2020 Schedule Release Wed. January 22, 2020 | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Schedule Release Wed. January 22, 2020

What ACC teams have FCS opponents schedule for week 1?
BC is the only one.

So it’s easy to just go to BC and say play Holy Cross a week early and you will get an extra bye week during the season.
Any smart coach would want a second bye week.
You play Holy Cross a week early. Get your players adjusted to a new system and host Syracuse week 1 with a game under your belt and they are playing their first game.

NC State at Louisville
Clemson at Georgia Tech

Then week 2
Louisville at Clemson
i believe to play in week 0 it has to be non conference and or p5

i believe to play in week 0 it has to be non conference and or p5
Holy Cross at Boston College can move to week zero.
It’s an FCS or Hawaii opponent thing.

Then have Boston College host Syracuse week 1.

Holy Cross at Boston College can move to week zero.
It’s an FCS or Hawaii opponent thing.

Then have Boston College host Syracuse week 1.
either way moving the holy cross game to week 4 or 5 or later and us playing bc week 1 is preferable

The only exception I can find says an FCS team can play Week 0 if the game is nationally televised. Good luck getting ESPN to broadcast that. Assuming that Holy Cross even wants to move the game up a week which would involve opening up training camp a week early.

17.10.3 First Contest. [FBS/FCS] An institution shall not play its first contest (game or scrimmage) with outside competition in football prior to the Thursday preceding Labor Day (see Figure 17-2). (Revised: 1/11/89, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 1/14/97, 5/12/05)

17.10.3.2 Exception -- Nationally Televised Contest -- Championship Subdivision. [FCS] In championship subdivision football, an institution may participate in a nationally televised (broadcast or cable; not Internet only) contest against a nonconference opponent during the weekend (Saturday-Sunday) before the Thursday preceding Labor Day. Participation in such a contest is limited to one institution per conference per year. An institution that participates in such a contest for two consecutive years may not participate in such a contest in the following year. (Adopted: 4/28/16 effective 8/1/16)

The only exception I can find says an FCS team can play Week 0 if the game is nationally televised. Good luck getting ESPN to broadcast that.

17.10.3 First Contest. [FBS/FCS] An institution shall not play its first contest (game or scrimmage) with outside competition in football prior to the Thursday preceding Labor Day (see Figure 17-2). (Revised: 1/11/89, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 1/14/97, 5/12/05)

17.10.3.2 Exception -- Nationally Televised Contest -- Championship Subdivision. [FCS] In championship subdivision football, an institution may participate in a nationally televised (broadcast or cable; not Internet only) contest against a nonconference opponent during the weekend (Saturday-Sunday) before the Thursday preceding Labor Day. Participation in such a contest is limited to one institution per conference per year. An institution that participates in such a contest for two consecutive years may not participate in such a contest in the following year. (Adopted: 4/28/16 effective 8/1/16)
ACC Network = National TV.

Boom roasted.
ACC Network is on the basic tier for cable boxes/satellite packages as CBS Sports Network.

I have no sources but I do know that Comcast still hasn't signed with Disney/ACC for ACCN, and Clemson is the biggest stick that Disney can use to drive changes here.

I will speculate that the ACC/Disney power brokers would like to feature Clemson playing a conference game opening week, against an ACC opponent, in as compelling a game as possible, to be played on ACCN. Advertise the hell out of the it and make Clemson fans crazy in their efforts to get ACCN. That is their best bet to force the hand of Comcast.

Their best bet for an interesting game is probably Louisville for 2020.

If they can find a way to free up BC so they can play Syracuse opening well, and they can schedule UL vs Clemson, I suspect this is their preferred option.

If this can't be done, we are probably going to see Clemson vs Syracuse the first week of the season, on ACCN.

My money is on Clemson vs Syracuse. But I am hoping we play BC in Boston that week. It would be a lot more fun of a road trip with nice weather and the Red Sox in town.

If Syracuse plays Clemson then Georgia Tech is in big trouble or has to move a game up to week 1.
The rest of the coastal is booked week 1.
NC State at Louisville seems close to a lock.
Their week 2 Opponent has a game scheduled for Thursday September 3 so that would take a lot of work to reschedule.

Which means Georgia Tech needs one of Syracuse or Clemson week 1.
Which is why that 6th ACC team playing a conference game week 1 is important to find out whom.

The only exception I can find says an FCS team can play Week 0 if the game is nationally televised. Good luck getting ESPN to broadcast that. Assuming that Holy Cross even wants to move the game up a week which would involve opening up training camp a week early.

That's interesting because Umass opened week zero against Duquesne in 2018 and there is a .000001% chance that game was on national tv.

That's interesting because Umass opened week zero against Duquesne in 2018 and there is a .000001% chance that game was on national tv.
It was on NESN and American Sports Networks.
UMass games on are Tv but not national TV.

It was on Eleven Sports

Damn just want bc as week 1 and yes I’ll type this a few times into the thread

If Syracuse plays Clemson then Georgia Tech is in big trouble or has to move a game up to week 1.
The rest of the coastal is booked week 1.
NC State at Louisville seems close to a lock.
Their week 2 Opponent has a game scheduled for Thursday September 3 so that would take a lot of work to reschedule.

Which means Georgia Tech needs one of Syracuse or Clemson week 1.
Which is why that 6th ACC team playing a conference game week 1 is important to find out whom.
I would think another Georgia Tech vs Clemson game to open the season would be the last thing the ACC and ESPN would want. Georgia Tech is not very good and they just did it last year. Why would they want that again?

Bottom line is there are an odd number of ACC schools with an open date for Sept 5th. Something has to change. There is nothing special about Georgia Tech compared to other ACC schools. Don't know why you have fixated on them.

I think the biggest driver when deciding what is going to be changed to make things fit is likely going to be the attractiveness of the matchups possible, and that points me to Clemson vs Louisville. There are a lot of ways to make the schedule work and lots of options. We will know soon how it all goes down.

I would think another Georgia Tech vs Clemson game to open the season would be the last thing the ACC and ESPN would want. Georgia Tech is not very good and they just did it last year. Why would they want that again?

Bottom line is there are an odd number of ACC schools with an open date for Sept 5th. Something has to change. There is nothing special about Georgia Tech compared to other ACC schools. Don't know why you have fixated on them.

I think the biggest driver when deciding what is going to be changed to make things fit is likely going to be the attractiveness of the matchups possible, and that points me to Clemson vs Louisville. There are a lot of ways to make the schedule work and lots of options. We will know soon how it all goes down.

Clemson plays Ville and we "host" Georgia Tech at the Yale Bowl, shout out to the late 70s! ;)

Clemson prefers a road game to a home week 1.
Especially if the game will be on a Thursday.
Their fanbase doesn’t like Thursday home games.

Georgia Tech could sell the game to Mercedes Benz Stadium like we do to MetLife and make more $$$.
The 2022 Clemson-Georgia Tech game is already scheduled for Mercedes Benz stadium.

I think if Syracuse is at Clemson.
Then Georgia Tech needs Gardner-Webb and Limestone to reschedule games. Maybe they play week zero.

Clemson plays Ville and we "host" Georgia Tech at the Yale Bowl, shout out to the late 70s! ;)
MetLife would make more sense than the Yale Bowl as I am sure we could get 30k at MetLife I doubt we could get 20k at the Yale Bowl.

MetLife would make more sense than the Yale Bowl as I am sure we could get 30k at MetLife I doubt we could get 20k at the Yale Bowl.

Wildhack better not pull a Gross.

Wildhack better not pull a Gross.
I was as anti-MetLife for home games as anybody on this board.
However if we have no choice and because of the Dome renovations we have to move one game I won’t be that angry.
The reconstruction has to get done and we can’t play at home. It’s not the conference’s job to do us any more favors than they can do.

I think we should play at Clemson before we moved any games to MetLife.

I won’t blast Wildhack if we are forced to play 1 home game away from the Dome because of this.
However I think we are going to be at Clemson or Boston College week 1.

I was as anti-MetLife for home games as anybody on this board.
However if we have no choice and because of the Dome renovations we have to move one game I won’t be that angry.
The reconstruction has to get done and we can’t play at home. It’s not the conference’s job to do us any more favors than they can do.

I think we should play at Clemson before we moved any games to MetLife.

I won’t blast Wildhack if we are forced to play 1 home game away from the Dome because of this.
However I think we are going to be at Clemson or Boston College week 1.
I believe there is no way we are going to move a home game to MetLife or anywhere for September 5th. I have heard John Wildhack repeatedly talk about how important it is to play our home games at the Dome. He hated the move to sell games to NJ, would not want to alienate HCDB or the fan base and the thing that drove that in the first place, the need for $$$, is now gone.

There are lots of other options that make far more sense than that awful idea.

I agree, we are going to open on the road, likely at Clemson or BC.

It was on Eleven Sports
I wrongfully assumed that was only a streaming service such as FloSports. That just goes to show that the national tv element is not scrutinized.

Georgia Tech could sell the game to Mercedes Benz Stadium like we do to MetLife and make more $$$.
Not happening.
GA Tech has already sent out their season ticket applications. They also already have their game against the Irish at the Benz this year.

I’m surprised they would see SU/Clemson as an attractive game. But if that’s going to help get the ACCN on Comcast, I’m all for it.