2020 PGA Tour... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2020 PGA Tour...

With the win Patrick Reed moves up to #8 in the world -- the highest he has been since the end of 2016.

Reed thrives in controversy. Could have easily been his second win of the year. (lost in playoffs to JT at tournament of champions)

If Coronavirus is still a thing this summer how many golfer skip the Olympics. More or less than Rio 2016 (Zika virus)?

If Coronavirus is still a thing this summer how many golfer skip the Olympics. More or less than Rio 2016 (Zika virus)?
They won't need to worry about it. At this pace it will be cancelled or postponed a year if that is even an option.

Last edited:
well considering even having the Olympics is starting to become a reach maybe none.. If it was next month it would be shut down already.

1582826051718.png

Another Canadian almost won on tour today. (Mackenize Hughes was -8 on the weekend after finishing right o the cut line and loss by one) Would have been the third in less than a year... journeyman types (Connors, Taylor, Hughes).

I had a neat interaction with Hughes in 2014 when I went and watched a Canadian Tour (now McKenzie tour) event on my home course. There are no spotters on the Canadian tour (or not many anyway if there are some). He hit a fade / slice drive into an area I was familiar with when i hit it longer) and I was able to find his ball in a bit of a wooded area.

Typically the Canadians on the PGA choke once they get in contention but they have done well this past year. Goes as far back as Mike Weir. Weir had that great year in 2003, and in the five years after that was a very good Thrusday-Saturday player, whose scoring average rank dropped by an average of about 100 spots over those five years.

Graham Delaet was a hell of a ball striker for a two or three year period, but his yips around the green would always find a way to bite him in the ass. One of the better players in tour history never to win an event. (33 top tens, 6 top 3 finishes, and not one single win) Too bad injuries did him in. He had them surgeries as Tiger had but could never get fully healed.

Last edited:
Only had a chance to see the scores, but was unable to watch the event.

Sungjae Im, still only 21 years old, is really impressive. He is up to #27 in the world and IMO is the best asian player in the World right now. He is also as good as any golfer in the world at 21 and under.

Great ball striker, and when he starts to meld it with course knowledge, could become a top player on tour.

I knew Hughes had struggled really badly this year, but did not realize he had missed 9 cuts in 11 events with a best finish of 55th. This weekend literally came out of nowhere. Sort of llke his win in 2016.

I knew Hughes had struggled really badly this year, but did not realize he had missed 9 cuts in 11 events with a best finish of 55th. This weekend literally came out of nowhere. Sort of llke his win in 2016.

Solo 2nd was worth $763,000 for your fellow Canuck.

Golf magazine (March 2020) just determined that Mackenzie is the most average golfer on tour, based on: strokes gained, driving distance, cuts made, and $ per event. Golf pointed out that given how good the players on tour are, average is pretty darn good.

Another Canadian almost won on tour today. (Mackenize Hughes was -8 on the weekend after finishing right o the cut line and loss by one) Would have been the third in less than a year... journeyman types (Connors, Taylor, Hughes).

I had a neat interaction with Hughes in 2014 when I went and watched a Canadian Tour (now McKenzie tour) event on my home course. There are no spotters on the Canadian tour (or not many anyway if there are some). He hit a fade / slice drive into an area I was familiar with when i hit it longer) and I was able to find his ball in a bit of a wooded area.

Typically the Canadians on the PGA choke once they get in contention but they have done well this past year. Goes as far back as Mike Weir. Weir had that great year in 2003, and in the five years after that was a very good Thrusday-Saturday player, whose scoring average rank dropped by an average of about 100 spots over those five years.

Graham Delaet was a hell of a ball striker for a two or three year period, but his yips around the green would always find a way to bite him in the ass. One of the better players in tour history never to win an event. (33 top tens, 6 top 3 finishes, and not one single win) Too bad injuries did him in. He had them surgeries as Tiger had but could never get fully healed.

The GOAT

George Peper, in Links magazine (Winter 2020), just did the best analysis of Jack vs. Tiger that I have seen. He came to the correct conclusion too.

The GOAT

George Peper, in Links magazine (Winter 2020), just did the best analysis of Jack vs. Tiger that I have seen. He came to the correct conclusion too.

So what were the main reasons he picked Nicklaus, because there are good reasons for both.

I hope it doesn't focus to much on the typical stuff - top 5 finishes and his "better" competitors which are really just functions of depth.

That being said the top line depth in golf in Tiger's second half of his golden era (2005-2009) was pretty weak as well. Just look at some of the major champions from about 2005-2012.

I think the one thing that can't be debated is who was the best at his peak. To me there is no debate that Tiger in 2000-2001 was the best golfer that ever played the game. But the best ever has to consider career, and also what that player has given to the game and how they have represented the game.

Last edited:
Golf magazine (March 2020) just determined that Mackenzie is the most average golfer on tour, based on: strokes gained, driving distance, cuts made, and $ per event. Golf pointed out that given how good the players on tour are, average is pretty darn good.

Average is pretty darn good in a way. The pay and benefits are good.

But the problem is you are always walking that line between keeping your card and losing your card and that has to be stressful. I noted that the prize pool for Web.com (I guess KFT now) is going down. I'd say about 70% of its peak. Showing up at events that pay our $550,000 to 156 golfers, and having to pay your way (not sure if there are entrance fees like the Canadian Tour) is a tough life. Getting stuck on that tour for 2-3 years would be tough for a former PGA player.

But Hughes has walked the line to stay on the right side for about 5 years. Two other Canadians have pulled it off for longer. Nick Taylor seems to be around 125 at the end of every year. And David Hearn has lasted over 10 years on tour usually always around 75-125.

Only had a chance to see the scores, but was unable to watch the event.

Sungjae Im, still only 21 years old, is really impressive. He is up to #27 in the world and IMO is the best asian player in the World right now. He is also as good as any golfer in the world at 21 and under.

Great ball striker, and when he starts to meld it with course knowledge, could become a top player on tour.

It was a great battle on Sunday. Hughes had a couple of ridiculous shots, including a 50 foot birdie putt on the 17th hole. He actually had a chance to win on 18, but pulled his fairway wood into the grandstand. Pure nerves I'm sure

Lots of the guys struggled on Sunday. Fleetwood could have easily won if he broke par. Im looked like he was going to blow it, and then did really well on 16 and 17

I would have thought that average (better than 50% of the players) on the tour means you are in no danger of losing your card, but I see the Hughes is ranked 158th (his second place has probably not been included yet). Not sure that makes sense.

Average is pretty darn good in a way. The pay and benefits are good.

But the problem is you are always walking that line between keeping your card and losing your card and that has to be stressful. I noted that the prize pool for Web.com (I guess KFT now) is going down. I'd say about 70% of its peak. Showing up at events that pay our $550,000 to 156 golfers, and having to pay your way (not sure if there are entrance fees like the Canadian Tour) is a tough life. Getting stuck on that tour for 2-3 years would be tough for a former PGA player.

But Hughes has walked the line to stay on the right side for about 5 years. Two other Canadians have pulled it off for longer. Nick Taylor seems to be around 125 at the end of every year. And David Hearn has lasted over 10 years on tour usually always around 75-125.

He discussed the obvious numbers, and determined that the competition was a draw (but noted that is a "murky" determination), he also broke down who had the 'higher highs' and the 'lower lows', compared their games by clubs (long irons, short irons, putting, etc.), and threw in head, heart, hands, and health. Of course, it is mostly subjective, but he did it better than anyone else I have seen.

So what were the main reasons he picked Nicklaus, because there are good reasons for both.

I hope it doesn't focus to much on the typical stuff - top 5 finishes and his "better" competitors which are really just functions of depth.

That being said the top line depth in golf in Tiger's second half of his golden era (2005-2009) was pretty weak as well. Just look at some of the major champions from about 2005-2012.

I think the one thing that can't be debated is who was the best at his peak. To me there is no debate that Tiger in 2000-2001 was the best golfer that ever played the game. But the best ever has to consider career, and also what that player has given to the game and how they have represented the game.

I would have thought that average (better than 50% of the players) on the tour means you are in no danger of losing your card, but I see the Hughes is ranked 158th (his second place has probably not been included yet). Not sure that makes sense.

I think there are about 200 players on tour each year with a card.

If you are having an average season you will keep your card. But the problem is when you are "average" over time, your "off" seasons will put you in stress.

The article was based on the 2019 season. I just noticed that you noted above that he had recently missed a lot of cuts, that might explain the 158 ranking.

I think there are about 200 players on tour each year with a card.

If you are having an average season you will keep your card. But the problem is when you are "average" over time, your "off" seasons will put you in stress.

One more item from the magazine files: Xander S, who I mentioned above is the cover boy for both Golf and Golf Digest in their March issues - seems odd. Fortunately, neither mentioned him winning a major.

Anybody looking for a good live bet?
Take Dechambeau at 80-1

Bay Hill is brutal right now and Dechambeau is safely in.

Started the day in Even in 32nd. Done his day at even. And climbed the leaderboard from 32nd to 11th.

Expect him to be in the top 7 by the end of the round as everybody is backing up.

I actually to book a bunch of bets to win (or 1/4 top 4 finishes) for players that are safely done the day. Let's see where their odds are at when the day is over.

Dechambeau 80-1 (Currently 10th)
Rodgers 125-1 (Currently 10th)
Homa 200-1 (Currently 18th)
Fratelli 350-1 (Currently 18th)

I actually to book a bunch of bets to win (or 1/4 top 4 finishes) for players that are safely done the day. Let's see where their odds are at when the day is over.

Dechambeau 80-1 (Currently 10th)
Rodgers 125-1 (Currently 10th)
Homa 200-1 (Currently 18th)
Fratelli 350-1 (Currently 18th)

Did not go as well as I had hoped. Weather seemed to stabilize and Hatton hit some long putts at end to get the lead up to to -6, instead of -4... if it had been -4 Dechambeau would have been within 4.

But considering they were done for the day when I got them, I guess I got minimal value gains especially on Dechambeau.

BD moved up from 80-1 to 45-1
Rodgers Stayed Stable
Homa moved up from 200-1 to 150-1
Fratelli stayed stable

I still really like the Homa pick -- he has played very well in the fourth round this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom