2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Apologies for misreading your post, and thanks for clarifying.

Rice was a better HOF candidate when people really focused on AVG/HR/RBI -- he probably would not get in now.

But talking about Boston outfielders from that era I think Dewey Evans was way under appreciated. I think he starts to benefit from people relying more on Advanced Stats and WAR for comparison, and the fact that he was a good defensive outfielder. He had a somewhat similar career to Walker... certainly had a better career than harold Baines!

The crazy thing about Jim Rice; he was elected only a decade ago!!

Harold Baines is a really bad selection

Who was the lone a$$hat who didn't vote for Jeter? SMH...

Someone who thinks it's all themselves instead of the players. It's no secret I'm hardly a Yankees fan, but that drives me crazy when votes make it about themselves and their agendas rather than what they are supposed to do - vote for the players who they think deserve to make it.

i would have voted for Jeter.

That being said...

If someone made the argument that Rivera deserves to be unanimous while Jeter does not because Mo was the unequivocal GOAT at the position, while Jeter, while in the discussion, is not...if someone made that argument I would listen.

I feel bad that Jeter missed unanimity by one vote, and also gotta think that voter didnt think he'd be the only one..i actually expected him to miss by a couple dozen votes...

BBWAA needs to get off it's high horse. If avowed and unapologetic cheater Gaylord Perry is in, everybody else should be in.

so Mad Dog Russo said yesterday that Bonds last year for eligibility is the first year for A-Rod and Ortiz,. That will be an interesting ballot - IF mad Dog is correct.

so Mad Dog Russo said yesterday that Bonds last year for eligibility is the first year for A-Rod and Ortiz,. That will be an interesting ballot - IF mad Dog is correct.
Ortiz isn’t a first ballot guy IMo.
He will get in but I think it will take 2 or 3 tries.
A-Rod isn’t getting in.
I think Bonds and Clemens will make it next year with Schilling.

I could certainly do that on a separate trip. I do like to take golf trips to places, and combine golf and baseball stadium visits, so had already planned to do some weekend like that around Cooperstown.

I will never have a chance to see an induction ceremony for a prominent Montreal Expo again, and I always regretted not going to see Tim Raines... it's a bucket list item for me. You have to note, that even though they are dead for 17 years, they are still my most cherished sports team ever. I think its because I like getting kicked in the nuts over and over.
Don't count it out this year, there are only 2 people getting inducted while last year there were 4 including Mike Mussina which was another reason to bring in a ton of Yankee fans. I don't know where you'd be traveling from but you could always stay in Utica and drive in for the day. You'd be able to find parking but expect to pay $40 on Sunday.

Regarding the induction ceremony:
it takes place at Clark's Sports Center which is a huge field about 5 blocks from Main St. You'd certainly be able to find a place to sit although they do let people bring chairs & blankets down all day Saturday to claim a space, keep that in mind.

There are places to buy food and drink but you can bring in your own as well.

Since it's an open field you don't have to go through security anywhere (there were sharp shooters with binoculars on top of the roof of the building and tanks with military personnel were stationed around the parameter.)

There is very little shade and they don't allow umbrellas so make sure you prepare for a day of sunshine. Last year induction weekend was during the heat dome in the east, my brother and I sat there for 4 hours in blazing heat.

Last year if I recall there were about 60,000 people there. I'm glad I went but I wouldn't go a 2nd time, the parade through town was much more fun and you get to see all of the prior HOF'ers that made the trip to play in their annual golf tournament. During the parade if the weather is nice they sit in the back of pickup trucks and drive down Main St.

1579705496666.png

A-Rod isn’t getting in.

sox fan here. Ortiz will get in IMO but agree it wont be first ballot.

I dont think bonds and Clemens get in.

here is a good visual of Clark's Sport Center field. I was sitting on the left near that first white canopy

InductionCrowd2.jpg

Last edited:
A-Rod isn’t getting in.

That would be funny if all 3 went in together. Grab a fourth polarizing player to go with them and you'd have the best heel stable since evolution

1579714810273.png

I think Bonds and Clemens get in next year.

We have seen many voters give way in the final year of eligibility to get people in. I think a few voters will have a change of heart (it increases slowly each year for this factor), and I think some always intended to vote for them but will make them wait out the full eligibility period.Reply

At 70%, its very rare not to the take the next step, so can see the third villain in Schilling as well.

Make Pete Rose eligible and you have the 4th.
And then it would be fitting if no one except their families showed up for the induction ceremony.

And then it would be fitting if no one except their families showed up for the induction ceremony.
Schilling is a MAGA idiot but he isn’t a cheater like the other 2 and Rose IMO should never go in.
You bet on the game while you part of it nope. If it wasn’t baseball I would be okay but betting on your team nope. Never.

Thanks for info KellySyracuse
So my sister rented her house for induction weekend - to Larry Walker and his family! That rules out the party to see Jeter inducted but after seeing Mo go in last year I'm okay with it. I will miss the parade though but can't blame her, they got a ton of money for the house for 4 days.

Anyone who cheated by taking performance enhancing drugs is out. Period. We know who they are. Why reward them padding their stats by cheating.

Justify it, finesse it, equivocate it or mitigate it any way you want, but willfully partaking of known illegal substances (as per MLB) to prolong or enhance careers is cause for ineligibility and is a gross disservice to those who didn't take them (and yes, in some cases these PEDs didn't exist and would have been a temptation for players in an earlier era).
One ex: Barry Bonds never hit more than 60 or even 50 home runs his entire career except when he hit 73 at age 36.

I'm not going to respond to counter arguements I'm all to familiar with. You may have them, but nothing will obviate the fact that these guys cheated - knowingly and some even twice. Therefore they should be barred. I'm usually more considerate about issues, but to me this issue is so egregious and so binary that the HoF should just say no to cheaters - especially the ones who deny it.
The HOF has spoken: cheaters are already in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom