2019 Yankees Thread... | Page 102 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Yankees Thread...

He clearly shortened his swing. Those first two pitches were probably as hard as he's ever swung a bat.

Yes he did, just like he did with that freaking 2 RBI "triple" he slapped the day before. I had some really uncomfortable thoughts during that AB. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm more concerned that our closer after going up 0-2, needed 11 more pitches to put him away. Yes, he got it done, but that was definitively unconvincing.
It's a fair concern, Chapman is an odd duck.

That said, he's much more often than not getting it done.

It's hard playing in Rivera's shadow.

It's a fair concern, Chapman is an odd duck.

That said, he's much more often than not getting it done.

It's hard playing in Rivera's shadow.

I don't disagree, perhaps we've been spoiled. But for $11M I think expecting a little better than 30 of 35 is not unfair. He hasn't seemed the same since he spit the bit against d'Arnaud last month.

I don't disagree, perhaps we've been spoiled. But for $11M I think expecting a little better than 30 of 35 is not unfair. He hasn't seemed the same since he spit the bit against d'Arnaud last month.
Just curious, what's the cut off for you in terms of saves vs attempts?

Just curious, what's the cut off for you in terms of saves vs attempts?

To me, 5 blown saves, which projects to 7, feels like a lot for what should be the best closer in the game.

But maybe it's ok, just combined with how close he flies to the sun, it scares me for October.

To me, 5 blown saves, which projects to 7, feels like a lot for what should be the best closer in the game.

But maybe it's ok, just combined with how close he flies to the sun, it scares me for October.
I think it's not unfair to expect at least 90% from the uppermost level.
I looked it up quick, unfortunately it doesn't look like the table sorts:

MLB Baseball Best Closers of 2019 - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Of the guys with higher saves total, Yates of the Padres has both the most total saves and the best save percentage at 91.7. Hand (Indians) and Smith (Giants) are both barely over 90%. Iglesias (Reds) is next best at 88.5% and then Chapman and Hader (Brewers) are pretty much tied. Colome (White Sox) and Vasquez (Pirates are both over 95% but with a lot less chances to close.

Apropos of nothing, it cracks me up that the Mets closer has an ERA over 5.

Need to get Voigt back as Ford is really struggling at the plate.

Gio is the new Babe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom