2020 Transfer Thread | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Article from August:

“Hackler said he has decided to take a leave of absence from that school in the fall semester. The Ivy League is one of several conferences across the country to postpone athletics until at least the spring semester.

If lacrosse resumes in the spring, Hackler said he’ll return then to play. If not, he said he’s prepared to sit out this whole academic year and come back in the fall of 2021.”
Hmmm don't think this counts us out completely but I guess it means there is no shot of us scooping him up for this season.

I'm a little confused how Irelan is still planning on getting a degree from Yale and potentially transferring this spring. Could someone enlighten me how this is possible? Did he have all the credits and just use the loophole and add a major?

Article from August:

“Hackler said he has decided to take a leave of absence from that school in the fall semester. The Ivy League is one of several conferences across the country to postpone athletics until at least the spring semester.

If lacrosse resumes in the spring, Hackler said he’ll return then to play. If not, he said he’s prepared to sit out this whole academic year and come back in the fall of 2021.”

Yes forgot about that. I remember hearing Hackler was a big fan of attending Yale so it would take a lot to get him out of there but perhaps there is a slight crack if the season for the IVY's is indeed cancelled.

I'm a little confused how Irelan is still planning on getting a degree from Yale and potentially transferring this spring. Could someone enlighten me how this is possible? Did he have all the credits and just use the loophole and add a major?

He likely already has his degree and is doing a grad year, remember hes been there 2 years plus this past fall. The only issue is he will need to match up his current grad degree with his new school.

Article from August:

[/QUOTE
Most of these kids use lax as hook to get into an ivy. It seems odd they would just abandon ship for lacrosse with a lesser education.

Last edited:
He likely already has his degree and is doing a grad year, remember hes been there 2 years plus this past fall. The only issue is he will need to match up his current grad degree with his new school.
My understanding was that Ivy's do not allow grad students to participate in athletics this is why I was confused.

My understanding was that Ivy's do not allow grad students to participate in athletics this is why I was confused.

Ya thats true, I believe he had some weird loophole that based on when he started he was still within the semester rule for IVY's. Perhaps he has been slow rolling his degree. I think it maybe harder for him to transfer then he thinks if he doesn't have a degree, under the previous rules you had to sit a year if it was your second transfer.

Would love to know how this is possible? Guess if a player can transfer to one school for football and then the next semester come back for Lacrosse ala Dox Aitkin, transfer rules really shouldn't matter at all.

Would love to know how this is possible? Guess if a player can transfer to one school for football and then the next semester come back for Lacrosse ala Dox Aitkin, transfer rules really shouldn't matter at all.

"Life has no meaning. We are all just water." - Despondent Michigan State basketball fan NCAA Compliance Office Spokesperson

I was noticing that Will Rock, who had shown up on UVa's roster in the fall, has dropped off it again. He would have been a plus for UVa. With Jared Conners back and players like Bower to give him a breather, LSM doesn't appear to be a problem area for UVa.

I guess one question mark for UVa will be whether Shellenberger will make some noise this year.

I was noticing that Will Rock, who had shown up on UVa's roster in the fall, has dropped off it again. He would have been a plus for UVa. With Jared Conners back and players like Bower to give him a breather, LSM doesn't appear to be a problem area for UVa.

I guess one question mark for UVa will be whether Shellenberger will make some noise this year.

We know Virginia's top 5 is very likely going to be some combination of Moore, Laviano, Bertrand, Cormier, Aitken. That means Shellenberger's absolute best case scenario is that he is #6, or the last guy on the first midfield line. But they have lots of other middies they need to mix in as well.

He might make some noise, but that's not where I thought he'd be in his sophomore year after coming into college as the #1 recruit in his class. There is still time left but he's on a trajectory to make Jordan Evans look like LeBron James.

We know Virginia's top 5 is very likely going to be some combination of Moore, Laviano, Bertrand, Cormier, Aitken. That means Shellenberger's absolute best case scenario is that he is #6, or the last guy on the first midfield line. But they have lots of other middies they need to mix in as well.

He might make some noise, but that's not where I thought he'd be in his sophomore year after coming into college as the #1 recruit in his class. There is still time left but he's on a trajectory to make Jordan Evans look like LeBron James.
I only acknowledge Moore, Laviano, Cormier and Aitken as obvious starters.
Bertrand in moving up from a lower level of program and is more of a question mark. He will be competing with top flight talent, although mostly less experienced.
From UVa's roster:
Tiffany on Bertrand
2021 – “Maneuvering to a new team is supposed to be tricky … seamless transition due to the incredible character and concern for others … with each week on the field, proving himself and the accolades that surround his past.”
Tiffany on Shellenberger
2021 – “Evolution of offensive tactics occurring in front of our eyes daily … Combination of powerful dodges being added to his explosive shot … learning both the midfield and attack roles.”
Tiffany on Jeff Conner:
2021 – “Preparing for the next step, the break out year … unselfish and a complete sponge, willing to learn and embrace teaching … the consummate teammate, a man you want on your midfield line.”

Last edited:

Never know, gotta be xtalented to be #1 but UVA has numbers and Aiken return while a boost does push back the line of those in wait including Dickson, Conner ,Garno, Bienkowski, Quinn to name a few. Attending UVA and enjoying Charlottesville is a good life for all. Do wonder if UVA pursues Betrand if they knew Aiken was returning. Fine get but somewhat luxurious given their overflow.

Colby Barker transferring from Ohio State to the Syracuse football team. No mention of if he'll play lacrosse, though it sounds like he's focused on football.

"I was mainly looking just to play football," Barker said. "Football's always, growing up, I don't want to say my first love because I loved both (football and lacrosse), but I think it was time for me to go see if I could do something else. I had my years of lacrosse and I think the only way I wanted to go to grad school and pay for more school was to play football."

He was an Under Armor All American but looks like he only scored two goals at OSU.

Colby Barker transferring from Ohio State to the Syracuse football team. No mention of if he'll play lacrosse, though it sounds like he's focused on football.

"I was mainly looking just to play football," Barker said. "Football's always, growing up, I don't want to say my first love because I loved both (football and lacrosse), but I think it was time for me to go see if I could do something else. I had my years of lacrosse and I think the only way I wanted to go to grad school and pay for more school was to play football."

He was an Under Armor All American but looks like he only scored two goals at OSU.

Interesting.

His older brother, Brandon Barker, was also on the Ohio State lacrosse team. Their 2019-20 roster says Brandon was a redshirt senior that season, "Played in all seven games and was one of the Big Ten’s best short stick defensive midfielders."

Im assuming he is a D mid? If so then would be glad to have him as we lose Dearth Barlow and Small next year.

Will look into it but seems highly unlikely he will play lax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom