2020 Fall Ball (Scrimmages Canceled) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Fall Ball (Scrimmages Canceled)

So, at this point in fall who are the top 9 offensive players for SU? Who are the top 6 long sticks?

Scanlon
Rehfuss
Cook
Trimboli
Curry
Dordevic
Hiltz
Quinn
Buttermore
Any others going to make a run at the 2nd middie line? Tenaglia? Fiorini? Magnan? Any freshman?

Kennedy
DiPietro
Murphy

After this it's hard to assess
Staats
Page?
Clary?
Horan
Wykoff
N. Hapney
I like Saam Olexo, but not sure how he'll fit in

The close defense is experienced. In 2022 there might be a few open spots.

So, at this point in fall who are the top 9 offensive players for SU? Who are the top 6 long sticks?

Scanlon
Rehfuss
Cook
Trimboli
Curry
Dordevic
Hiltz
Quinn
Buttermore
Any others going to make a run at the 2nd middie line? Tenaglia? Fiorini? Magnan? Any freshman?

Kennedy
DiPietro
Murphy

Staats
Page?
Clary?
Horan
Wykoff
N. Hapney

Guessing that we will see a good deal of Wykoff next year. Then one of Tenaglia Fiorini and co. could see some time if we use Hiltz as another attack option instead of a middie. Seebold always seems to find some time too. I would be totally shocked if Hiltz isn't playing on man up as we needed a lefty there.

Scanlon
Rehfuss
Cook
Trimboli
Curry
Dordevic
Hiltz
Quinn
Buttermore

Kennedy
DiPietro
Murphy

Staats
Page?
Clary?
Horan
Wykoff
N. Hapney

My gut says that our defense will line up like this:

Close D: Wycoff, Dipietro & Murphy
LSM: Kennedy & Clary

Would be nice to see Page get some runs as well but haven't heard much about him. Not sure we'll see any frosh get much defensive time this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see most of them take a redshirt.

My gut says that our defense will line up like this:

Close D: Wycoff, Dipietro & Murphy
LSM: Kennedy & Clary

Would be nice to see Page get some runs as well but haven't heard much about him. Not sure we'll see any frosh get much defensive time this year. Wouldn't surprise me to see most of them take a redshirt.

I would flip Wyckoff and Kennedy. Staff still beleives Kennedy is the best lockdown defender they/we have. I think he is likely to stay at Close and draw most teams #1 attackmen.

I would flip Wyckoff and Kennedy. Staff still beleives Kennedy is the best lockdown defender they/we have. I think he is likely to stay at Close and draw most teams #1 attackmen.
Good point! But no matter where Kennedy plays I expect him to charge at every loose ball, crash up the field with the ball from shear exhilaration. Hit some people too.

Scanlon
Rehfuss
Cook
Trimboli
Curry
Dordevic
Hiltz
Quinn
Buttermore

Kennedy
DiPietro
Murphy

Staats
Page?
Clary?
Horan
Wykoff
N. Hapney

Can't argue with the offensive players, I think the biggest questions is where Hiltz ends up, as it sounds like he will definitely see time. In the IL recruiting article, March says they see Rhefuss and Cook as their behind the goal players and Hiltz as a winger, playing above the goal line. So not sure if they will rotate him with the attack, maybe subbing in for Cook, or if they play him on the second midfield. FWIW IL ranked him as a midfielder. I would say that leaves Seebold to fill whatever roll that Hiltz does not. Desko sounds like he is again high on Quinn. My prediction would look something like:

Attack: Scanlan, Rhefuss, Cook - Hiltz
1st Mid: Curry, Dordevic, Trimboli
2nd Mid: Buttermore, Quinn, Seebold

Not sure where that leaves Fiorini, Tenaglia, Magnan and the other freshmen. Hoping the staff can rely a little less on the first midfield to do as much as they did last year, but have to imagine they will get a bulk of the playing time.

Defense is a real head scratcher, Kennedy is far and away the best defender on the team, but it really seems like he is best utilized as an LSM. But I agree with Jeremey, I just can't see any of the other defenders trying to lockdown Sowers, Gray, et all. Agree with the list OL put out, but would say maybe they rotate either four guys at close, or three at LSM. I could see Wykoff, Clary and Page all getting runs at LSM, or one of them being rotated in at close. Desko also called out Drago by name, so he might surprise some.

Staats is an interesting choice, he was JC Defender of the Year his one year at OCC but has had injury issues ever since he got to SU. Horan and Nick Hapney also look quality, but tough to know if they are better than the incumbents. Defense seems to have a lot of really solid players but none other than Kennedy who you might consider All American quality. Maybe Page or Clary came back and really improved. Helps to have one of the best goalies and SSDMs in the country on the team.

2021 Roster posted -

Michael Page is now #4
Brett Kennedy is now #11
Owen Hiltz is #77
Mitch Wykoff is #17
Nick Hapney is #18

Think those were the outstanding numbers, but feel free to correct me!

Last edited:
I forgot about Seebold. Thanks for reminding me. He's a good option on the 2nd middie line, especially to invert. Are most of the top offensive middies SU will be playing big or average size? Match ups may play a big role, especially if someone like Brennan O'Neill is running middie.

2021 Roster posted -

Michael Page is now #4
Brett Kennedy is now #11
Owen Hiltz is #77
Mitch Wykoff is #17
Nick Hapney is #18

Think those were the outstanding numbers, but feel free to correct me!

Michael Page is now #4

Mikey Berkman is now on his 3rd Freshman year. :)

Michael Page is now #4

Mikey Berkman is now on his 3rd Freshman year. :)

Yes, besides freshmen, it looks like every player has Redshirt in front of their class (the same as '20). So Dordevic is still listed as a Redshirt Sophomore, etc.

Yes, besides freshmen, it looks like every player has Redshirt in front of their class (the same as '20). So Dordevic is still listed as a Redshirt Sophomore, etc.

Everyone gets another year.

If you were a Freshman, you are now a Redshirt Freshman.

If you were already a Redshirt Freshman, you are now a Double Secret Redshirt Freshman.

Except for Rehfuss. He's now like a 8th year Doctoral Candidate.

There is little fluff on this team.

Attack : Hiltz could be X factor despite being a frosh, wont' surprise if he plays quality minutes sooner than later. Expecting him to be part of 4 man rotation at attack rather than a 2nd line mid since our first line sees much field. Where Hiltz minutes come from is somewhat of a dilemma (good) . Vet Refhuss is a top flight distributor while Cook is comfortable and improved coming into 3rd year . Powell cited March's comments about those two operating best from behind the cage so gotta figure a reshuffle eventually occurs with Hiltz seeing good time on left wing. Scanlan is #22 nm. Deep bench. Ferris is that big strong attackman that team has lacked but barring injuries not sure where mins come right now .
Mid 1st line is set . Buttermore takes over Lipka lead on second . Seebold and Quinn have experience to go with talent for likely inside track . Mids numbers (think 15) not as large as years past but many good talents so look for a few other to emerge for possible p/t

Dearth, Aviles, Dami, Barlow and Small are a established dm rotation, May graduate three at year end so be interns . D was newly rearranged last year and was developing before season suddenly truncated . Losing Mellen, Helmer and then Fernandez left holes to fill but several capable and athletic talents . Would be best if practices are able to resume in January since playing time together on d was somewhat brief and transfers need to be further assimilated into schemes . Versatile AA in Kennedy but not optimal imho to juggle any players around no matter how talented. Like Murphy better with long stick than ss n should stay with such. Expect Wykoff to play somewhere, just not sure where and what combo. D was short handed last year with multiple injuries and tails.. Greater numbers with much more comp depth this year which will help freshness and sharpness. Could see Horan carving out niche. Man down ( and man up? ) were facets that could be enhanced

Well staffed at goalie with Porter backed by Katchurian/Thompson. FO percentages of our two headed unit could drop some given ACC fogo upgrades at Duke and ND but good duo.. Be interesting to see how rule change affects .
----
Other notes .

Team has leadership with good coaches and several captains returning. Dome is going to be a even greater experience especially if fans can attend.

Should be a exciting year for Cuse but ACC is absolutely stacked with all in top ten and and no one including a loaded Duke is going undefeated.

Cuse seems to be handling matters well. Keeping fingers crossed that virus ebbs and kids keep disciplined to minimize.

Can't argue with the offensive players, I think the biggest questions is where Hiltz ends up, as it sounds like he will definitely see time. In the IL recruiting article, March says they see Rhefuss and Cook as their behind the goal players and Hiltz as a winger, playing above the goal line. So not sure if they will rotate him with the attack, maybe subbing in for Cook, or if they play him on the second midfield. FWIW IL ranked him as a midfielder. I would say that leaves Seebold to fill whatever roll that Hiltz does not. Desko sounds like he is again high on Quinn. My prediction would look something like:

Attack: Scanlan, Rhefuss, Cook - Hiltz
1st Mid: Curry, Dordevic, Trimboli
2nd Mid: Buttermore, Quinn, Seebold

Not sure where that leaves Fiorini, Tenaglia, Magnan and the other freshmen. Hoping the staff can rely a little less on the first midfield to do as much as they did last year, but have to imagine they will get a bulk of the playing time.

Defense is a real head scratcher, Kennedy is far and away the best defender on the team, but it really seems like he is best utilized as an LSM. But I agree with Jeremey, I just can't see any of the other defenders trying to lockdown Sowers, Gray, et all. Agree with the list OL put out, but would say maybe they rotate either four guys at close, or three at LSM. I could see Wykoff, Clary and Page all getting runs at LSM, or one of them being rotated in at close. Desko also called out Drago by name, so he might surprise some.

Staats is an interesting choice, he was JC Defender of the Year his one year at OCC but has had injury issues ever since he got to SU. Horan and Nick Hapney also look quality, but tough to know if they are better than the incumbents. Defense seems to have a lot of really solid players but none other than Kennedy who you might consider All American quality. Maybe Page or Clary came back and really improved. Helps to have one of the best goalies and SSDMs in the country on the team.
Tenaglia seems like a very effective offensive player. From his videos at, I think Furman, I get the impression he will find his way onto the field as either an attack or mid. He might even elbow his way into starting at attack for Cook or Rehfuss. Unlikely I know, but don't count him out.

Duke Outside Lacrosse League concluding soon.

Been playing games since Oct 1st . Basically two split Duke squads playing competitive;y agaisnt each other and some trades happening between .
Some nice matchups Sowers vs Giles Harris being one

There is little fluff on this team.

Attack : Hiltz could be X factor despite being a frosh, wont' surprise if he plays quality minutes sooner than later. Expecting him to be part of 4 man rotation at attack rather than a 2nd line mid since our first line sees much field. Where Hiltz minutes come from is somewhat of a dilemma (good) . Vet Refhuss is a top flight distributor while Cook is comfortable and improved coming into 3rd year . Powell cited March's comments about those two operating best from behind the cage so gotta figure a reshuffle eventually occurs with Hiltz seeing good time on left wing. Scanlan is #22 nm. Deep bench. Ferris is that big strong attackman that team has lacked but barring injuries not sure where mins come right now .
Mid 1st line is set . Buttermore takes over Lipka lead on second . Seebold and Quinn have experience to go with talent for likely inside track . Mids numbers (think 15) not as large as years past but many good talents so look for a few other to emerge for possible p/t

Dearth, Aviles, Dami, Barlow and Small are a established dm rotation, May graduate three at year end so be interns . D was newly rearranged last year and was developing before season suddenly truncated . Losing Mellen, Helmer and then Fernandez left holes to fill but several capable and athletic talents . Would be best if practices are able to resume in January since playing time together on d was somewhat brief and transfers need to be further assimilated into schemes . Versatile AA in Kennedy but not optimal imho to juggle any players around no matter how talented. Like Murphy better with long stick than ss n should stay with such. Expect Wykoff to play somewhere, just not sure where and what combo. D was short handed last year with multiple injuries and tails.. Greater numbers with much more comp depth this year which will help freshness and sharpness. Could see Horan carving out niche. Man down ( and man up? ) were facets that could be enhanced

Well staffed at goalie with Porter backed by Katchurian/Thompson. FO percentages of our two headed unit could drop some given ACC fogo upgrades at Duke and ND but good duo.. Be interesting to see how rule change affects .
----
Other notes .

Team has leadership with good coaches and several captains returning. Dome is going to be a even greater experience especially if fans can attend.

Should be a exciting year for Cuse but ACC is absolutely stacked with all in top ten and and no one including a loaded Duke is going undefeated.

Cuse seems to be handling matters well. Keeping fingers crossed that virus ebbs and kids keep disciplined to minimize.

Thanks for the insight, there is a lot of great stuff in here. Good point about the man-up/man down issues last year. Regarding the offense, I'm not sure exactly why they struggled (5-12 isn't terrible and a small sample size all things considered), but the offense is so dodge heavy I think they found it difficult to move the ball quickly. Each set looked a bit out of synch to me. Strange, since the unit was the starting lineup. Maybe putting Hiltz in for either Dordevic or Cook might make the unit work better.

Hope Cook can improve - I've said it before but he looked to be the most productive offensive player in preseason scrimmages, but once the regular season started he had his moments but didn't solidify himself. Would be good if Birstwistle (listed as a middie on the roster FWIW) or Ferris could push him, but it seems like a tall order after missing their senior years. Plus I've never seen anyone ride like Cook and that sort of effort will keep you on the field. Still have to figure out how to avoid the Army performance where all three starting attackmen were held without a point.

I have a hard time believing any Freshman will see significant mins other than Hiltz. I would imagine most will be offered a RS - will be interesting to see how many take it. Just too much talent coming back plus a few transfers.

I’m not exactly in love with the tone the Twitter page has taken recently. It would be better if we kept the bragging about the teams elite level /elite history after truly backing it up with a new Natty. We look amazing, the future looks as bright as possible, but we still haven’t been to the final 4 since 2013, and stuff like this opens us up for people pointing that out. Basically tweeting is always a mistake no matter who you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom