2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Bill
I think that's true to some extent, but I guess I don't think it's too extreme. I don't think Harold Baines should've come close to getting in, and Alan Trammell is probably a "Hall of Really Good" player.

I might be missing some others. Who is on your list that you don't think should be in?
Bill Mazeroski should not be in the hall of Fame. He was a very good fielding second baseman that wasn't a very good hitter. And as a fielder, he was passed by the Cubs Kenny Hubbs who won the gold glove and rookie of the year. Sadly, he died. That allowed Maz to win a few more GG's. I have nothing against the guy but no one watched him play and said there is a Hall of Famer.

Rolen’s the best defensive 3B since Brooks Robinson and he was a better hitter than Robinson. His career was hindered by injury, but that didn’t stop Kirby Puckett from getting in.

Eckstein won the 2006 World Series MVP because he was a fan favorite and media darling, but the award should have gone to Rolen and would have helped his HOF case.

Jim Edmonds deserves to be in the HOF as well and it’s a shame that he didn’t even last long on the ballot.
If Jim Edmonds gets in, Dwight Evans better be there right with him.

I like it. And make sure the plaques include the PED usage.

Shoeless Joe should be in as well, especially in light of this Astros nonsense.
Sadly, Shoeless Joe can't get in. The one rule that is above all others is gambling. He took money. He knew of the plan to throw the series. Nothing is worse than that for the game. Gambling almost ruined the game.

LOL at the jackass that did not vote Jeter in,

Schilling got to 70%. He is a very worthy hall of famer, but I am fine with making him wait a bit. Fake sock ... his personality.
I can't stand the guy but the sock wasn't fake.

Bill

Bill Mazeroski should not be in the hall of Fame. He was a very good fielding second baseman that wasn't a very good hitter. And as a fielder, he was passed by the Cubs Kenny Hubbs who won the gold glove and rookie of the year. Sadly, he died. That allowed Maz to win a few more GG's. I have nothing against the guy but no one watched him play and said there is a Hall of Famer.

Fair enough. I was thinking more modern candidates. Maz was before my time but I'm a big fan of baseball history so I have enough knowledge to appreciate and agree with your argument.

Sadly, Shoeless Joe can't get in. The one rule that is above all others is gambling. He took money. He knew of the plan to throw the series. Nothing is worse than that for the game. Gambling almost ruined the game.
I think context and intent is important. Sometimes rules are followed to the letter, other times to the spirit. It’s been 100 years. We all know the story and an exception should be made.

Hope he goes in as an Expo

I doubt it but I like the old Expos too. He was good as an Expo but his Rockies year really elevated him over the top and he played longer in Colorado also.

I'll be there induction weekend if the sister doesn't rent her house. It promises to be a pretty damn good party

Hope he goes in as an Expo

He is a Colorado Rockie.. That is where he played about 65% of his games and made his legacy,
But I am sure he will share some words about the Expos at the ceremony. He has never had a bad word to say about this experience there, even though his departure was disappointing -- the Expos never made one effort to re-sign him. Cheap ass partnership in the early 90s.

Last edited:
He doesn’t belong in. And it’s not his politics. Shouldn’t matter whether you are a republican, Democrat, conservative or liberal. But it should matter how you comport yourself. He is a total POS with how he talks and behaves. The HOF should take being a decent human being into account.
It can be argued that cheating (steroids, Astros, etc.) is not done by decent human beings.

As for Schilling--I remember a quote (I think from a contemporary coach or manager) that went something like "Every 5th day, Schilling is your horse. The other 4, he's just part of that animal."

I have never been to Cooperstown -- tried to go the year Raines went there, but it fell apart. This will be the last chance to ever see anybody get in who spent a decent portion of his prime playing for the Expos, and to be honest I was not expecting Walker to get in.

Was thinking of going this year, but with Jeter, a Yankee great getting in, it will probably be a total gong show.

It can be argued that cheating (steroids, Astros, etc.) is not done by decent human beings.

As for Schilling--I remember a quote (I think from a contemporary coach or manager) that went something like "Every 5th day, Schilling is your horse. The other 4, he's just part of that animal."

I just read a great quote from Joe Posnanski about the difference between Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling.

Randy Johnson was the guy his teammates hated the day he pitched and loved the other 4 days
Schilling was the guy you loved the day he pitched and hated the other 4 days

He is a Colorado Rockie.. That is where he played about 65% of his games and made his legacy,
But I am sure he will share some words about the Expos at the ceremony. He has never had a bad word to say about this experience there, even though his departure was disappointing -- the Expos never made one effort to re-sign him. Cheap ass partnership in the early 90s.
Sorry, folks, he’s going in as a Cardinal.

I have never been to Cooperstown -- tried to go the year Raines went there, but it fell apart. This will be the last chance to ever see anybody get in who spent a decent portion of his prime playing for the Expos, and to be honest I was not expecting Walker to get in.

Was thinking of going this year, but with Jeter, a Yankee great getting in, it will probably be a total gong show.
if you plan to spend the night it's likely too late to get something reasonably priced now unless you stay in Herkimer or south of Oneonta. The town does a great job of shuttling fans from their main parking lot, you'd have to get there early to get a spot to park though.

I will tell you last year was the first time I'd ever gone to induction weekend and only because my sister's house did not get rented. The hall of fame manages their rental but it's a big house and not cheap to get. Most of the fans coming up from NYC for Mariano came up for the day and either went home or stayed downstate. I expect the same with Jeter.

I was there all weekend, I would pass on the induction ceremony this year and only go to the parade through town. That is where it's happening. I'll watch the ceremony on the MLB network this year.

Edit: I forgot to mention that most of the homeowners in town will let you park in their driveway for a fee and you can walk into town. The going rate was $30 for Saturday and $40 for Sunday

Walker looks worthy to me...

Screenshot_2020-01-21-21-14-27.png

if you plan to spend the night it's likely too late to get something reasonably priced now unless you stay in Herkimer or south of Oneonta. The town does a great job of shuttling fans from their main parking lot, you'd have to get there early to get a spot to park though.

I will tell you last year was the first time I'd ever gone to induction weekend and only because my sister's house did not get rented. The hall of fame manages their rental but it's a big house and not cheap to get. Most of the fans coming up from NYC for Mariano came up for the day and either went home or stayed downstate. I expect the same with Jeter.

I was there all weekend, I would pass on the induction ceremony this year and only go to the parade through town. That is where it's happening. I'll watch the ceremony on the MLB network this year.

Edit: I forgot to mention that most of the homeowners in town will let you park in their driveway for a fee and you can walk into town. The going rate was $30 for Saturday and $40 for Sunday

I would just want to make a day trip for the induction ceremony, but don't even know if that is possible . I know people from Montreal did it for Tim Raines. But just wondering if it would be harder this year.

Was Jim Rice fine for you?
Just so you know I think Ben Volin is a troll and embarrassment to the print journalism profession.
He is a real life version of Ralph Wiggum.
I think Walker is a fine HOFer. Just showing how stupid the people who the Boston Globe employ are and not the brightest of bulbs.

Jim Ed Rice was a jerk. He is a borderline candidate at best. At his apex he was the best hitter in baseball but he didn’t have a long career of dominance. If he didn’t make it I wouldn’t shed a tear. I think Schilling is a better candidate than Rice.

If you've never been, I'd pass on the induction and make the trip another time so you can fully take in the museum and enjoy the village.

Just so you know I think Ben Volin is a troll and embarrassment to the print journalism profession.
He is a real life version of Ralph Wiggum.
I think Walker is a fine HOFer. Just showing how stupid the people who the Boston Globe employ are and not the brightest of bulbs.

Jim Ed Rice was a jerk. He is a borderline candidate at best. At his apex he was the best hitter in baseball but he didn’t have a long career of dominance. If he didn’t make it I wouldn’t shed a tear. I think Schilling is a better candidate than Rice.

Apologies for misreading your post, and thanks for clarifying.

Rice was a better HOF candidate when people really focused on AVG/HR/RBI -- he probably would not get in now.

But talking about Boston outfielders from that era I think Dewey Evans was way under appreciated. I think he starts to benefit from people relying more on Advanced Stats and WAR for comparison, and the fact that he was a good defensive outfielder. He had a somewhat similar career to Walker... certainly had a better career than harold Baines!

If you've never been, I'd pass on the induction and make the trip another time so you can fully take in the museum and enjoy the village.

I could certainly do that on a separate trip. I do like to take golf trips to places, and combine golf and baseball stadium visits, so had already planned to do some weekend like that around Cooperstown.

I will never have a chance to see an induction ceremony for a prominent Montreal Expo again, and I always regretted not going to see Tim Raines... it's a bucket list item for me. You have to note, that even though they are dead for 17 years, they are still my most cherished sports team ever. I think its because I like getting kicked in the nuts over and over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom