been since that Cornell game, so he asked Siri for help. The virtual assistant spit out the answer of 509 days.

“We have such a fun group of guys to play with, it makes it even more enjoyable being back out there,” Dordevic said. “It was just awesome being out there. I was definitely a little nervous at first. I had some butterflies. But it was just fun being back out there.”

On defense, senior Nick Mellen is the only returning close defender for SU. Brett Kennedy, Nick DiPietro and Andrew Helmer took turns at that position in the scrimmage as they compete for the other two starting spots.

Mellen has pulled on the prestigious No. 11 this season. That number is traditionally sported by the team’s best defender, a description that certainly fits the All-American. Austin Fusco wore the number last year for SU.

Syracuse is also looking to fill two open positions at starting attack, to go along with veteran Rehfuss. Cook, Seebold and Scanlan got a lot of time rotating with Rehfuss up front. Scanlan is a transfer from Loyola who primarily played midfield at that school.

“I loved the fact that my teammates all work hard for each other,” Scanlan said. “Overall, I thought we had a great start to the season, connecting together, meshing together. We can only get better from here. I’ve got to thank my teammates, my coaches, for just allowing me to play confident.”
Great ball movement on O tonight, team movement very effective. really dynamic on the rides as Denver struggled to clear. I had the ride with four or five caused turnovers great collective effort also had Cook with three

It had been quite awhile since Syracuse lacrosse midfielder Tucker Dordevic had played against an opponent wearing a different jersey.

Five hundred and nine days, to be exact. That’s how long had flipped off the calendar since Cornell beat SU in the 2018 NCAA Tournament, ending the Orange’s season. Dordevic was a freshman then, and he missed all of last year with a broken foot.

So when he returned to the field on Saturday, Dordevic had a lot of ground to make up.

Dordevic buried three goals as the Orange tied Denver 15-15 in a scrimmage at SUNY-Cortland. Griffin Cook scored twice for SU, as did Jamie Trimboli and Brendan Curry. Matt Mangan, Stephen Rehfuss, David Lipka, Chase Scanlan, Owen Seebold and Troy Lauder each scored once.

The teams played their starters for roughly three quarters, after which SU led 12-11. Orange goalie Drake Porter was in net for that full span.

Dordevic was understandably the happiest Orange player on the field. He buried Syracuse’s first goal of the game.

“First of all, it’s just great to have him back. We noticed first day of practice that No. 23 was back, so that was good to see,” said Syracuse coach John Desko. “Tonight, he was just so anxious to play. He was pretty excited to get back out there and knock heads against somebody else.”

Dordevic said he was curious exactly how long it had been since that Cornell game, so he asked Siri for help. The virtual assistant spit out the answer of 509 days.

“We have such a fun group of guys to play with, it makes it even more enjoyable being back out there,” Dordevic said. “It was just awesome being out there. I was definitely a little nervous at first. I had some butterflies. But it was just fun being back out there.”

On defense, senior Nick Mellen is the only returning close defender for SU. Brett Kennedy, Nick DiPietro and Andrew Helmer took turns at that position in the scrimmage as they compete for the other two starting spots.

Mellen has pulled on the prestigious No. 11 this season. That number is traditionally sported by the team’s best defender, a description that certainly fits the All-American. Austin Fusco wore the number last year for SU.

Syracuse is also looking to fill two open positions at starting attack, to go along with veteran Rehfuss. Cook, Seebold and Scanlan got a lot of time rotating with Rehfuss up front. Scanlan is a transfer from Loyola who primarily played midfield at that school.

“I loved the fact that my teammates all work hard for each other,” Scanlan said. “Overall, I thought we had a great start to the season, connecting together, meshing together. We can only get better from here. I’ve got to thank my teammates, my coaches, for just allowing me to play confident.”
attack rides were ferocious and effective, forced several DU turnovers which two immediately turned into goals. Really like how quickly the ball moved around the perimeter; finding matchups w shorties most effectively while valuing possessions and not forcing the ball inside. Clearly some rust to buff out with regard to the offsides (one of which called back a really nice inside goal by Cook), but that’s Fall Ball.
Seebold w strong finishes, looked very assertive out there, Scanlan very smooth and Dordevic stronger and faster than his frosh year, wow do they bring weapons to the offensive party.
Gonna be a fun year!

Further icing on the cake was the good play of Quinn when in.

Similar to us, Denver lost some vets on D but also very clear that they once again possess good talent. Both squads can draw positives from that hard fought scrimmage

Kennedy was flagged for that hit
Shouldn't have been. Bang bang play in 1/2 sec game speed. Kennedy has right to his space ,never any matador d from him but was kind with clean check to numbers, could have blasted with shoulder as UK said. No call on Varello swing nor on several slashes by Denver on rides as carriers shrugged off. Officials let them play for most part as they should. Still think Denver went 4/4 on man up as they were very crisp moving ball against our man down. Contested game benefitted both squads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom