2020 Fall Ball (Scrimmages Canceled) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Fall Ball (Scrimmages Canceled)

I agree but it's what marketers do when they have a good product. It's not the players or coaches promoting themselves.

Any talk of final ranking came with caveat that season had long way to go. Team has potential but it's only as good as realized .

Most see Duke as the clear 21' favorite given their numerous additions of seasoned talent. All ACC opponents are loaded as well as are some teams from other conferences. Cuse is one of several top teams and that couldn't be confidently said a few years back.

Much smaller number of schools listed. They include Lipka for Syracuse which is an oversight. Still, appreciate that they include Buttermore since I think depth matters.

I would include UNC on the list and probably Maryland depending on if Brown and/or Holden play midfield. Looking at that Duke roster really have to wonder who is going to get left on the bench, they have some good midfielders so can’t just move attackmen to midfield. Didn’t even mention Ledmon in the article. Someone talented is going to get left behind.

A few very good midfielders did not choose/were not able to come back (Costible, Aitken, Fletcher) whereas most attackmen did choose to come back (Ament, maybe Bernhardt did not). I think having such a good midfield really helps SU as I think there is a wider gap between SU and the next couple of groups. Duke is far and away the best attack group but there are still a bunch of really good units, the midfield groups don’t have the same amount if quality, in my mind at least.

Much smaller number of schools listed. They include Lipka for Syracuse which is an oversight. Still, appreciate that they include Buttermore since I think depth matters.

I would include UNC on the list and probably Maryland depending on if Brown and/or Holden play midfield. Looking at that Duke roster really have to wonder who is going to get left on the bench, they have some good midfielders so can’t just move attackmen to midfield. Didn’t even mention Ledmon in the article. Someone talented is going to get left behind.

A few very good midfielders did not choose/were not able to come back (Costible, Aitken, Fletcher) whereas most attackmen did choose to come back (Ament, maybe Bernhardt did not). I think having such a good midfield really helps SU as I think there is a wider gap between SU and the next couple of groups. Duke is far and away the best attack group but there are still a bunch of really good units, the midfield groups don’t have the same amount if quality, in my mind at least.
At middie I like MD, UNC, Denver (mainly because of Jack Hannah), and Penn State. Cornell also has some nice pieces even without fletcher. Duke has many very good mids but not sure they have that one guy who completely takes over. Nakie of course has the potential to be that guy. And that will all change when they get McAdory next year, who is a monster.

I thought Zawada was more of an attack than a mid so that might be another oversight on their part.

UNC should be on that list of top mid units with Cook 20/7, Anderson 15/7 , Perry 8/4 , McCarthy 13/1 . Also have #3 heralded frosh Herbert besides some other former blue chippers to fill out second line. Their offense is potent

These lacrosse bucket lists are done by a young guy named Tanner Demling. I'm all for more coverage of lacrosse. At this point he's still developing as a writer and I'm sure he has nobody to edit his work, so there are going to be some errors. A few have been pointed out here. His opinion will also be judged by those reading it, and if he's wrong (if Notre Dame's attack unit doesn't perform well in the spring after he lists them as a top unit) people won't read his work anymore. We can all root for him. He'll only get better if he writes more.

Lacrosse Bucket includes SU in their list of top Defensive Units. The rest of the list is Army, Providence, Georgetown and Ohio State. SU has a leader in Kennedy, one of the best goalies in Porter and probably the best short stick unit in the country led by Dearth.

Some questions remain, they need to replace Fernandez at pole and they had some shaky performances against Colgate and Hobart last year. They do bring in a number of transfers, the biggest is probably Mitch Wykoff. Still not sure where he lines up - the only opening is at LSM, but I beleive that he played close defense at Gettsyburg (though he did line up on the wing for face-offs). I think Clary and Page could also be good under the radar players who might surprise a lot of people this season.

Lots of options and a lot of guys can play multiple positions (Kennedy can play LSM, Murphy can play short stick, Clary and Page both played some close and LSM). It also sounds like they have some good incoming freshmen with Drago, Frankie Hapney and Kol, though I'd be surprised if they saw time this year. Will be curious to see how much experimenting the coaching staff does with this unit.

Lacrosse Bucket includes SU in their list of top Defensive Units. The rest of the list is Army, Providence, Georgetown and Ohio State. SU has a leader in Kennedy, one of the best goalies in Porter and probably the best short stick unit in the country led by Dearth.

Some questions remain, they need to replace Fernandez at pole and they had some shaky performances against Colgate and Hobart last year. They do bring in a number of transfers, the biggest is probably Mitch Wykoff. Still not sure where he lines up - the only opening is at LSM, but I beleive that he played close defense at Gettsyburg (though he did line up on the wing for face-offs). I think Clary and Page could also be good under the radar players who might surprise a lot of people this season.

Lots of options and a lot of guys can play multiple positions (Kennedy can play LSM, Murphy can play short stick, Clary and Page both played some close and LSM). It also sounds like they have some good incoming freshmen with Drago, Frankie Hapney and Kol, though I'd be surprised if they saw time this year. Will be curious to see how much experimenting the coaching staff does with this unit.
I'm with you. I think there are good pieces, but they need to come together.

I like Saam Olexo. He's athletic and aggressive. He also played hockey at Spalding. Like, you said, there probably isn't a lot of playing time to be had by freshmen this season, but it's possible in the future.

I also like Cole Horan from Furman. I think Wykoff might be the starting LSM, although he is listed on the roster as a defender. I'm a little skeptical of Page and Clary, only because we didn't see a lot of them last season. I guess Clary got some minutes, but didn't make a big impact. When Jared Fernandez was a freshman, we could all see right away that he could really play. Neither Page nor Clary made that kind of impact. Hopefully that's mainly because of the shortened season and being behind Fernandez and Helmer (and Kennedy for a game). Tommy Drago is also listed as an LSM.

One possibility is, if one of the transfers is an absolutely shut down cover guy, that could bump Kennedy to LSM. I'm confident in Murphy as our #2 cover guy on defense.

Looks like OSU planning to start their season on Feb 13th, so a pretty normal start date. Curious if this holds.

" Stop, what the hell are you talking about? " ringing in my head as I post my too early rankings

1) Duke

2) acc* *spots 2, 4, 6. 8 t.b.d by games between SU, UNC, UVA, ND
3) Maryland
4) acc
5) Denver
6) acc
7) Cornell
8) acc
9) OSU or PSU
10) Georgtown

Good list IT. Since things are relatively quiet, here's how I see the Top 10. I feel like there is a drop off from Duke to Syracuse, and then a smaller drop off from SU to the next group of teams, which are all pretty evenly matched. Should make for a very interesting season. I didn't do a statistical analysis or real deep dive here, so there are plenty of holes one could poke in what is below.

1. Duke - obviously the front runner, whatever issues they had last year they seemed to address in the transfer market, and picked up the best player in the game in Sowers. Given how crazy these past nine months have been, and given teams haven't been able to scrimmage or have a normal offseason, I do wonder how easy it will be to integrate so many new faces, especially with so many old faces still on the team. This is one thing that might hurt Duke.
2. Syracuse - finished last year #1 and bring back a boatload of talent, including the best midfield in the country and All Americans at every other position. Questions remain - they have to replace two starting defenders and the attack needs to prove it can be consistent, but top to bottom hard to find any holes on this team. On the flip side of Duke, SU doesn't have to worry too much about chemistry and will really be helped by having such consistency from one year to the next.
3. Maryland - took advantage of the transfer portal so same Duke questions exist, but they should have a very good offense with Brown, Holden, Wisnauskus, Fairman, DiMillo and Maltz. If Bernhardt comes back then watch out. Their defense hasn't been as typically strong the past two years, so if there is a soft underbelly of this team, that is probably it.
4. UNC - Tar Heels put up a ton of points last year, and they have a fearsome offense with Gray and a midfield that could rival SU's. But they also didn't play anyone of note besides Denver (who they beat). No obvious holes in this team, but you wonder how they hold up against stiffer competition.
5. Denver - think teams at this point in the rankings have a few more question marks than the ones above them, but still very good teams. Denver gets a big boost with Morrill and Cotler coming over from Yale and also has some really good offensive talent. They do have some questions about defense though.
6. Notre Dame - really not sure what to make of this team - they probably took in the most transfers of all besides Duke and helped solidify the face-off x, close D and attack. But they lose their best player in Costabile and I don't think they have an easy replacement for him. Could see this team anywhere from top four to outside top 15.
7. Cornell - Most Ivy League teams are in a tough spot, they bring back what in any other season would be competitive teams but this year they are fighting with one hand behind their back, as other teams were allowed to build Super Teams, often on the backs of Ivy League rosters. Cornell is the best of the bunch to me because they bring back Teat and had a lot of young talent last year. But they lost their coach and replaced him with a very young guy in Buczek. This team was terrifying to watch last year though so I think they will be ranked pretty highly.
8. Penn State - brings back almost everyone from a very good team, but the one guy they don't bring back was their most important. Ament was the straw that stirred the proverbial drink for them, and even though they have talent all over the field, I think it will be hard to put up the video game like numbers they did the last two years. FWIW O'Keefe had 51 goals with Ament his freshmen year, then only 35 without him the following year. The next, 78 with. Think they'll be very good, but not the same without Ament.
9. Virginia - Seems like I am ranking them too low here, but I think they will suffer for the Aitkin loss. Also unclear how Bertrand will replace Krauss. Still, lots of very good talent with Moore, Laviano and Cormier. Also think their defense is underrated.
10. Georgetown - similar to UNC, they finished last year with some big blow out wins but didn't play anyone. I am the least familiar with the Hoyas, but still seems like they deserve some recognition with the numbers they put up.

Good list. I might sneak Yale in there at 9 or 10 purely because of Ierlan. As long as they still have him they're going to win games. Brandau and Fake is also a solid core to build around and I wouldn't bet against Shay.

After the top 8 or so I think it's pretty unclear. Denver could be very good. Loyola too. Hopkins, who knows, they were not good last year but a healthy Joey Epstein, a couple of notable transfers, and a completely new staff, they could be very team different this year. OSU should be strong again.

I am not a ND believer. I just think Corrigan holds that team back. Never quite seem to live up to the talent on the roster. They'll win more faceoffs this year but Costabile is irreplaceable for that offense.

Gallagher addition will immensely help ND . Their fogo's won just 43% last year while Gallagher was at 65%. Spliting with Ierlan in every game (KD won 48-95 fo in 19" ) suggests he may be just as capable of tilting the field that would help their O which has several overlooked talents that could blossom... Thought of listing Yale because of Ierlan and Brandau but they lost several vets and newbies may need a year to fully replace ...jhu should be much more competitive , UVA and OSU are two teams that may be underrated ...

Good list IT. Since things are relatively quiet, here's how I see the Top 10. I feel like there is a drop off from Duke to Syracuse, and then a smaller drop off from SU to the next group of teams, which are all pretty evenly matched. Should make for a very interesting season. I didn't do a statistical analysis or real deep dive here, so there are plenty of holes one could poke in what is below.

1. Duke - obviously the front runner, whatever issues they had last year they seemed to address in the transfer market, and picked up the best player in the game in Sowers. Given how crazy these past nine months have been, and given teams haven't been able to scrimmage or have a normal offseason, I do wonder how easy it will be to integrate so many new faces, especially with so many old faces still on the team. This is one thing that might hurt Duke.
2. Syracuse - finished last year #1 and bring back a boatload of talent, including the best midfield in the country and All Americans at every other position. Questions remain - they have to replace two starting defenders and the attack needs to prove it can be consistent, but top to bottom hard to find any holes on this team. On the flip side of Duke, SU doesn't have to worry too much about chemistry and will really be helped by having such consistency from one year to the next.
3. Maryland - took advantage of the transfer portal so same Duke questions exist, but they should have a very good offense with Brown, Holden, Wisnauskus, Fairman, DiMillo and Maltz. If Bernhardt comes back then watch out. Their defense hasn't been as typically strong the past two years, so if there is a soft underbelly of this team, that is probably it.
4. UNC - Tar Heels put up a ton of points last year, and they have a fearsome offense with Gray and a midfield that could rival SU's. But they also didn't play anyone of note besides Denver (who they beat). No obvious holes in this team, but you wonder how they hold up against stiffer competition.
5. Denver - think teams at this point in the rankings have a few more question marks than the ones above them, but still very good teams. Denver gets a big boost with Morrill and Cotler coming over from Yale and also has some really good offensive talent. They do have some questions about defense though.
6. Notre Dame - really not sure what to make of this team - they probably took in the most transfers of all besides Duke and helped solidify the face-off x, close D and attack. But they lose their best player in Costabile and I don't think they have an easy replacement for him. Could see this team anywhere from top four to outside top 15.
7. Cornell - Most Ivy League teams are in a tough spot, they bring back what in any other season would be competitive teams but this year they are fighting with one hand behind their back, as other teams were allowed to build Super Teams, often on the backs of Ivy League rosters. Cornell is the best of the bunch to me because they bring back Teat and had a lot of young talent last year. But they lost their coach and replaced him with a very young guy in Buczek. This team was terrifying to watch last year though so I think they will be ranked pretty highly.
8. Penn State - brings back almost everyone from a very good team, but the one guy they don't bring back was their most important. Ament was the straw that stirred the proverbial drink for them, and even though they have talent all over the field, I think it will be hard to put up the video game like numbers they did the last two years. FWIW O'Keefe had 51 goals with Ament his freshmen year, then only 35 without him the following year. The next, 78 with. Think they'll be very good, but not the same without Ament.
9. Virginia - Seems like I am ranking them too low here, but I think they will suffer for the Aitkin loss. Also unclear how Bertrand will replace Krauss. Still, lots of very good talent with Moore, Laviano and Cormier. Also think their defense is underrated.
10. Georgetown - similar to UNC, they finished last year with some big blow out wins but didn't play anyone. I am the least familiar with the Hoyas, but still seems like they deserve some recognition with the numbers they put up.
nice list, all of these teams can score so defense and goalie is going to be huge. I like SU because of Drake and what I anticipate being a strong short stick defense. Jury is out on post defense as we are replacing a few positions. This will be a big year for Lelan Rodgers.

I wonder about Maryland at Goalie. Based on experience at the position alone. I believe they started a true freshman at the end of the shortened 2020 season. Duke starter seems to be a few notches below Drake. I don’t really know much about the other goalies.

I hope Drake gets hot or we get off to big leads and can build up our defense. Stopping the ball is going to be big this year as everyone seems to have firepower with all the talent on top ten rosters. Should be a fun season. We deserve it! Go Orange

Cements Maryland as top team in b10 and serious natl contender. One of the game's best players , top five attackman who separates from good defenders. Terp O will be very athletic and fast with him, Wink plus their additions. His return is good for the sport not their opponents.

Maryland now faces the same issue as Duke which some might call a "good problem to have" but they now have more talented guys on offense than there are spots on the field. I feel a bit for guys like Long, Maltz, Brennan (and to a lesser degree, their incoming top recruits: Malever, Kelly, and Koras) who might actually see less playing time after the incoming transfers of Holden and Brown, and now the semi-unexpected return of Bernhardt. OC Reppert will surely figure something out but wouldn't be shocked if there are some chemistry issues early on. Lot of guys who are used to having the ball in their sticks. Interesting to see how Holden and Brown go from being "the guy" on their respective teams to just cogs in the Terp machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom