2019 MLB Playoffs thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2019 MLB Playoffs thread

The day began with the Braves hopes crushed in the first inning and ended with the Dodgers hopes crushed in the 10th inning. They had about the same looks on their faces.

I'd almost take the way my Braves lost. At least we didn't even have time to get our hopes up before our hearts got crushed. What do you think OrangeDW ?

I'd almost take the way my Braves lost. At least we didn't even have time to get our hopes up before our hearts got crushed. What do you think OrangeDW ?

It’s embarrassment vs heartbreak. Never good to be in the record books (10 run inning) but at least you were at peace sooner.

Dodgers were both. Obviously heartbreaking but also in the record books, highest regular season win total to lose in a DS.

As a Yankee fan I’ve been there on a much grander scale. See 2004.

All I can say is that life does indeed go on.

Red Sox won game 7 in 2004 ALCS in a blowout it kinda sucked as my Yankee fan friends had given up and were in concede mode the whole time after Pedro gave them 5 minutes of life and me a heart palpitation.
It’s easier to lose in a blowout because the other team dominated you. A close loss hurts more. See game 7 2003 ALCS that is why 2004 was so important.

Red Sox won game 7 in 2004 ALCS in a blowout it kinda sucked as my Yankee fan friends had given up and were in concede mode the whole time after Pedro gave them 5 minutes of life and me a heart palpitation.
It’s easier to lose in a blowout because the other team dominated you. A close loss hurts more. See game 7 2003 ALCS that is why 2004 was so important.

That's pretty much how I see it. We just got beat. Realistically, it sucks now but most preseason predictions had either the Nationals or Phillies winning the division and many had the Braves in 3rd so I can't be totally disappointed with the season.

That's pretty much how I see it. We just got beat. Realistically, it sucks now but most preseason predictions had either the Nationals or Phillies winning the division and many had the Braves in 3rd so I can't be totally disappointed with the season.
You will enjoy Mookie next year.

OrangeDW Nathan Eovaldi and Chris Sale for Joe Kelly and Clayton Kershaw.
Both goats from yesterday get out of town.
Eovaldi gives you guys another pitcher for the playoffs.
Sox probably throw in some money.

I still can't blame Roberts for bringing in Kershaw. Even after giving up one homer, he was probably still a good choice to face a lefty in Soto.

The Joe Kelly move however is a real headscratcher,

Maeda has been really good and is used to the role. If Kershaw had historically pitched in the playoffs like he does in the regular season, Id understand it. He didn’t even pitch well the other day. I don’t understand why he still tries to go to him at every opportunity in the playoffs - on short rest, and out of the pen.

Yes. Because I would’ve went to bed on time if the game was over in the first inning.

Instead I was up until 12:30-1:00 AM just to watch them lose like that.

Now I’m on short rest, and I’m not any better than most of these pitchers are on short rest.

You will enjoy Mookie next year.

You Think that’s realistic because I’d be beyond thrilled to get another outfielder like that?

You Think that’s realistic because I’d be beyond thrilled to get another outfielder like that?
Ozzie Albies and a prospect for Mookie.
It’s going to happen IMO. Cause the Sox ownership sucks.
Mookie is from Nashville.

Assuming this holds...

The AL is guaranteed home field advantage in the WS

HOU 107
NYY 103
TB 96

WAS 93
STL 91
Would the Rays host the Cards? Wild card vs. division winner.

Clayron Kershaw

Career:
Regular Season ERA - 2.44
Post-Season - 4.33 (in 158 innings which is not a small sample size)
Karrma - his constant warming up in Game 4, Fox following him like he was the story and he tonight he delivers what he always does ...nothing. Managers - Hinch, Roberts - need to stop letting "legends" impact their decisions.

Gosh I'd hate to give up Ozzie after the season he had and having him signed already but have to give up something to get something.

I hope the Braves resign Donaldson and I'd see if we can afford Gerrit Cole. We have good starters but we need an ace. I'd look into resigning Keuchel at the right price but not for ace money because he's not one. He's a good 2 or 3 pitcher imho. Melancon did ok after the trade and glad to have him back next year but wouldn't mind to see what closers might be available. Basically, we have a new stadium and ownership needs to open the pocketbook now.

Gosh I'd hate to give up Ozzie after the season he had and having him signed already but have to give up something to get something.

I hope the Braves resign Donaldson and I'd see if we can afford Gerrit Cole. We have good starters but we need an ace. I'd look into resigning Keuchel at the right price but not for ace money because he's not one. He's a good 2 or 3 pitcher imho. Melancon did ok after the trade and glad to have him back next year but wouldn't mind to see what closers might be available. Basically, we have a new stadium and ownership needs to open the pocketbook now.
Cole is going to one of the 4 CA teams IMO.
Braves have money to spend though. Donaldson is a stud but I wouldn’t give him more than 3 years at most 4 100 million.
Madison Bumgarner to the Braves is my bet. He is a big country kid from NC in Braves Territory.

I'll say this - so happy the Nat in the 4 hole is Soto and not Harper.

Cannot believe Dave Martinez outmanaged anyone but he pushed the right buttons in this series, and very happy for Howie.

Zero chance Boston gets that return. Betts is the better player now, but he will cost way to much, and is 5 years older.

Albies is on a sweetheart contract that makes him one of the most valuable trade assets in baseball.N.
Getting paid until 2027, at $7m/year. And for some reason if he dies out, the Braves have a team option for the last 2 years.

Instead of that contract you would lose, or sign Betts, to an expensive deal that extends until the likely downward phase of his career.

By 2024 I don't think Betts would be better than Albies. Take the extra $20 million you save by keeping Albies and invest it elsewhere.

Zero reason for the Braves not to build on their young core who are just getting playoff experience.

Karrma - his constant warming up in Game 4, Fox following him like he was the story and he tonight he delivers what he always does ...nothing. Managers - Hinch, Roberts - need to stop letting "legends" impact their decisions.

The Dodgers didn’t get to 106 wins by running kershaw and his 89 mph heater out of the pen in the late innings to face the heart of the order

Maeda has been really good and is used to the role. If Kershaw had historically pitched in the playoffs like he does in the regular season, Id understand it. He didn’t even pitch well the other day. I don’t understand why he still tries to go to him at every opportunity in the playoffs - on short rest, and out of the pen.

Kershaw was dominant against the first lefty he faced.
Rendon hit a really good pitch for a homer (like good hitters to)
Based on that feedback you have to keep him in the game for the lefty Soto. He then served a meatball to Soto.

You could argue he should not have come in (based on his past, and just based on what starters that shift in out do). That in my next post.

Someone earlier posted the record of starters going on 3 days rest and how it is ineffective. I would like to see the ERA of starters who come out of the bullpen in between starts. To me it is a strategy that has not worked out well over the years.

I do remember some epic performances like Madison Bumgarner game 7, and Pedro Martinez way back in 1999. But the strategies of bringing them in for a 1 or 2 inning stint has not wen that well overall.

Part of the reason these starters now have to go in the pen, is because of the ridiculous analytics around "3rd time around the lineup". Yes the analytics are correct in that a typical starter will do worst at that point then a typical reliever.

So if the starter is reeling a bit sure take him out. But MLB managers now pull out a starter before he even gets in trouble. If the starter is rolling he is not having a typical game, and there is no reason a reliever will come in and do any better.

But worse, this strategy of going to the bullpen too early forces all these situations where starters come in, and messes up your rotation and bullpen for the remainder of a series.

Worst is that teams that employ this streagy often do not have great bullpens. I can see the Yankees and say the Royals (2015) riding the pen hard, but they had great pens, and they used actual relievers.

End o all over the placef rant.

The term "upset" is rarely used in baseball. the game is played in rotations. You can't bat Cody Bellinger every time or pitch Clayton Kershaw every time and you are a different team with a different batter at the plate or a different pitcher on the mounds. There used to be minimal physical contact between teams: now there is none. There is no blocking, tackling or checking into the boards. You can't physically force the other team to lose. Defense doesn't generate offense and offense can't make defense irrelevant. You get into the playoffs and how many regular season wins you had is irrelevant. We've had a World Series between two wild card teams.

That makes for an exciting post season but it also means that the best team is least likely to win in the sport that has the longest season, (they play twice as many games as basketball and hockey and ten times as many as football). It's also a summer sport that becomes much less appealing in cold weather. The World Series used to be in early October. then it was in mid October. Now it's in late October or November. The expanded playoffs have virtually eliminated true pennant races. the only race that matters down the stretch is the Wild Card race and that only heats up in the final week. August and September used to be about the baseball pennant races. Now they are about Hard Knocks and the beginning of the football season. people look at October baseball and say "Gee, are those guys still playing?"

That's why I liked the four divisional set-up more than the current six division set up with the wild card. Add two expansion teams and make it four 8 team divisions. Baseball had two 8 team leagues for 60 years and every team that made the World Series in those 60 years was at least 20 games over .500 and had the best record in their league. They played 7 game series which ended in warm weather. The best team almost always won. Baseball, with no or little broadcast revenue, survived a depression, two world wars and it's own apartheid. Fans of the also-rans didn't lose interest, at least not enough that they went out of business. And today they remain afloat from TV money anyway.

I remember a debate about this, (I think we were using the Connecticut board for baseball at the time), in 2005 about this and other posters were incredulous that I wouldn't want the Yankees and the Red Sox meeting in a post season series every year, just as they had in two classic series the previous two years. The league had set things up so those two teams would play a four game series to end the regular season in Fenway Park. Everybody looked forward to that. But they had both guaranteed themselves playoff positions before that series, which became Scranton vs. Pawtucket as a result. Everybody said, "So what? They'll be playing for the AL championship in a couple weeks anyway." The next time the Yankees and Red Sox met in the post season was last year- in a divisional series.

Zero chance Boston gets that return. Betts is the better player now, but he will cost way to much, and is 5 years older.

Albies is on a sweetheart contract that makes him one of the most valuable trade assets in baseball.N.
Getting paid until 2027, at $7m/year. And for some reason if he dies out, the Braves have a team option for the last 2 years.

Instead of that contract you would lose, or sign Betts, to an expensive deal that extends until the likely downward phase of his career.

By 2024 I don't think Betts would be better than Albies. Take the extra $20 million you save by keeping Albies and invest it elsewhere.

Zero reason for the Braves not to build on their young core who are just getting playoff experience.
Mookie just turned 27.
I think he would give the Braves a hometown discount. Like an arenado deal 8 years 280.
After Trout he is probably the best all-around player. Speed, average, power, arm, defensive range.

I think when the Red Sox trade Mookie this offseason the Braves and now the Dodgers are the top spots.
The Sox May be able to get the Dodgers to absorb another contract with Mookie that the Braves wouldn’t.
One of Sale, Price, Eovaldi with Mookie for a dodgers less elite package is more likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom