2020 PGA Tour... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2020 PGA Tour...

Interesting that Bayhill is playing like a US Open course, which, apparently, was what Arnie wanted it to be. I never watched much play at Bayhill before, so I don't know the course well, but it looks like an uber version of a typical Florida country club layout. I notice that 4 of the 6 greens that wrap around water play right to left; maybe Arnie designed the course for his draw shot shape.

with the Indian wells tennis tourney being cancelled whats the next big event in doubt? Masters/ NCAA/ NBA/NHL

with the Indian wells tennis tourney being cancelled whats the next big event in doubt? Masters/ NCAA/ NBA/NHL

The TV Rights for Indian Wells I don't think are anything near that for the NBA Finals, Masters, NCAA tourney.

I think there will be some events that go to crowdless before cancelling.

its still the 5th biggest tennis event of the yr so in that world its a pretty big deal.. ESPN had 600 hrs of tennis scheduled. thats a bunch of ad time that has to go someplace.

Might as well bump this thread to talk about the Players Championship which might be the only significant sports event going on this weeked.

TPC is still not cancelled, and play is going on today, but starting Friday no fans.

One player that is teeing off this afternoon has simply withdrew from the tournament (CT Pan )... did not feel like playing.

I have tickets for US Open at Winged Foot in June. Since Westchester is a hot zone right now hopefully by June it's settled down and they'll allow fans.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the Masters -- in terms of a postponement.

Would it be a tournament they consider to play in September?

September or October seems like a good time for the Masters... a tournament (for example Vegas or Sea Island, Georgia) could be pushed back into November or December when there are open weeks.

The logistics for making up other majors would be more difficult.

biggest issue with masters is the Ryder Cup and the grass that time of yr

September or October seems like a good time for the Masters... a tournament (for example Vegas or Sea Island, Georgia) could be pushed back into November or December when there are open weeks.

The logistics for making up other majors would be more difficult.
All the magnolias and other flowering plants at Augusta National were set up to be at their peak when the tournament is played. It will look vastly different if it were played in the fall.

Watching a recap of Tiger's 82 PGA wins on TGC and didn't realize the crazy streaks he had in that year.

In between 1999 and 2000 he won 17 of 28 events, including 4 major championships (out of 5), and 23 top 5 finishes. This included two consecutive majors which he won by a combined 23 shots.

Jack and Tiger's career accomplishments are pretty damn close. But Jack was never anywhere near as dominant was as Tiger in this period, and this should end the argument of who was the greatest ever IMO.

top 10 money list
jack 18 tiger 15.. tiger can get this one
major wins
jack 18 tiger 15.. hmm thats pretty much the same..

most wins in 20s
tiger 46
jack 30

most wins 30s
jack 38
tiger 33

years with a win
17 jack
tiger 16

majors top 3
jack 46
tiger 26

majors top 5
jack 56
tiger 33

majors top 10
jack 73
tiger 41

majors top 25
jack 95
tiger 59

so starting in 1997 when tiger really become full time dominant
he played 21 events and avg about 20+ for his dominant stretch

jack from 65-80 he played about 16x a yr.. so thats about 60 less events

jacks best stretch he 63-75
he won 5 or more 7 times 56 times in 13 seasons 270 starts

tigers hot streak 97-2010
he won 5 or more 9 times with 69 wins from about 250 starts

Tiger was more dominant in us hey-day in the lesser events against weaker competition for sure. Tiger wanted to win more in the lesser stuff. Jack wanted to win more of the majors and focused way less much earlier in his career on the avg stuff

tiger in his 20s won a ton
jack in his 30s really slacked off playing events but won a ton.

jack was done by 40 with his back issues playing any real solid golf, tiger still might get 5 more yrs if he can stay healthy.

biggest issue with masters is the Ryder Cup and the grass that time of yr

The Ryder Cup is not really an issue -- its a one week event, and they have played events right up to it before.

Players are not going to complain if the only way to get the Masters in is having to play the Masters / Ryder back to back in some combination.

I don't think the Masters committee is as anal as they used to be. If the course is not as pretty i don't think it will bother them like the past... but I could be wrong on that.

Tiger was more dominant in us hey-day in the lesser events against weaker competition for sure. Tiger wanted to win more in the lesser stuff. Jack wanted to win more of the majors and focused way less much earlier in his career on the avg stuff

I can't deny the top 3, top 5, or top 10 major statistics. But one would be foolish to ignore the two truths of those events. 1) International players were limited at 3/4 ** of the events when Jack played in the majors, and 2) Fields were just not as deep. (** The Masters did try to encourage international players more than the others but there was still some players that would get in today, but would not get in the past)

I can't agree with the bolded part either. This does not consider the restrictions on international players and international events, or the general lack of such events in Jack's day. There was no such thing as a WGC event which is a very strong field. The creation of the World golf rankings in the mid 80's changed a lot with respect to international players.

So there was no PGA fields like the WGC or the Players in Jack's day.

Tiger won 15 majors and 18 World Golf Championship events and 2 players.
That bring him down to 47 "other" victories.

Are you going to argue that the following are weak events at a level that Jack never played. These were the exact same level of events Jack would play during the regular tour.
3 Tour Championships?
8 Bay Hill Invitationals
5 Memorial's
2 Playoff Events
2 Doral
3 Western Open's (which was a very strong event)
1 Byron Nelosn
2 Mercedes Championships
1 Pebble Beach
1 Canadian Open (this may be a stretch)

That leaves 19 other victories which could be more middling events, and over 1/3 of those are Torrey Pines which is not that weak a field. That leaves 12 other events.

I don't buy the argument that Tiger padded his win total in modest events - at all.

Last edited:
at this point move stuff back and push the ryder cup to next yr to free up a couple weeks.

at this point move stuff back and push the ryder cup to next yr to free up a couple weeks.

If they do that the Ryder Cup will return to odd years. It deviated from that schedule after 9/11.

I dont know that the guys will want all the majors and the fed ex all jammed together and then try to do ryder cup too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom