2019 Fall Camp: Practice Day #3, Monday, 8/5/2019 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Fall Camp: Practice Day #3, Monday, 8/5/2019

To me, the thing that's exciting about a prospect like Courtney Jackson being too good to keep off the field is that it doesn't just give us warm bodies to throw out there -- the opposition would have to cover somebody like that with a DIME CB, or a safety. Advantage: us.

ALSO, very surprised to see Tisdale running with the 1's @ OL. Hope it means that he's ready to contribute quickly -- either as a starter or as a reserve. Certainly bodes well.
Staff was very excited to get Tisdale. His JUCCO was undefeated and he was a starter. Kid also has 3 seasons of eligibility left. Seems like he and Davis are battling to be fifth starter.

If Jackson is running with the 1s, who is he bumping for PT? Johnson?

I mean, Johnson's pretty good. He caught 40 passes last season. If that's the guy he's better than, that's pretty interesting.

I mean, Johnson's pretty good. He caught 40 passes last season. If that's the guy he's better than, that's pretty interesting.
Iron sharpens Iron. He's gonna make Nykiem work hard. Couple of years ago, if Phillips were to get injured we would be doomed at the slot position. Now we have 3 studs and 3 other guys that would be serviceable there. The scary thing is Riley is gonna have a big year too. Got better each year. He's a senior who knows the offense more than anyone. He knows how to find space and read a defense. He will be the only Wr going into his 4th year in the system. Phillips Ishmael Etta Tawo and Estime didnt have that luxury.

Iron sharpens Iron. He's gonna make Nykiem work hard. Couple of years ago, if Phillips were to get injured we would be doomed at the slot position. Now we have 3 studs and 3 other guys that would be serviceable there. The scary thing is Riley is gonna have a big year too. Got better each year. He's a senior who knows the offense more than anyone. He knows how to find space and read a defense. He will be the only Wr going into his 4th year in the system. Phillips Ishmael Etta Tawo and Estime didnt have that luxury.
Yeah, I'm pretty curious to see what Riley does. I feel like so far he's mostly been a safety valve as opposed to a guy that really changed the game, albeit a highly productive one. What does it look like when he takes the next step?

Yeah, I'm pretty curious to see what Riley does. I feel like so far he's mostly been a safety valve as opposed to a guy that really changed the game, albeit a highly productive one. What does it look like when he takes the next step?
Safety valve? His consistency and reliability makes him a valuable player. One of the best overall football players in the ACC because of what he does for the return game. He also was our leader in receptions as a junior. I expect more as a senior as long as he's healthy.

Last edited:

Nykiem is still working his way back from an injury if Im not mistaken so maybe Courtney is taking his reps right now.

Interesting that they're sliding Tisdale in at guard.

Would love to get a Nunn report.

I don't see it that way, OiG. This offensive system doesn't necessarily need a traditional #1 receiver, or a pecking order. If you put several top flight guys out there, then the defense has to COVER those guys -- which becomes difficult when they are all good. And Riley likely benefited from having some team's 3rd, 4th, or 5th DB on them. Ditto Harris. And the QB can go through his reads and pick the guy who is open.

Jackson being a stud just puts that much more pressure on opposing defenses' ability to cover.

Safety valve? His consistency and reliability makes him a valuable player. One of the best overall football players in the ACC because of what he does for the return game. He also was are leader in receptions as a junior. I expect more as a senior as long as he's healthy.
Yeah, bad oversight on my part to discount his impact to specials.

I guess my comment on safety valve is I felt like he was always the guy Dungey looked to for a short bail out, especially since we didn't involve TEs much, and it felt like when we wanted to make a bigger play it was going to Custis, Harris and even Johnson. Riley soaked up a lot of short receptions. There's huge value there, but those aren't the kind of plays that really stand out. He's going to end up pretty high on our all-time reception list though, which is not bad for a guy that when he first popped on the field looked like a 12 year old. ;)

Yeah, bad oversight on my part to discount his impact to specials.

I guess my comment on safety valve is I felt like he was always the guy Dungey looked to for a short bail out, especially since we didn't involve TEs much, and it felt like when we wanted to make a bigger play it was going to Custis, Harris and even Johnson. Riley soaked up a lot of short receptions. There's huge value there, but those aren't the kind of plays that really stand out. He's going to end up pretty high on our all-time reception list though, which is not bad for a guy that when he first popped on the field looked like a 12 year old. ;)
Thats a good observation and I agree that the perception is that it was all short stuff. It mostly was but he has more intermediate catches then we think (NC State comes to mind). Those little catch and runs where he gets a additional 5 or 6 yards on quick passes matters. It extends drives. Thats what slot Wr's do but you are right, I would like to see him catch a occasional fade ball from the slot. He made a long catch and run in the spring game. I feel goof about him because Ive seen a increase in production every year with him. Why wouldn't we expect more big plays from him as a senior? He showed it in the spring game and he had three 100 yard receiving games last year I think he can get 5 this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom