2020 PGA Tour... | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2020 PGA Tour...

Except that Tiger is actually no where near the leaderboard. I'll be so glad to see ho-boy fade into the background - it will be sooner than most think.

Yes, people said he was done at the end of 2011 and early 2012 when his struggles were mighty. He would never win again. Never be dominant again. But starting in the summer of 2012 he won 8 times in 15 months, and reached the most dominant #1 position in the WGR in entire 2010's.

He got hurt again 2014 -- and people said he was done. He came back with some solid finishes in 2016. And got hurt again... people said he was done. He would never win again. He would never win another major. And then he had 2 great major finishes in 2018... won the tour championship in 2018... won a major in 2019.

People also forget that he won at the end of 2019 and was the best player at the 2019 president's Cup -- less than 10 months ago.

But yes he is done again and it will happen soon. Maybe you will be right this time, at this age and with injuries it could always be it-- if you say it every year eventually you will get it right.

Last edited:
Holy bleep! Two of the greatest putts I've ever seen. Both in the last 25 minutes.

Rahm's winning putt is probably one of the five best finishing putts of all time.

There have been a few playoffs this year with crazy putts -- at the first tournament at Jack's in Ohio Thomas/Murakawa had a crazy back to back putt sequence... but these today clearly outdid it.

Rahm's winning putt is probably one of the five best finishing putts of all time.

There have been a few playoffs this year with crazy putts -- at the first tournament at Jack's in Ohio Thomas/Murakawa had a crazy back to back putt sequence... but these today clearly outdid it.
Yup. Putt had 1.4% make rate and a 28% three putt rate. Amazing.

Yeah. It happened. It was raining earlier that week and he was wearing socks in his rental house. He slipped on some wet area on some hardwood stairs and took a nasty fall. There were some articles I think.
Edit: Here it is

Yes that was his story. I don't believe a word of it.

Dustin Johnson - the most unpredictable player in our time?

My boy Rory - having trouble concentrating but tied for the lead the next week.

Meanwhile on ESPN:

View attachment 186954

Except that Tiger is actually no where near the leaderboard. I'll be so glad to see ho-boy fade into the background - it will be sooner than most think.

Woods is an arrogant douche whose fall from grace is somehow compelling for golf fans. I'm not buying the phony "new improved Tiger is a nice guy." I was long ago sick and tired of watching Tiger hitch his belt, Tiger scratch his neck, Tiger scowl at a poor shot, Tiger glare at the crowds, etc, etc, etc while the media slobbers all over him, virtually ignoring the others who are playing and making shots. Although I confess some schadenfreude while watching him pout.

Woods is an arrogant douche whose fall from grace is somehow compelling for golf fans. I'm not buying the phony "new improved Tiger is a nice guy." I was long ago sick and tired of watching Tiger hitch his belt, Tiger scratch his neck, Tiger scowl at a poor shot, Tiger glare at the crowds, etc, etc, etc while the media slobbers all over him, virtually ignoring the others who are playing and making shots. Although I confess some schadenfreude while watching him pout.
I agree with being tired of his flaws but Did you at least enjoy when he completed the greatest stretch of dominance in the history of sports? Lol

Last edited:
I agree with being tired of his flaws but Did you at least enjoy when he completed the greatest stretch of dominance in the history of sports? Lol

He'll have many more chances at Augusta since that course is a joke

Yup. Putt had 1.4% make rate and a 28% three putt rate. Amazing.

I believe those putts gained statistics only factor in the distance of the putt. Because that putt was harder then most 66 footers due to the extreme break and the final downhill element of the putt.

sometimes those parts are easier because the break is really only half way and once you got it to that spot it was pretty simple putt..

Wow what a shank by Rory. Not sure I saw a pro hit a full swing from 200 about 30 yards. To be fair the rough was quite bad, but still a shank.

Yeah, my boy ilroy - I deleted the recording after that.

But it was not a shank.

Wow what a shank by Rory. Not sure I saw a pro hit a full swing from 200 about 30 yards. To be fair the rough was quite bad, but still a shank.

Yeah, my boy ilroy - I deleted the recording after that.

But it was not a shank.

Not sure what your definition is of a shank, but either way it was terrible.

So technically a shank can only be when you have a cleanish lie and mishit the shot terribly. If a ball is buried in thick Bermuda rough and you can’t even see it, you have no idea how the clubface will react. It’s a crapshoot sometimes even for the best players in the world. So yes we can def. call it a terrible shot, but I agree that “shank” is definitely not the word to use.

Last edited:
The following is the non- opening adjusted leaderboard. It's relevant for the players as for World Golf Ranking points, the tourney results only consider your non-adjusted score.

It also gives something else to follow if Dustin Johnson maintains that 3-4 stroke lead throughout the day as is quite possible.

As I also follow Canadian Mackenzie Hughes it is quite relevant for him, as he is currently a T10 rather than in 20th place, and with a good day could get a top 5 finish which could hem close to the top 50 ranking in the world and some of its perks (if he can stay there)

NameTotalScore
Schauffele
199​
-11​
Johnson
201​
-9​
Thomas
203​
-7​
Morikawa
203​
-7​
Scheffler
203​
-7​
Berger
204​
-6​
Im
204​
-6​
Hatton
204​
-6​
Ancer
204​
-6​
Rahm
205​
-5​
Mcilroy
205​
-5​
Todd
205​
-5​
Finau
205​
-5​
Griffin
205​
-5​
Hughes
205​
-5​
Munoz
206​
-4​
Hovland
206​
-4​
Matsuyama
207​
-3​
Reed
207​
-3​
English
208​
-2​
Simpson
209​
-1​
Kisner
209​
-1​
Champ
209​
-1​
Smith
209​
-1​
Dechambeau
210​
0​
Na
210​
0​
Niemann
211​
1​
Palmer
214​
4​
Leishman
214​
4​
Horschel
214​
4​

Last edited:
My take on the current scoring system is the same as when it was announced a few years back.

#1. The old system for the FEC that existed until 2018 was insanity and it needed to be changed. It was impossible to follow and having Steve Sand add 2630 or take away 210, or whatever craziness the formula did was just tough on a viewer and it needed to change.

#2. I long ago (10 years ago about !!) proposed that they use adjusted scores during the tourney to award the FEC. There would be two competitions going on --- but in this case the second score would not be a number like 2500 points, but also be vs par. So a player could be -10 in the tourney, and -15 in the FEC race. It would be each to determine the impact of each shot on both races.

#3. The new system in 2019 decided there was only one competition - the FEC using adjusted scores. Obviously they did this to emphasize the FEC element -- because if they kept raw and adjusted scores, people would focus less on FEC. But to me that can lead to blowouts -- it's always good to have a few things that are both very meaningful to engage the viewer.

#4. My biggest complaint. I always wanted adjusted scores vs PAR to determine the FEC. But the adjustment is just way to big. To have half the field starting 8 to 10 shots behind the leader makes no sense.

It should go something closer to
-5 for Leader
-4 for Second
-3 for third to fifth
-2 for sixth to tenth
-1 for 11th to 20th
0 for 20th to 30th.

It's still a fairly significant advantage for the top 5 in the field. But nothing like this week.

Last edited:
I think it is generally understood that a shank is when the hosel of the clubhead hits the ball causing it to shoot it out at a severe angle away from the golfer.

I think it is generally understood that a shank is when the hosel of the clubhead hits the ball causing it to shoot it out at a severe angle away from the golfer.

Yes, you are correct, looked it up.

"Shank has a very specific meaning. It's when a golfer hits the ball with any part of the club other than the face. This is hard to do, since a golf club doesn't have a lot of parts. The hosel is the main offender"

Either way it is still very rare for a player (a pro player) to attempt a shot that must fly about 200 yards, and hits it about 40.

The PGA Tour reallly needs to start rotating the tour championship site around. It would bring more character to the event.

In terms of # of strokes, the best in the tournament was Xander Schauffele.
Scottie Scheffler comes in with a quiet 2nd.

1599516564745.png

I'm sure there are persons out that that said that Tiger was washed up over the years - but none of them would be me.

I did predict in ~2009/2010 (on one of the forums here), when Tiger was on the leaderboard (or close to it) after 36 holes at the Masters, that Tiger only had a 50% chance of winning another major! This is when most were still expecting Tiger to beat Jack's major record. That prediction has held up very well.

I did expect that Tiger would have subsequent success, but I have been surprised at how well he did in 2013 and especially in 2018/2019 with the Tour and Masters wins and the great showing in the PC - that is a great ending to a great career.

I consider Tiger to be very close to being 'washed up', but I also consider him to be the best ever, so it will not surprise me if he pulls a couple more rabbits out of his hat.

Yes, people said he was done at the end of 2011 and early 2012 when his struggles were mighty. He would never win again. Never be dominant again. But starting in the summer of 2012 he won 8 times in 15 months, and reached the most dominant #1 position in the WGR in entire 2010's.

He got hurt again 2014 -- and people said he was done. He came back with some solid finishes in 2016. And got hurt again... people said he was done. He would never win again. He would never win another major. And then he had 2 great major finishes in 2018... won the tour championship in 2018... won a major in 2019.

People also forget that he won at the end of 2019 and was the best player at the 2019 president's Cup -- less than 10 months ago.

But yes he is done again and it will happen soon. Maybe you will be right this time, at this age and with injuries it could always be it-- if you say it every year eventually you will get it right.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom