2020 Preseason ... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Preseason ...

Yeah, it makes sense for some of the attack recruits to move to midfield. Ferris and Birtwhistle

I think the staff really likes Birtwhistle at attack but I think Ferris moving is almost a lock at this point, even moving both could make sense as you noted depending on how things shake out.

Ferris’ game doesn’t look like it translates to midfield unless he’s kind and of an inside guy like cometti. He doesn’t look like the most accomplished mid range shooter. He seems comfortable dodging a long pole though.

Ferris’ game doesn’t look like it translates to midfield unless he’s kind and of an inside guy like cometti. He doesn’t look like the most accomplished mid range shooter. He seems comfortable dodging a long pole though.

Ya I agree with your thoughts after watching some film on him. Not sure his game translates to Midfield at the D1 level. That said I am sure the staff will work with him and play him in a role that works best for his skill set ala Commetti as you noted. Will be interesting to see if SU tries to get a mid transfer or late recruit in next years class.

I don't know enough about lax to say how someone's game translates to a certain position, but I watched Ferris with his Albany Power peers for about 10-15 minutes this morning and he is a first class athlete. I'd say he's around 6'2"-6'3" maybe 185 lbs and he has the frame to add 15-20 lbs no problem. Everything he did was very fluid and natural and he displayed incredibly soft and quick hands. There certainly appears to be no reason to worry about the jump in level, at least from a physicality standpoint.

I don't know enough about lax to say how someone's game translates to a certain position, but I watched Ferris with his Albany Power peers for about 10-15 minutes this morning and he is a first class athlete. I'd say he's around 6'2"-6'3" maybe 185 lbs and he has the frame to add 15-20 lbs no problem. Everything he did was very fluid and natural and he displayed incredibly soft and quick hands. There certainly appears to be no reason to worry about the jump in level, at least from a physicality standpoint.
Ferris seems able to play to both sides of the net from x. Agree he is agile and fluid from either. For me, he is the first natural x attack recruited in some time. The jump to college may be too much for him, but I would start him there from his first practice and leave him there until he proves he cannot perform.

The twitter vid from last week shows Helmer playing with a long stick behind the goal defending an attackman. He seems like the player they move around the most, so maybe I shouldn't read too much into it, but it looks like he's at close D this season.

The twitter vid from last week shows Helmer playing with a long stick behind the goal defending an attackman. He seems like the player they move around the most, so maybe I shouldn't read too much into it, but it looks like he's at close D this season.

It's hard not to try and gleam everything possible from this quick videos, but he's also listed as defenseman on the roster (there are options for SSDM and LSM). It's a bit of a curious decision for me, he was starting at SSDM last year after all. Maybe Desko just feels really good about his options at SSDM and not so much about the close position? We shall see.

The drill seems to just be a 3v3 -I was only able to identify Nelson (the main ball carrier) and Berkman (the goal scorer).

It's hard not to try and gleam everything possible from this quick videos, but he's also listed as defenseman on the roster (there are options for SSDM and LSM). It's a bit of a curious decision for me, he was starting at SSDM last year after all. Maybe Desko just feels really good about his options at SSDM and not so much about the close position? We shall see.

The drill seems to just be a 3v3 -I was only able to identify Nelson (the main ball carrier) and Berkman (the goal scorer).
I'm right there with you in the coaches offices trying to figure out their thought processes. I'm not questioning it so much as, like you say, trying to gleam what it means for the team. If Helmer and Murphy are moved to close D from SSDM, they better have a couple good additions to the SSDM group. Oladunmoye is one. Who is the other? If the close D is Mellen, Murphy and Helmer, that is an athletic, skilled and experienced group. I think Bomberry is going to be so hard to replace. He was instinctual and highly skilled at knocking down passes. He ended opposing offenses' possessions with shot blocking, interceptions, ground balls. I know I keep harping on this, but it seems like a really big deal. If Kennedy gets bumped down to close D, he might be the closest thing they have to Bomberry. Murphy's high school highlights show some of those skills, but I don't know if they've translated to college.

I'm right there with you in the coaches offices trying to figure out their thought processes. I'm not questioning it so much as, like you say, trying to gleam what it means for the team. If Helmer and Murphy are moved to close D from SSDM, they better have a couple good additions to the SSDM group. Oladunmoye is one. Who is the other? If the close D is Mellen, Murphy and Helmer, that is an athletic, skilled and experienced group. I think Bomberry is going to be so hard to replace. He was instinctual and highly skilled at knocking down passes. He ended opposing offenses' possessions with shot blocking, interceptions, ground balls. I know I keep harping on this, but it seems like a really big deal. If Kennedy gets bumped down to close D, he might be the closest thing they have to Bomberry. Murphy's high school highlights show some of those skills, but I don't know if they've translated to college.

Grant Murphy does actually have some flashy stick skills with a longpole. Only really saw it a handful of times since he played mostly shortstick, but it is something in his arsenal. If Kennedy is bumped down he may be able to mimic some of Bomberry's pass blocking abilities, but we would still need someone to replace Bomberry's ability to body up against strong physical attack, which I don't see Kennedy being assigned to do. Also, while Kennedy goes after groundballs like a madman, he is not as skilled as Bomberry when it comes to picking the ball up and maintaining it with a longpole. I think Murphy can be that guy. Had some massive hits last year too, if you're looking to replace that aspect of Bomberry's game.

As Powellfan noted that appeared to be a 3 on 3 drill, Helmer is going play some LSM this year until the two frosh guys are ready as Kennedy is going to float between LSM and Close depending on the matchup. I don't believe he is an option to play close barring major injury issues or a one off matchup. Murphy as far as I know is definitely being moved to close or should see time there. I still think there is a good chance you will see a majority of Helmers time at SSDM with Fernandez and the two frosh battling for PT when Kennedy is bumped down to close. I do agree that Bomberry will be very difficult to replace, the closest guy is probably Staats if he is healthy but I don't think he is the loose ball machine Bomberry was last year, will be tough to replace for sure.

For SSDM the main players will be Dearth, Helmer, Dami, Dieball, Barlow and some of the young guys. SSDM I think its actually a big strength this year but I think next year could be an adventure with Dearth and Helmer gone.

Good post as always. I could talk till I am blue in the face about Bomberry and what he meant to last year's team. The ability to pick up the ball in traffic, to take away possession from the other team is so important. Bomberry reminded me of Sid Smith, and Smith was a big reason why the Orange won back to back titles in '08 and '09. A lot of Orange teams this past decade really struggled because they couldn't pick the ball up off the carpet and gave opposing offenses second and third chances, which can really wear a team down. I hope someone emerges but I don't have anyone off the top of my head that can come close to replicating Bomberry's skill. He would pick the ball out of the air with three guys around him and rush it up field. Such a unique talent. I just can't help and think, for so many defenders on this years team, its not really a strength. Not even Kennedy (who I think over runs the ball too much and ends up playing soccer with it), or Dearth (who is not on the wings for a reason). Hopefully DochtahLexus is right about Murphy!

Kind of surprises me that we haven't mentioned DiPietro - are people writing him off? I think he started in the Denver scrimmage though please correct me if I am wrong. He has a big frame and guarded Jack Ray when Bomberry was struggling two years ago. He always struck me as being pretty athletic as well and if you put him with Mellen and Murphy I think that gives you three pretty different defenders. I have penciled him in as a starter but maybe I am way off.

Anyways, I think Barlow is going to see significant time this year at short stick - he has the height and build to be a good defender and he generally plays very solidly. Not as flashy as some of the other guys, but he would be my pick to be a breakout performer.

For SSDM the main players will be Dearth, Helmer, Dami, Dieball, Barlow and some of the young guys. SSDM I think its actually a big strength this year but I think next year could be an adventure with Dearth and Helmer gone.

SSDM could be an "adventure" in two years, but probably not nearly as bad as it was in 2018 when we lost Gillis and Ciferri. We have some fairly set in stone backups who will have significant experience by then. Shouldn't just be throwing anyone into the position like in 2018.

Will say it again: Kennedy should play LSM 98% of the time. If there is a very specific match up to address where he would play close, fine. But his skill set and ability to affect the game is at the pole and that is where he should play virtually all the time. Bumping players up and down usually doesn't work out.

Helmer should, IMO, play SSDM. With Kennedy, Fernandez, Schulter and the two frosh, LSM should be covered. If Helmer drops down to close...that doesn't say much for the players behind Mellen, many of whom have been in the program a while. I have high hopes for Murphy, but really wanted to see Staats/DiPietro or someone else step at close so Helmer can add quality, experience and depth to the midfield.

2 cents.

Will say it again: Kennedy should play LSM 98% of the time. If there is a very specific match up to address where he would play close, fine. But his skill set and ability to affect the game is at the pole and that is where he should play virtually all the time. Bumping players up and down usually doesn't work out.

Helmer should, IMO, play SSDM. With Kennedy, Fernandez, Schulter and the two frosh, LSM should be covered. If Helmer drops down to close...that doesn't say much for the players behind Mellen, many of whom have been in the program a while. I have high hopes for Murphy, but really wanted to see Staats/DiPietro or someone else step at close so Helmer can add quality, experience and depth to the midfield.

2 cents.
I know what you mean ssdm was solid last year, and messing with it makes me nervous. However, I think it also makes sense to get your best players on close D because they will be there all the time and that should positively affect the communication and slide coordination. Again, replacing Bomberry is the biggest challenge and these moves all seem like an attempt to do that.

I had forgotten about Kennedy possibly moving to close. I agree with you that he's been very good at lsm, and would like to see that continue, but it goes back to replacing Bomberry. Maybe the coaches think their FOGOs are good enough that they can take Kennedy off the face off wings???

I know what you mean ssdm was solid last year, and messing with it makes me nervous. However, I think it also makes sense to get your best players on close D because they will be there all the time and that should positively affect the communication and slide coordination. Again, replacing Bomberry is the biggest challenge and these moves all seem like an attempt to do that.

I had forgotten about Kennedy possibly moving to close. I agree with you that he's been very good at lsm, and would like to see that continue, but it goes back to replacing Bomberry. Maybe the coaches think their FOGOs are good enough that they can take Kennedy off the face off wings???

With Kennedy I believe it comes down to two things.
1. He after Mellen is our best overall defender. He has taken top Middies and shut them down (not all of course but you get the point), he is an elite LSM who also has the cover skills to play close (see the Rutgers game last year). When your playing an opponent with multiple elite attackmen (Virginia) Kennedy has the cover skills to be Mellen light which is a huge advantage for SU. LSM does take a hit but Fernandez and Helmer are still a formidable combo and the staff is high on the two frosh.

2. I have heard that next year Kennedy is moving to close full time regardless to take Mellen's spot as the #1 defender and will draw every teams #1 attackmen.

2 cents.

I don't believe close is an option for Helmer at this point. Like the last few years he is likely to rotate between SSDM and LSM depending on if Kennedy is bumped down or if there is injury issues etc. Staats getting back to 100% health will go along way to sorting somethings out at close. Staff is also high on Murphy after his performance filling in for Bomberry last year. Some growing pains but he has the size and physicality you want to see at the position.

It's good to know there are options and the pieces seem to be falling in to place.

With Kennedy I believe it comes down to two things.
1. He after Mellen is our best overall defender. He has taken top Middies and shut them down (not all of course but you get the point), he is an elite LSM who also has the cover skills to play close (see the Rutgers game last year). When your playing an opponent with multiple elite attackmen (Virginia) Kennedy has the cover skills to be Mellen light which is a huge advantage for SU. LSM does take a hit but Fernandez and Helmer are still a formidable combo and the staff is high on the two frosh.

2. I have heard that next year Kennedy is moving to close full time regardless to take Mellen's spot as the #1 defender and will draw every teams #1 attackmen.

Thanks Jeremy, this is good stuff. Sometimes with Desko I think he just likes throwing names out and throwing out hypotheticals, just keep reporters and fans on their toes. To add another to the list, on the Brent Axe podcast he said they could use Mellen to guard elite midfielders if the circumstances called for it. They did do this against Navy two years ago and it did not work out well, Mellen is quick but I don't think he has the foot speed to keep up with really fast midfielders. Desko seems to like the idea of being flexible, but he doesn't often do it (I've only seen Mellen play midfield that one time).

Virginia is a good example of a time where you might bump Kennedy down, but how would you deal with Aitken? On the regular season lineup, I don't know of too many teams where they would employ Kennedy at close to be honest - Hopkins with Williams maybe but I don't think that's a good match up. Maybe Cornell depending on how their midfielders are performing? Potentially Rutgers? All in all I don't think there are many circumstances where you would need to bump Kennedy down (so long as you have Mellen). Most teams would still have an elite midfielder you'd want Kennedy covering.

Grant Murphy does actually have some flashy stick skills with a longpole. Only really saw it a handful of times since he played mostly shortstick, but it is something in his arsenal. If Kennedy is bumped down he may be able to mimic some of Bomberry's pass blocking abilities, but we would still need someone to replace Bomberry's ability to body up against strong physical attack, which I don't see Kennedy being assigned to do. Also, while Kennedy goes after groundballs like a madman, he is not as skilled as Bomberry when it comes to picking the ball up and maintaining it with a longpole. I think Murphy can be that guy. Had some massive hits last year too, if you're looking to replace that aspect of Bomberry's game.
Murphy's hs videos showed him to be good on the ground, fast and very athletic. Most of all, the videos did not hide his chippiness, some brutal but legal hits. Both have showed when he gets a chance at ssdm;. however, I would like to see him on the field all the time at close. He won't be as slick as Bomberry, but he may be able to handle the bigger attacks behind and in front of the net. There are a lot of ssdm possibilities in back of Dearth and whoever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom